• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

randomheroj

Do think it's ok to shoot albino moose and do you think they were wrong?

randomheroj
ghart

Cultural significance should have made the moose protected - I know albino deer are protected in some areas of Nova Scotia. The hunters are within their rights and are trying to make peace. Nova Scotia is incredibly restrictive on hunting/fishing and it surprises me the albino moose weren't protected.

To me shooting an albino animal is no different however it has no cultural significance to me.

I would never shoot one as the genetic mutation that causes albinism can cause other issues within the animal itself. Plus they are nice to watch. We had a family of albino deer where I lived in NS, someone shot one and people were outraged.... I didn't get why.

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Nope, don't think so. Why kill something so cool and rare. I've seen them in person and would like to have that chance again. I would also like my son to have a chance at seeing them as he gets older. Just my 2 cents.

randomheroj

I fully agree with both statements and they were my argument

brookiebuster

If its legal who cares. Moose is a moose. Wont be a difference after grilled.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest mucky

Cultrual significance? If the provincial and federal laws state that this animal was legally allowed to be hunted, even with its genetic abnormalities then its fair game. There are lots of animals that are "culturally significant" to many different cultures but are still allowed to be harvested as sport. I think the shame should go to the native community for making their "outrage" public and making the hunters feel like they had done some immoral. Props to the hunters for trying to make things right by donating the hide, they truely are sportsman.

While I would never shoot an albino animal out of my personal preference, I would never look down on someone else who has a difference of opinion.

eddylives

Albino.......the other white meat......lol

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

gsambray

Its hard enough at times to fill a tag. If i were to see an albino moose and let it walk away that may have been my only chance i get that season. So yes i would shoot an albino moose as long as its legal. I hunt for the meat not trophy.

• Like 1

levi64

I think an albino moose is special and I'm not that hungry to take down such a rare find. Laws and rules,, is it legal,, what ever.

I think it comes down to the kind of person you really are.

gsambray

Wouldnt that fall into the same class as catching a record fish? Yes i know you dont pick which size fish you catch but say you caught a 17lb brookie. Got the new record get a mount done but in the end that fish is gone. Thats also a very rare moment. Put yourself in this scenario. Last day of moose season and you still have your bull tag. Youve been out all day and ten minutes till dark a big albino bull steps out broadside giving you the perfect shot. Would you pull the trigger or let the tag go to waste.

NorthwestHunter

I really dont understand how this is a debate?

It seems to be perfectly legal where it was shot...so whats all the fuss about?

What if the people of Kakabeka had "cultural signifigance" to 12 point bucks??? Better not shoot one if you see one - dont want to hurt someones feelings!!

Silly example...but I mean come on...

Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

eddylives

There is no right answer to this debate.

Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and beliefs when it comes to this situation.

Some are kill em and grill em........others would shoot with a camera and let it walk away.

Each has their own reasons for their actions and no one persons decision is the absolute correct one.

This is just the way I look at things like this now that...... I am a little older and wiser.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

callawaydan

in the timmins foleyet area the albino moose are protected,you are not allow to shoot them.i thinks its the only place in ontario that the albino moose are protected.

robbo

That tag would be hung on the christmas tree, not a second thought about it. Hopefully along with a rare photo of that moose. I too am not so hungry or poor that I couldn't let an animal walk away. I also don't shoot an animal just because. How about this scenario? First day of moose season, 10 minutes after sunrise and an albino bull steps out. Would you fill your tag and be happy with the freezer full of meat? What if it was the last 10 minutes of the season and a plain ol' cow poked out across the cutover, long shot and a little head on? Waste the tag or pray and squeeze? I'm not judging, I hunt with folks that go either way depending on their mood. I just know what I would do.

• Like 1

going fishing is okay, going catching is great!

SherpaJ

If it has "cultural significance" to you, then thats fine. But there are thousands of different religions! Don't try and push your beliefs on others and don't expect them conform to you. Sure, the best way is to have respect for others' beliefs and customs, and do what you can to show it, but you can't expect that from others.

Not to sound barbaric or redneck, it's still just a moose! It may be a rarely occurring congenital disease, but moose aren't a rare animal. Until moose become an entirely rare specie, there will always be albino moose out there. Like there are of nearly every animal!

That being said, I don't think I would shoot an albino moose, but I don't care if somebody else did. What I have a problem with is people outraging, many of which having no cultural ties to the white moose. Its good to see that the hunters respected the Mi’kmaq people.

• Like 1

spindilla1

I find it funny how a white moose has significance in the native community......ironic

• Like 1