• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

gsambray

deer hunting success

Mr. Canoehead

Went for an evening hunt after work on a falling barometer the tuesday before halloween. Crown land up 527. Sat in the tall grass at the back of a cut. Saw a nice buck when he snorted at me from the treeline...busted. 20 mins later a doe snuck up behind me, almost ran me over, spooked, I froze, it ran, looped around, stopped and bang. Figured I never took a doe before and I don't have all that much time for chasing a buck this year anyways. May as well eat a tasty doe! Besides i got a half a moose in the freezer. Will be doing some fall fishing and small game hunting this year!

gsambray

Had a buck come into a few calls but wouldnt step out in the open. He stuck around for about 45 minutes till i stopped hearing him. It was kinda different than im use to since he would snort 3 or 4 times in a row then go ape sh!t on the brush. He did this 6 times till it just stopped. Never had that happen before

fishingfinn

Spent most of the day in the stand, saw 1 buck. Around noon, about 40 yes away a doe comes tearing out of the bush with a decent 6 point buck hot on its heels. I gave a few soft grunts, to see if the buck would stop and come a little closer (I'm using a crossbow). The buck stopped, then turned away. I could hear him for the next few hours tearing at trees, but I couldn't get him to to come back into the open. Try again tomorrow I guess!

Guest Beamer

Got my very first deer today, came in to a grunt call after crossing the hydro lines 150 yards upwind. A big thanks to the guys with the quad who helped me for the last 100 yards of the solo 1.5k drag. I'm incredibly grateful for the help (and the celebratory beer afterward!)

ruxu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Very nice, congrats on your first Love the old Enfield!!!

Beamer

PRO V

Got my very first deer today, came in to a grunt call after crossing the hydro lines 150 yards upwind. A big thanks to the guys with the quad who helped me for the last 100 yards of the solo 1.5k drag. I'm incredibly grateful for the help (and the celebratory beer afterward!)

ruxu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Congrats on the buck, great picture. Just got back from a week sitting in a tree in Dryden it was a slow week everything was moving at night and during the day they were hanging back, it snowed yesterday and today then they started moving, the bucks are just starting to chase the does, Was able to take a 10 pointer 9.00 this morning.

Mike

Guest mucky

Went out again this morning for a few hour hunt. Within 20min I was able to call in a young, small 6 pointer with a doe bleat. Watched him for a little while before he decided enough was enough. About an hour and a half later I was able to call in a large bodied deer with only one antler, looked like what would have been a decent 8 point. He came in to a series of snort wheeze, grunts/rattling. So far I have passed on 4 bucks prior to this large one because I was hoping to get something with some antler mass. Looking back I think im just being a bit shallow. I had the big guy lined up at about 80-100yrds maybe, quartering to me and was just waiting for him to turn a bit more and get myself steady on a tree. He picks his head up, lifts his ears, blows a nice big snort at me and takes off. Just my luck.

Im thinking if I heard out tomorrow im just going to fill the tag whether is big or small if im lucky enough to see something again.

milspec

Thats it.. I'm taking a week off work, I need this freezer filled up lol.

Guest mucky

Went out again this morning for what I told myself was going to be the last time this year. With a one month old at home, grad school, and work I just dont have time to commit to serious hunting. After the first 1.5 hours of calling and no response, I thought Ive seen a lot of deer in the few hours Ive hunted this year and thats good enough for me. Packed up my stuff and headed out. When I got to the edge of the field heading towards my truck I said, why not one quick bleat. Sure enough I put the can down and out runs a deer from the bush. I pick up the xbolt, take a look, its a small 6 pointer which at the time was good enough. Hes hanging in the shed awaiting the butcher shop next week.

Ive been lucky to call in 3 separate bucks, on three separate occasions these last two days. I think it wouldnt hurt others on here to give calling a shot.

Freud

Nice to hear you got your buck!

I've put the .270 away for the year. Filled all but one of my tags...have to leave some for next year ^_^

Lost my wedding ring cleaning a deer. That was not good news but my wife, being the optomist she is, says "now we can get matching bands (10 year anniversary soon...)". Guess there's a silver lining to everything. :wacko:

Good luck to everyone still out there!

gsambray

Well got more deer meat thanks to the person who hit a nice buck the other day. Not much damage and fresh since a friend seen it get hit. Heading out saturday again. Hopefully the same thing doesnt happen again. I was sitting in my folding chair watching a small clearing. I called and instantly had a response. I called again as the deer thrashed in the brush. This went on for awhile till he snorted at me. I snorted back and thats when a big buck crashed out of the bush behind me. It scared the crap outta me lol. I jumped out of my chair turned around to see this buck litterally a few feet away from me. He snorted once and ran back in the bush. I didnt even get a shot. It happened so fast and instantly made me decide to buy a tree stand. I forgot how well a deer can pin point were a call is coming from. Lost the deer and didnt see anything else that day. All i got was a bird an awesome memory and a minor heart attack lol

MDR

Thanks for the good words everyone!

Very nice, congrats on your first Love the old Enfield!!!

Beamer

The .303 is a winner in my book, although I'll likely use the 30-30/compound bow next year or at least put the sling back on the enfield. She gets a bit heavy after carrying all day.

Cheers

naden

Ive been out several times in the last week and have no luck calling at all, tried grunting, rattle bag, and bleat can. Lots of fresh tracks in the snow where Im hunting not sure why I havnt seen anything. Might have something to do with the two wolves I saw this morning.

luckmedic

I filled a doe tag this evening, one left to go. Had to pass on the 12 point buck I called in because I shot an 8 pointer 2 weeks ago, but a spiker pushed a nice mature doe into my stand right after that so I can't complain (other than a broken arrow). I'm bow-hunting in city limits around the Rosslyn Rd area, and I've shot both my deer this year around 10 min past sunset. I've sat mornings, afternoons and evenings, but they've been moving exponentially more around sunset and just after. This is only my 2nd year hunting and 4th deer shot so take this for what little it's worth lol but it's what I've noticed, especially since the rut started. God bless and happy hunting.

:smiley-sport020:If you wanna blow smoke, go have a dart. :fishing:

Guest mucky

There are some articles that can be read on the net regarding the "rutting moon" that is suppose to take place this weekend. While this is just one of the multiple theories about the timing of the deer rut. Whether or not you chose to believe it is totally up to the hunter, but this theory says that there might be an increase in your chances of seeing deer this weekend around the 17th. Im not saying that I believe it 100% but it is an interesting theory. Hope you guys/gals have some good luck this weekend.

Monks

I have kept a rut journal for 9 years and use the Rutting moon and other info. I plan my hunts around this time consistently and see bucks moving mid day consistently. I will be in the stand all day for the next few days. Today saw lots of deer and trail cams loaded with pics last 2 days with bucks moving all day. The next week Is prime time around tbay. Good luck

Bottom Bouncer

Thanks for sharing that Kyle it will give me more confidence sitting no stand.

REELBAIT

Bottom Bouncer
:)

REELBAIT

SherpaJ

Thursday was a very active day. Myself, along with four friends tagged out with great bucks. All of which were shot between 11 and 4. My buck came from directly up wind of me, thank god for the crunchy snow or I might not have got him. I was setup watching the bush line to the west 250 yards away and he appeared 30 yards away over my shoulder walking at a brisk pace, he didn't stand a chance. I've been hunting another super mature buck, but I couldn't pass this opportunity, since I still have school work to do and will be getting really busy with term projects and exams (Just when it gets to be my favourite time to hunt; Post-Rut). This is the earliest I have ever tagged out, and it feels really weird, already anxious for next season! I wish I could buy another tag just to give me an excuse to go out and see if that other buck shows himself. I guess I'll have to just take my camera.

post-1969-0-92465200-1384615441_thumb.jp

post-1969-0-91017000-1384615514_thumb.jp

gsambray

I missed a giant buck today. I spent the rest of the day searching to make sure it was a miss. Go back in the morning for first light and sit again. I just hope the shot didnt scare everything out of the area

randomheroj

I'm going out to my buddy's place Tuesday I'm going to try to fill three tags in one day. Hopefully I get one atleast but it would be awesome.

brookiebuster

Beautiful buck!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

ghart

Called out a 6 pointer two weeks ago, and a 9 pointer last Thursday .... didn't like the way it was looking at me so he went down.

Couple bleats followed by a few tending grunts...

6 pointer came out in minutes - larger one took some time.

• Like 1

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

NorthwestHunter

I harvested my 2013 buck on Friday morning at 10:15 am.

I spent close to 20 straight days in the stand and passed up countless deer waiting for the big guy.

This big guy came in from directly downwind shortly after spraying some synthetic doe estrus…I guess that stuff actually works.

He's got 13 score-able points and green scored at 159-6/8" Gross, for my personal best buck.

I'm one happy hunter.

Paul

post-1164-0-90196000-1384837552_thumb.jp

post-1164-0-35931900-1384837664_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

Kaptain Kirk

Hey Paul

Congrats on your Personnel Best, Great Looking Buck Way to go, I took a Nice 10 on Sunday, and he is Thick and Heavy not sure what he green scores at but i would think 140 / 150.

Cheers KK.

brookiebuster

Sweet buck! Got to love the chocolate rack!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent