• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RXP757

Icefishing Whitefish

Guest RXP757

Hi all,

I will traveling up to Whitefish at the end of February of this coming year (2014). I would like some general information as to how Perch and Walleye are targeted on Whitefish during this time of year. I'm from Wisconsin and have been fishing my whole life, but have yet to fish this lake. I understand the max depth to be 22ft, making the entire lake a larger target. If anyone can help with some tips/info/presentations that would be great! If you would like to share more than general info, feel free, but as always I don't like to prod for that 'secret' spot:)

Thanks so much!

Some Old Guy

Hi RXP757 and welcome to the site.

During the time that you will be angling on Whitefish Lake the deeper portion of the lake (which is quite small in comparison with the rest of the lake) will not be a good choice due to oxygen depletion. I would target the vast shallower areas.

The perch are caught exactly the same way you guys catch them down there. Small jigs tipped with plastics, maggots (wax worms) small minnows or a small chunck or night crawler. Small jigging raps, small spoons seem to be the norm.

The walleye will bite the mentioned baits above during the day. As we are allowed two lines on line can be used to catch perch the other one can be set up as a still line with a medium to large minnow for walleye.

Try to find weed edges. You will likely have to drill many holes over large areas to find the weed edges as the weeds grow thickly in different spots year to year.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

gsambray

Is there a weed edge on whitefish cause i always thought the edge was the shoreline lol