• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Ice fishing flies

Well that time is coming near. Soon it's going to be augers and ice huts. I began experimenting with flies while ice fishing last season. Was a little slow going at first but eventually picked up. I was able to hook into perch, walleye, whitefish, specks and one small laker. I was using chironomid patterns as well as some other nymphs such as hares ear, prince nymphs, and some other made up concoctions. I am wondering does anyone else have any preferred flies that have produced in the winter? Any cool stories or tips?

brookiebuster

For specks I'll tie a natural coloured woolly bugger, then add a 1/16oz jig with a worm or minnow off the fly as a dropper. Even adding worm to the fly works. The fly goes a few inches below the hole then the jig gose about 2 feet off bottom. Has worked pretty good when they're active.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

That's a good idea. I did something similar on whitefish lake last season. I used a pink bugger below a green and yellow chironomid. I got walleye on the bugger and perch on the chironomid. We got about 40 fish between 3 of us. I was the only one using flies and got 20 of them.

AB

Size 16 and size 14 brassies for perch. Peacock and ostrich herl for the head. Tie them heavy!

Have fun!

Iceman