• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

flybum

Fly fishing club revival? Or renewal?

flybum

I'm very interested in getting the old one revived or a new one started. Any thoughts, info or insight would be greatly appreciated!

-B

Guest mud trout

I would be interested in getting together. I didn't have much interest in the past. I'm really not a big fan of groups, especially crowds, but i would like to get to know a few fly fishers in the area.

Squaretail

I just saw this post. I was a member of the old club for years and I to am interested in starting up a club again. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

flybum

Squaretail , send me a PM! I'm totally interested! I was part of the MFFA and am still "active" with them. It would be good to pick your brain.

Bryan

Guest spotdot

I had joined the old club just before it shut down to learn more about fly fishing, count me in, would like to meet other fly fishers.

flybum

Alright... I have picked some brains(none from tbay but those are soon to come) and I haven't forgotten about the club. From the interest I can see here, there's a good possibility that we can have a decent head count. Just figured I would post a quick "hey, I haven't forgot" and let you guys know where it's at... Which isn't much further than before. The main difference is now, I have a page with notes on it! :-p cheers guys/gals!

iCORY

I would also be interested assuming this club would be okay with a total beginner. And by beginner I mean, I just bought a fly rod and am waiting to try it out for the first time.

• Like 1

flybum

hey man, theres no way to know if you'll like it if you never try it!!! have you ever cast a fly rod before?

iCORY

One time when I was younger and less patient but I kept whipping my fly off so I gave my fly rod to a friend and forgot about it.

Now ten years later I am still intrigued by it and have decided to give it a really good go this time. The rig I bought is super cheap though so I hope that fly fishing is a bit like drumming/guitar playing where starting off with cheap gear will give me a better appreciation for good gear when I actually learn to use it.

• Like 1

Guest mud trout

you can learn on a super cheap set up, I did. A lot of people do. If you like fly fishing and decide to continue you can up grade. I know some people learn and a decade later are very happy to be fishing with the same old set up. Some of the cheaper outfits have a slower (more take your time) type action which appeals to some and they never have to dish out the big bucks for fast action rods. In any case practise your casting until you're comfortable with the set up and getting out a decent amount of line, 35 to 50 feet is lots for most stream and river fishing. Most trout are caught within 30 to 40 feet and less. Have fun, there is lots to learn. Studying stream and river currents and structure to know where the fish hold and then how to best present the fly will bring you a ton of success, much more than standing in a river whipping out long random cast.

tight lines!

iCORY

I went to the mountdale launch to try it figuring there is lots of space there and it would be empty this time of year, but there was already a couple fisherpeople there so I figured I would go back another time. Last thing I want to do is smack them with a fly or something