• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

flybum

Tying season!!

Heisenberg

^ no arguments (barring excessive sag)

I'm looking at the medium/long haired cat and wondering if he would miss a clump of his fur? That looks like nice stuff for some streamers or buggers. I may have a problem...

H.

• Like 1

flybum

This is called a T-bone. Invented by a man named Blane Chocklette. He is also the invento of the big game shanks by FishSkull. This is my first and probably last attempt at this fly :-p (that is unless it works really well)

post-1898-0-20370900-1389241012_thumb.jp

brookiebuster

Looks like an interesting pattern to tie.. Nice work!

• Like 1

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

flybum

"The game changer" in a smelt-esque colour scheme. Here's to spring brookies!

post-1898-0-35635300-1389397030_thumb.jp

brookiebuster

Nice looking pattern!

flybum

Thank you, Sir ! You should see the action on these things when stripped!

Guest mud trout

Very nice Bryan! Now, recipe? Tying instructions? Did you use marker for the dark backs?

flybum

Very nice Bryan! Now, recipe? Tying instructions? Did you use marker for the dark backs?

It's called "the game changer " it's a bit of a task to tie, kind of a labour of love. The colour is a base of silver sharpie then black on top. It has a slight silver lateral line. Body material is body fur by CCT(cascade crest tools)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQDGJHxV28U

Check it out!

Guest mud trout

Watched the video. Looks simple enough but so many steps... Very good idea to use multiply shanks, probably would be just as good with one less shank i imagine. The great thing about patterns like this is that once you get the idea the skies the limit. I'm thinking about trying this with marabou. I've trimmed marabou before on streamers and the trout don't seem to mind one bit. I like small streamers for brookies, usually the best way to catch the bigger ones!

Guest mud trout

I forgot to mention, probably wrap the marabou (Gartside style) and then trim to profile. If i layer it then the profile can be accomplished without trimming.

flybum

The downside to palmering marabou for a body profile is that it's quite weak. You can stack synthetics to achieve the same results. This pattern can't really be duplicated without usin synthetics. If you were to successfully use marabou. It would take a whole package just to achieve 1 fly. The flie shown above is all synthetic material, with lots of durability(glue). You could Catch bass and pike ALL DAY and not have to change the fly. Theres no way to get that durability with a soft hackle streamer. I am interested to see what you come up with tho!

flybum

well done Duck, Those hooks are deadly!!! Love me some owners! and i have a very soft spot for the AKI :)

flybum

i use Gorilla Brand super glue and have never had an issue. I like the fast adhesion of the superglue. my only issue is that there is an INTENSE exothermic reaction when used with white buck tail. gets hot enough to burn you.

Guest mud trout

Duck, this is something of what i had in mind and with the long marabou, one articulation is enough for sure. Very nice!

Bryan, I did mention to tie them for brook trout so the flies would not have to be as durable as they would for Pike. But i agree the synthetics would be best for Pike flies.

In hind sight I,m not sure why i said to trim marabou and have extra articulation. But i have clipped marabou to shape on certain streamers before. It's hard to kill the action of marabou. You can always leave it out back for the tail to move freely and do it's thing, so the body can be shaped as desired. I don't clip as in sharp edges with the scissors, but instead tear a few strands at a time with finger tips. The edges look frayed and blunt instead of flat and sharp. I'll have to tie this now that i've open this can of.... Then something can explain to me how to post pictures on her, yes i am that inept with computers ( actually i use an i pad).

flybum

Lol, it's all good Mud! Depends on what version you're using (mobile or full) but there is the "more reply options" button to click on.

I've done a streamer is all palmered marabou and then finished it off with a rabbit collar. I used a short shank hook and tied over the marabou a way to lay it down and to make it more durable.

flybum

Square foam popper with big game shank In the front and nothing by wiggly and a hook in the rear. I'll call it Campbell's soup, cause it's gunna be Mmmmmm Mmmmm good. :-). <----<<<. Cheesy, I know :-p

post-1898-0-08129900-1390080729_thumb.jp

post-1898-0-33907200-1390080763_thumb.jp

Guest mud trout

Amazing tying skills Duck! I tried some dumb down versions of spey flies a while back.( I tied them small for brook trout). I used TMC 200 R hooks . They have a nice curved shank and a straight eye. I used sclappen on some for the hackle and just some regular strung hackle on others. I don't know how to marry wing quill slips so I just used mallard and or wood duck flank for the wing. They turned out Okay, I never did try them on the brookies.

flybum

I call this one "the chesty leech" I have yet to fish with it, but I imagine it's dy-no-mite!

post-1898-0-60104200-1390709491_thumb.jp

brookiebuster

I've used my dogs hair but this... Might have to try a "beard bugger" one of these days lol.

• Like 1

kbrest

Apparently Bryan and his dad decided that this unpleasant....and awesome image was best showed to me during breakfast. Midway through a pile of bacon...

Lyle Reiner

You fly fisherman are absolutley...hmm different?

whats next

egg sucking pubis?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

flybum

You fly fisherman are absolutley...hmm different?

whats next

egg sucking pubis?

Bahahaha! I would rather stand out than blend in with monotony!!!

No way man! I keep those long pungent beauties for pike flies!

It was actually a drunken suggestion by a friend, so I did it.