• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

naden

Big game rifles

naden

Bored and thinking about hunting so I thought I'd start a new topic. Right now Im using two different lever rifles in 308. I dont necessarily prefer the levers but its what I have so its what I use. What is your preferred calibre and action for big game hunting. Im going to guess most are using 30-06 bolts or semis.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

I have a few but really 2 are my go to guns,

1-Ruger no1 falling block single shot in 7mag loaded to +3250fps with 150 grain swift scirrocco's.- bushnell 4-12 optics, moyers trigger and hammer, Hicks forend. . zeroed at 325yds. for hunting long slews and cuts. not something i want to carry all day being a 12lb rifle, nothing for recoil,

2- Tikka t3 lite stainless bolt action full camo wrap chambered in 338 federal, tossing 215gr sierra game kings. wearing a burris fixed 4x scope. pretty much my beater. strap it to atv or carry all day. Tough rifle with a great trigger right out of the box.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

brookiebuster

I like my Winchester model 70 300 win mag with a 3.5x10x40 scope and 180gr rounds. It shoots nice and flat. Good for hunting cuts and swamps.Have her zeroed at 200, can shoot it all day without noticing any recoil. The only downside to a magnum is the weight of the rifle.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

wampa

Browning BBR bolt action 300 Win Mag with Scorpion Optics Venom Hi Grade 3-9x4 AE-AO scope. Rifle has a muzzle brake on it so recoil is minimal.

Also use a Marlin 336C 30-30 lever action with Williams peep sight for close shooting on drives or stalks for deer.

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Porkchop21

1- Tikka T3 stainless lite full camo, 300WSM with a 3x9 Leupold V2, shooting 180's

2- Remington .308 semi with 3x9 Bushnell, shoot 180's as well.

On the hunt for a 30-06 though, was my first rifle and personally my favorite all around round.

naden

wampa how loud is that 300 win mag with the muzzle brake on it?

Bottom Bouncer

I shoot a Bolt action Tikka in a 270 shooting Federal 150 grain Nosler Partition. My vote for all round calibre would be 7mm Magnum shooting 160 grain Noslers in a Bolt Action. Whether it is deer or moose you will never feel over gunned or under gunned.

REELBAIT

MDR

Lee Enfield No4 with a no drill scope mount and a Bausch & Lomb 2.5-10x40 and Marlin 336 RC. Now just to find them critters

gsambray

Mossberg 4x4 in 7mm mag. Bushnell 3x9x40 scope and shoot harnady 165 grain bullets

Guest Wes

Mossberg 4x4 .270. Stock 3x9x40 scope. Shooting the Winchester ballistic silver tip 130 grain. I only hunt deer so I have no need for more than 130 grain at the moment.

Wes

naden

Im surprised I thought more guys would be using 30-06. My 308 levers are a 1959 model 88 winchester with a boyds laminate stock and limbsaver pad - no scope at the moment, and a browning blr from the nineties with a 2x7x32 leupold scope shooting 180s from both. Would like to purchase another leupold 2x7 or 3x9 for the winchester

Spectre

Browning BAR semi-auto synthetic 30-06 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite Scope, shooting 180gr for moose and 150gr ballistic tip for deer.

Buck 120

Tikka T3 synthetic stainless 30.06 bolt action with a Vortex Viper 2.5x10x44 scope

Remington 7400 30.06 semi automatic with a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 scope

Favourite bush, "close quarters" gun is my Winchester model 94 "big bore" lever action 375 calibre, open sights

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

wampa

wampa how loud is that 300 win mag with the muzzle brake on it?

Shooting it is ok but you don't want to be standing beside me. Very loud.

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Guest Beamer

Lefty Browning Bar Short Trac semi 270 WSM - 3-10 Bushnell Elite scope shooting 140 grain Accubond handloads

Thompson Pro Hunter Camo/Stainless 300 WM with Nikon Monarch 2.5 to 10 scope shooting `150 grain Accubond Handloads

Don't use either very much anymore as I am usually carrying a bow these days

Guest Mattyh

30-06 tikka t3 bolt action camo with a leupold VX2 3x9x40 shooting ballistic silver tips in 180 grain.

Kamhillbilly

Remington 760 sportsman in 30-06 , and for bush busting a marlin 1895GS 45-70 govt

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

RUM with 150's. thats a barrel burner :smiley-violent069:

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Guest DartonRage2

Hahaha ya I barely use it..its just so pretty to look at. Majority of my rifle kills were with the .32 cal I learned how to hunt big game with that gun in my hand I shot a buck that grossed 173 with it..I will never sell it its truly sentimental to me.

Travis Schallock

Remington Model 700 sporter with muzzle break in 280 Ackley Improved, Nosler Custom Bullets 140gr Accubond, Bushnell Trophy XLT DOA 600 scope 3-9x40. I bought it from a friend about 15 years ago, it is the most natural shouldering gun I have ever used. It has taken virtually everything in North America from coyote to Grizzly, except Muskox, Mountain Goat and Pronghorn. But now it is mostly bowhunting if I can.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

oneshot

Browning BBR 30-06 with a Redfield low pro 3x9x40, BSA .270 bolt action with a Bushnell 3x9x40. I use 180 gr. hand loads in the .06 and nosler partition 150's in the .270. Just picked up this BSA .270 and my first 2 shots at the range cut the same hole 3'rd half inch to the rt. at 100 yards, What a pleasure to shoot.

nwodeerhunter

Moose - Tikka T3 Lite Stainless Synthetic bolt action; 300 WSM; Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40; Winchester Accubond CT 180 gr.

Deer - Tikka T3 Lite Stainless Laminante bolt action; .243 Win; Simmons Actek 3x10x44; Winchester XP3 95gr.

I was also just given a Remington Gamemaster 760 pump in 308 Win that I put a Redfeild 3x9x50 on.

Not sure what to shoot out of it yet, I was thinking about the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 165 gr.

Anyone have any suggestions on what they like to shoot in the 308?

Tikka T3 Stainless/Laminate 300 WSM
Tikka T3 Stainless/Synthetic .243Win
Benelli Supernova RealTree APG 12Ga.