• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest scavs

chinooks

Guest scavs

Anyone having any luck with chinooks on the fly? I have tried streamers, egg patterns, bead heads, and various minnows.

I find with any shallow water situation it is extremely difficult not to spook fish, and the deeper pool situation the fish do not seem interested in any of my presentation choices.

I've honestly only triggered chinooks with cranks and spoons

kbrest

Not on the fly no, early September first trip out hit two Chinooks in the Nipigon that I posted in the Salmon Album. Would have loved to get them on the fly on a big fat streamer though. I have never gone to smaller rivers for Chinooks on the fly, went for pinks in Current and Mackenzie and I have not hit one yet. lol

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Not on the fly no, early September first trip out hit two Chinooks in the Nipigon that I posted in the Salmon Album. Would have loved to get them on the fly on a big fat streamer though. I have never gone to smaller rivers for Chinooks on the fly, went for pinks in Current and Mackenzie and I have not hit one yet. lol

Your time will come haha! You're due, and it isn't for a lack of trying that's for sure, them pinks can be tricky.

kbrest

They certainly do try my patience lol. Chinooks seem to respond better haha. Hey scavs if you don't mind me asking, what rivers have you been trying. I have fished pretty much all rivers east of Tbay for steelhead but not for salmon, but I would say some sort of streamer that looks like a minnow, drifted in the current. But your right the shallow water where you can see them swimming by can be difficult for stealth purposes. Keep doing what your doing with eggs, nymphs, streamers and variations of each until something works. I wouldnt think the chinooks would be as reluctant to eat as the pinks though.

Guest scavs

wolf for chinooks on the fly.... I've had a few good trips to the nip but no fly

I'd love to try further east as I haven't been since august end thanks to school.

I don't even think my 6wt would handle a big chinook...it would sure be interesting though. Another reason why I also need to pick up an 8wt.

spindilla1

I think a 6wt could, there really is only one way to find out.....

:closedeyes:

That's true...I may be heading to wolf on Monday to see what's kicking around. May get a chance to test it out then.

flybum

In the river, a 6wt is enough, I landed a 15lb on a 7wt last year.

Let me follow it up by saying a 6wt would t be ideal. Stick with something heavier if possible.

Bullshark

I don't fly fish, but before you say anything these fish were caught on woolly buggers that I tie and use with a spinning rod. They seem to work very well. They are my favorite thing to use in the fall, after spinners.

post-1478-0-05081900-1381263128_thumb.jp

post-1478-0-77930700-1381263156_thumb.jp

There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

brookiebuster

Deadly!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

AB

In the river, a 6wt is enough, I landed a 15lb on a 7wt last year.

Let me follow it up by saying a 6wt would t be ideal. Stick with something heavier if possible.

Depending on the size of the river, and the flies you are presenting, you can even make due with a 5wt.

But the flip side of the coin is what are you going to do with an exhausted chinook if you bring it to hand?

Use the heaviest stick you have to bring in the fish after its been hooked. If you want to challenge yourself, drop the weight of you tippet.

Unless you like eating rubber boots and plan on harvesting a blackend chinook salmon, bring enough rod to get them in without totally exhausting them to the point that you spend more time attempting to revive a fish then actually fishing.

Save the lighter rods for smaller salmon like pinks and coho.

iceman

Weekend coaster

Are the chinooks still in the wolf? Are they still eatable or are they all half dead

Heisenberg

I was out on Sunday. There were a LOT of giant "Zombie Salmon" hanging out in the pools and some were still spawning. All exhibited serious deterioration. They were pretty much dead, just didn't know it yet. I tossed some streamers, egg patterns etc to no effect. One snaggerman (whoops, I meant "fisherman") proudly showed off his 15 pound trophy. When he opened the cooler my nose was too close. Much too close :sick:

I'm hoping it was meant to fertilize the garden.

A bit down from the highway there were many carcasses in the river and on the bank.

H

Bobber Down

post-1835-0-16330200-1382419515.gif

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!