• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

flybum

Tying season!!

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I see what it all means now that I see the profile while wet. Would you reccomend cutting down on length of flash?

post-374-0-71969500-1384741814_thumb.jpg

brookiebuster

I usually cut my flash at about 1/8"-1/4" past the tail material. Doesn't really matter though in my opinion. The fish don't care either way.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

flybum

Icelandic sheeps hair with red eyes, red lateral line and red/pearl underflash... I like it , a lot!

post-1898-0-27557600-1387397010_thumb.jp

Lonewolfdan

Is there a fly tying club active in Thunder Bay ?. Where do they meet and how can I join ?

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

No, nowhere, and you can't. Haha. The ideas been tossed around here on the board but nothing has materialized.

flybum

i could attempt to create a club, i would have no issue with that. would be kinda neat! i was part of the fly fishing club in manitoba, was pretty cool. i am still a big supporter of theirs and attend their banquet every year.

kbrest

I have definitely been infected. Obsession has quickly turned to mental illness lol.

• Like 1

Guest mud trout

Finally got the itch to do some tying after reading these post and seeing some of these nice streamer patterns. I keep thinking Pike when i see these. Very nice! I have to do some tying for pike streamers myself, something i have never done seriously before. What overall length would you guys recommend? What hook sizes? I like to use longer streamer hooks instead of something short that leaves a very long tail. I keep thinking I'm getting short takes with the shorter hooks/longer tails. I tie and use streamers more in recent years than ever before. But these are small for brook trout, usually fished on a 4 or 5 wt rod. My streamers are always fur strips, usually rabbit or mink, but a little too delicate for pike flies I believe.

flybum

i run some large rabbit strips once in a while, sometimes LARGE closers as well. shorter hooks are great, less of a chance that the hook will get thrown, if anything, use some beadalon and articulate them( 2 hooks). that will reduce your short strike problem. or use an articulation shank :)

Guest mud trout

Good suggestion especially since i bought some articulated shanks a while ago. The wire gauge is much heavier then that of regular streamer hooks so I need hooks with a larger eye in order for the two to move freely. It's one thing i was suppose to get at DNR yesterday, but came away with a reel, net and some dry fly hooks instead. Oh well, next time....

flybum

Some hooks that DNR doesn't carry, but are (in my opinion) hands down the best hooks for streamers and many other applications in fly tying are Gamakatsu B10s. Currently I'm using Sz 2,1 and 1/0. They go up to Sz 2/0 which are great for pike streamers and down to sz 4, maybe smaller. Check em out!

Guest mud trout

I tied a few flies last night. I used up what i had left of my mustad #4 streamer hooks ( the largest hooks i have). Mustad have always worked fine for me but i prefer a straight eye for the streamer hooks only, DNR doesn't carry those. I used some of the flies you guys posted here for ideas. I didn't get the reverse tie down properly so i reverted back to my usual layering and what not... I will pick up larger hooks since pike can often be in the mood for something really big.

I'll have to tie more streamers for trout yet as well as a few drys and emergers.

flybum

Reverse tie with bucktail can be a bit frustrating. Keep at er' , and if all else fails , ill show ya in person one of these days.

With bucktail it's very difficult to get the desired profile, especially if you've never done it before. With synthetics, it's much easier.

Guest mud trout

I was using buck tail and in hind sight i believe i was using too much at a time. After looking at the one link it seems a sparse amount works much better. I didn't think to try synthetics, maybe next time...

Gone8to1248

I was thinking about putting some of my fly tying materials up on the auction board and was wondering what you would all like to see in there. I have tons of different hairs and fibers (EP,YACK HAIR,ICE FUR,ANGEL HAIR,ICELANDIC SHEEP HAIR, CRAFT FUR and much more. Dumbbell eyes, eyes of all sorts, dubbing fur, flashabou,crystal flash and other stuff. Totes full of stuff. Give me some ideas and I'll see what I can do.

Bernie

Send me PM's

Guest mud trout

Hello Bernie, I second Duck's idea. Depending on what you have I may be interested. Also I'll send a PM.

thanks

Gone8to1248

I read everyone's PM's and messages on here and will separate items into like groups and then take pictures of the different groups and post them before starting to sell them. That way if the grouping isn't what everyone would like to see I can change it around. I'm waiting to hear back from Roger on how the payments will be handled. The opening bids will be set too handle the shipping cost up to Rydens Border Store where the stuff will have to be picked up by you or I can bring it up when I come up in July for you. I will send it USPS FLAT RATE. (what fits in the box goes for one flat rate) More to follow.

Bernie

Gone8to1248

Everything is cleared with Roger and I'll start sorting things out and get some pictures up soon. What about things like a brand new rotary vise that has never been out of the box?

• Like 1

Gone8to1248

1st item is going up on the auction now. A new Rotary Vise.

Gone8to1248

I will be putting stuff up on the auction board all weekend so keep an eye on it. Most sales will only run for about a week.

flybum

Double deceiver ... Who doesn't like double Ds? Honestly , they're great !

post-1898-0-61875900-1389054419_thumb.jp

• Like 1