• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
joks

Scary video

SherpaJ

He let it suffer? I've shot moose with a single bullet (not 4 or five) did I let it suffer too? How do you know they didn't go back and take care of it? Again, I would have done things differently too, but I know nothing about that guy or his life, neither do you.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

He could have ended the animals life right there. He didn't, so yes it suffered, leaving the scene and coming back later to finish it off is no better. He is still an idiot. Everything he did was wrong.

Eyeguy

Exactly!

"Guns make you brave"....so does sitting behind a keyboard. I think we become too quick to judge sometimes. I don't like what the guy did, but is he really an a**hole or a coward for not knowing how to deal with wildlife? Dealing with wildlife is something so inherent to most of us here that we forget that there are a lot of people who have never even seen a moose! What we consider common sense ins't necessarily true to others.

This is speculation only, but if this person was unfamiliar with moose, I think his reaction would have been giddy with excitement when he first saw it. People get like that. Heck, I still do. His reaction tells me he was very familiar with his surroundings, and as such should have known better than to be aggressive like that.

I do agree that by the time he shot it, he had no other choice. BUT, I believe that him having a gun in his possession is what put him in that position. There's nothing to say that the moose wouldn't have reacted the same way even if he had hung back and just enjoyed the show, and if it had, I would have no problem with the guy protecting himself. But he didn't do that when I think he knew better, and that's the problem I have with it.

SherpaJ

thats very fair and I agree with you.

I didn't mean to single you out, just tried to show a point.

Eyeguy

thats very fair and I agree with you.

I didn't mean to single you out, just tried to show a point.

No problem. That's what makes a healthy conversation.

Gone8to1248

Okay before anyone starts shooting each other up there here is the REAL INFORMATION!!! I just spoke with the head of Wyoming Fish and Game and he said they have been swamped with calls about that video. This actually happened in Colorado according to him and it was investigated as the shooter DID go directly to the CO's and reported it. He also said it was considered a legal shooting and no charges were filed. CASE CLOSED! And he did right by just leaving it as it was until investigated and the meat was then harvested. Amazing what one phone call can do for something like this!

Bernie

Some Old Guy

Alrighty then.

Case closed. I have nothing more to say on it.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Eyeguy

Ah come on. It was way more fun speculating :)

Castnblast

Ah come on. It was way more fun speculating :)

lol

PRO V

It amazes me how people jump on the band wagon with speculation, and name calling when you were not even there and don't know all the facts, it's easy to say what you would do sitting in your easy chair, i can guarantee some of your a$$es would of been chewing holes in your skidoo seats. Thanks for the clarification Bernie.

Mike

• Like 1

Some Old Guy

Dammit now I wish I didn't say I wouldn't say anymore!!!!!

Roger

PRO V

Don't be shy………... let it out

Mike

Buck 120

Lol. Thanks for getting the info Bernie!

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Some Old Guy

Nah, I'm done. Law enforcement said there was no charges laid, therefore who am I to argue the point? I'm just a guy with an opinion is all.

Ummm.... anyone wanna talk about O.J. Simpson? Ha HA!

Roger

Gone8to1248

After watching a 1 minute video there was a lot of speculation on everyone's part and a lot of stuff was said on here. Terms like "A gun made him brave" "He was a coward" "he was an idiot" was said. Because he didn't act or react how you may have thought you would have these terms were used. I think that was speculation on your part because it's easy to second guess something when your not there and living through it. To say he wasn't knowledgeable of where he was at or the animals that were out there,, I can't understand that remark. He did stop when he saw it standing there. He made sounds to try and get it to move off, at which point the moose did look up and didn't see him as a threat. He did move closer probably thinking it would then move off. Now this is my speculation on what happened next. The moose approached him in a NON challenging walk, looks to me like it was more curious than anything. The guy is now standing up and making louder noises at which point the moose saw it as a threat and a challenge and it reacted. It was said by some that he was there only to shoot the moose from the beginning because he had a gun, well I think you had better go watch that video again and pay attention to the shadows on the ground. The gun was never pulled out until after the moose hit him once and then AFTER it turned to come back the second time. Even then he had a split second to fire a warning shot to scare it off which he did. After that he shot to defend himself and drop the moose. In accordance to the laws he left everything as it was and reported it right away and it was investigated. It was treated as a potential crime scene. That's how I saw it and I'm sure we all see things differently.

Sherpa J in his story about the duck hunting and having a moose come charging in said he would have shot when it got 10 feet away from him. It would be easy for someone to call him a coward because you might say you would have waited until it was only 5 feet away before shooting. In my opinion he would have waited to long and have put his life in danger. He was duck hunting with a low load shotgun round which wasn't made to bring down an animal that size. I'll bet he was thinking closer the range the tighter the pattern the more damage. I think he was pretty brave to wait THAT long before he would have squeezed the trigger.

People don't pick up a gun with the intention of going out just to kill something, there used to hunt for sport and to provide food. Law enforcement people and military people carry them to preserve and save lives, which unfortunately at times we have to take a life to do that. Someone on here said that a person would be mentally ill to kill, when actually they at the moment are just mentally unstable. Sane people don't attack other people! I've seen what you would have thought the person who would be by your side disappear and the ones you would think duck for cover standing by your side. You never know what is going to happen until the moment arises.

pastor norm

I totally understand why the snowmobiler pulled his gun. Gosh, if I were

being stomped in the chest by a moose and it was looking to make a

second pass, I'd likely do the same.

Cept I don't carry a hand gun and I think it's unnecessary to do so. That

means I'd have to consider different options -- both before moose showed

aggression (turn the engine off at first sight? make gentle cooing noises

like talking to a child?) and after the aggression (hide behind/climb a tree?).

Finishing the animal off would have been the humane thing to do but not

legally necessary in that situation. It's hard to think about being humane

when you are convinced a big animal wants you stomped.

My only challenge to the decisions in this encounter is why not just wait for the

moose to leave? Why rush it (the second stopping)? Rushing wild ungulates in

the middle of winter is just not a helpful thing to do to them. The

sound of snowmobile engines stresses them. Their energy reserves are low.

They feel vulnerable. Their behavior will be very unpredictable. Give them the

right of way and be patient. Being legal is not the same thing as being wise.

My last two cents

• Like 2