• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

flybum

Tying season!!

flybum

A quick pic of my big flies...

It's coming up on that time to fill the boxes!

What's your favourite big fish pattern!?!?

post-1898-0-71251100-1383752058_thumb.jp

• Like 1

brookiebuster

Sweet ties! For big flies I usually tie up large sculpin or other baitfish patterns. Also large strip leeches work good.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

flybum

Agreed brookiebuster! I just got some AMAZINGLY large bunny strips in the mail the other day, purple and chartreuse for the spring!

• Like 1

FlyGal

Those look sweeet!!! I love using giant streamers. Ever put on a square foam head? It creates a really cool wake and noise for pike / musky fishing.

I typically don't leave the tail too long - so the fish don't take it too short and miss the hook.

RR ~ :)

• Like 1

flybum

Those look sweeet!!! I love using giant streamers. Ever put on a square foam head? It creates a really cool wake and noise for pike / musky fishing.

I typically don't leave the tail too long - so the fish don't take it too short and miss the hook.

RR ~ :)

I haven't used the square foam ... Yet! I've got LARGE saltwater popper heads from rainys that I'll be tying with for the spring. I've also got the "blain chocklette" big game shanks coming in, that way you put the foam on the shank, and the hook dangles in the back so you get the "nippers" :-)

brookiebuster

Those look deadly!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

My comment was in regards to the two flies you posted together, not the black one you just posted. Which is also, very cool.

flybum

The big streamers are just super glue... Regular old super glue. I use gorilla brand. I'm waiting on an order of UV cure epoxy to come in and then I dress the front with that and Finnish it off with some Sally H. Ask Kbrest to send ya a pic of the one he did.

kbrest

This is one of the ones I did at Bryan's. Basically just mirrored what he was doing while I was getting a lesson lol. I cant wait to tie a bunch of these, as well as the black tandem popper ones (posted above), I don't think it will be in 4 minutes time though haha. Thanks again coach.

post-2504-0-02182000-1384441356_thumb.jp

• Like 1

kbrest

Props to Bryan for the lesson. Now that I know how, I can pick up everything I need and tie a bunch. Still need to work on a few things for aesthetic purposes but its my first of that kind.

• Like 1

flybum

With aesthetics comes functionality with some of these big guys. That bucktail profile is muy importanté

flybum

Proportion/ profile . There is a correlation but with bucktail, a little can go a long way. When I was teaching Kbrest, I have a white bucktail that we used for the initial "tail" piece because it was coarser and flared better. And the rest was done with a more flowing bucktail since it was reverse/holo tied, it Keeps a better profile.

I'm still working on the proportions of the buck tail but I am really enjoying these flies. Lots of fun and VERY different from tying small 14 Adams and tiny hares ears. Tons of fun.

post-374-0-11698500-1384708546_thumb.jpg

flybum

if you do a reverse/hollow tie for your final piece of buck tail, the profile will be more shad/herring-esque. nice tie!!

That is a reverse tie actually. The only one that isn't was the first. I believe I built my thread damn up too much. I am going to work on this later tonight and try to get a better shape. Will post results.

I didn't work the thread as far back on this one and it gave me a better profile I think. Practise makes perfect.

post-374-0-09445800-1384735858_thumb.jpg

flybum

Nice tie on that one Brodie! You stopped at the perfect spot for a nice profile. When that one is stripped in the water, it will just come alive!

Those hollow ties in that article are beautiful. Very minimal material right there.

Very cool article, thanks for the suggestion Duck. Thanks Brian. I am already dreaming about the big pike next spring, and some awesome smallie action as well.