• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
naden

tbaytel vs shaw

naden

Im considering changing my tv/internet/home phone provider from shaw to tbaytel. Anyone have any comments or opinions on the tbaytel internet and tv and how they compare to shaw. Thanks.

Bobber Down

What has happened to make you consider switching? What don't you like about Shaw? Was it a better deal being offered? In order to give a knowledgable answer one must have had service from both companies for a length of time to be able to compare service, speed and price. Both have incentives to switch. Both raise the prices after the incentive period is over. Is one actually better than the other in some small way? I have always been with Shaw. So long I can't remember why and when I started with them. Probably because Tbaytel didn't have high speed internet and an extensive lineup of cable channels back then. My home phone is still with Tbaytel though. No plans to change or "bundle" as they like to call it.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

naden

If the info Im reading is correct, and I have talked to both companies on the phone as well. I'd be saving roughly 25 bucks a month while having essentially the same phone service, but faster internet than i currently have and more channels. Tbaytel is also offering a whole home pvr for free. This is not an incentive or promotion, it is the regular price. To upgrade from my basic digital box to whole home pvr shaw wants an additional 10 dollars a month and a 2 year service contract. As far as I understand tbaytel does not require a service contract.

It seems like a no brainer to me, but i would still be interested to hear any stories from people who have had both and which they preferred.

ROCKWOOD BAIT

I've had both and I like supporting tbaytel. Tbaytel puts 26 million dollars annually back into the city, that's a lot less property taxes needed each year because of it.

A few years ago I had shaw and I got a call from them because my kid was uploading too many gigs of movies for the one month even though for years we used 10% of our limit. The guy from shaw calling from Calgary was rude and said we would be charged a commercial rate if we went over the next month. We switched to tbaytel and have unlimited uploads and never looked back. The PVR is great too.

I know if I call tbaytel the wait time is much shorter than calling shaw in Calgary.

Did I mention Tbaytel gives $26,000,000.00 each year back to the city and employs many more of our local friends and neighbours.

• Like 1

rockwoodbait.jpg

eddylives

" Did I mention Tbaytel gives $26,000,000.00 each year back to the city and employs many more of our local friends and neighbours".............................................Agreed.........better for our local economy and if I had to change I would go with tbaytel.......but currently have bell expressview as the dish can catch signal almost anywhere lol

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

fisherdude

My families switchin to tbaytel any day as we have tbaytel everything already, and a free pvr sounds good to me

DJL66

I had shaw cable for many years and when Tbaytel started to promote their service and include a better PVR system for free I was interested. So, I had called Shaw to ask them if they would upgrade my existing PVR to something that Tbaytel had. Well, long story short they told me to pound salt as they do not give their products away. So I cancelled my service with them and have been with Tbaytel for almost 2 years now. I would love to tell you it has been problem free and all roses but that is not the case. I have had many issues ie: waiting on hold for a tech for upwards to 3/4 hour on numerous occasions, the system having to be rebooted many times due to ? power interuption, 2 new PVR's each time losing all my stored programing, I have had a tech to the house a more than a few times now and they cannot seem to figure out why I am having so many problems as it seems like it may be an issue with the service line outside. Each time I am dealing with a Tbaytel customer service tech they have been very helpful and knowledgeable so I cannot be upset with them its just very frustrating that I am having so many issues.

I did save a lot with their bundle package as I have everything with Tbaytel so that is an incentive to stay as well as keeping the profits within the city.

naden

I had shaw cable for many years and when Tbaytel started to promote their service and include a better PVR system for free I was interested. So, I had called Shaw to ask them if they would upgrade my existing PVR to something that Tbaytel had. Well, long story short they told me to pound salt as they do not give their products away. So I cancelled my service with them and have been with Tbaytel for almost 2 years now. I would love to tell you it has been problem free and all roses but that is not the case. I have had many issues ie: waiting on hold for a tech for upwards to 3/4 hour on numerous occasions, the system having to be rebooted many times due to ? power interuption, 2 new PVR's each time losing all my stored programing, I have had a tech to the house a more than a few times now and they cannot seem to figure out why I am having so many problems as it seems like it may be an issue with the service line outside. Each time I am dealing with a Tbaytel customer service tech they have been very helpful and knowledgeable so I cannot be upset with them its just very frustrating that I am having so many issues.

I did save a lot with their bundle package as I have everything with Tbaytel so that is an incentive to stay as well as keeping the profits within the city.

I did the same thing, phoned shaw to see what kind of deal they could give me and it sounded like it was going to cost me more than what I was already paying. So I switched to tbaytel and set a day for an appt. When I called shaw to cancel they tried everything to keep my business and were now willing to drop my rates and give me upgraded receivers for free, they basically wouldnt take no for an answer and told me that tbaytel was laughing at me and that it was not a better deal. They have sent me a letter since and also left a message asking me to confirm that I am leaving and that I would like to switch my number to tbaytel. I havnt returned their call as I see it as just another chance to try and change my mind.

I wish companies like shaw would just give you the discounted rates right from the get go and not only when your walking out the door. Its obvious that they would still make a profit at the discounted rates so it leads me to beleive that shaw has been overcharging me for years. Tbaytel is being installed next week, they have a great xmas special going right now and even after the promos have ended I will be getting a better deal and contributing to a local company. Hope I dont have any of the issues you are referring too.

spindilla1

Tbay tel is full of problems and issues, yes they may put their money back into the city but they have money for expansion to make things better for the people of the city, they do not even attempt to do this. Shaw is far Superior IMO, this city needs more competition to smarten those goofs up at Tbay tel. If they had more than one competitor they would probably be out of business. From my knowledge of high speed internet cable is always faster than DSL unless your running fiber but who can afford that. Shaw all the way.

Just my 2 cents.

tracker

I have had many bad experiences with Shaw. The last time was this summer. My wife had bundled the TV , phone and internet together with them. We were leaving for camp on a Thursday afternoon and I noticed the Shaw service truck in the backlane. When we got home on Sunday afternoon, we had no TV, phone or internet. I have a emergency cell phone that I use in the bush and it is on a pay as you go plan. This was my only means to contact Shaw. After a 40 minute wait, the tech guy says that I must have a problem with the cable coming into the house and I proceed to tell him that the problem is that my cable has been disconnected at the pole and their service truck would have been responsible for this. His reply was that they could have a truck out on Monday as their "On Call" guy has already gone home for the day??????? I work in a service dept and know how a customer expects to get treated and I voiced my concerns to the tech, his answer was "sorry" and he would look into it. He called me back and said that they could have tech out early the next day but myself or my wife would need to be home. I lost it and told him that that was not going to happen and I expect that my service will be working when I get home. I also demanded that someone with some authority needs to call me back as I have been without service for 4 days that I will be paying for , no call back. My service was working when I got home from work.

I guess bundling does have it disadvantages when you lose all your services at once.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

WalleyeWayne

Why does TBayTel have a $26,000,000 /yr surplus to begin with??? Is it because they are over-charging from the on-set?

levi64

Why does TBayTel have a $26,000,000 /yr surplus to begin with??? Is it because they are over-charging from the on-set?

And There it is..............When you are the only show in town for so long you get use to giving it to the customer from the back side..........

kbrest

And There it is..............When you are the only show in town for so long you get use to giving it to the customer from the back side..........

Edited

naden

So far so good with tbaytel and Im happy I switched. Im not sure why everyone seems to think tbaytel is gouging their customers? I have upgraded both my tvs to digital pvr, my internet is faster, the wireless router was free and it faster than what I had before, the channel lineup is roughly the same as what I had before and the home phone service is the same as what I had at shaw...........for roughly 30 bucks less a month. In my situation it was deff shaw that was doing the gouging.

spindilla1

Your internet is faster than what? dial up?

It can't be faster than cable or T1 that's for sure.......

naden

Your internet is faster than what? dial up?

It can't be faster than cable or T1 that's for sure.......

It is faster than the package I had with shaw, which was 7.5 mbps. It is noticeably faster when using the internet, the newer router is probably helping as well.

SherpaJ

I had just shaw internet, no phone, no tv, just internet. Then this week they called me to tell me they would install PVR tv and a home phone for only $5 more a month!!! I couldn't turn it down, so they came two days later and now I have more channels than I'll ever need, and they're all HD. They've treated me well so far.

My cell phone service is with tbaytel and I can't stand it; every months bill is a battle with them and Tbatel has almost no coverage at all in Saskatchewan or Manitoba!