• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SherpaJ

Must-have Fly for Pike Fishermen.

SherpaJ

Thought I'd share this article written by one of the guides I work with about a fly he developed.

http://www.wollastonlakelodge.com/wp-content/themes/wollaston/pdf/articles/Monster-Magic-Article.pdf

It's big and ugly, but its probably the most consistent lure for pike I've ever used. I always have one tied on a rod ready as a throwback bait. Even with the huge profile (~18") its very light. This makes for good hookup ratio without the need for a tube and it can be easily casted all day on an 8 weight rod unlike most big pike flies. I've used smaller versions with great success too, even two strips of rabbit fur (one long black piece atop a smaller red strip) work amazing, but the rabbit fur can become very cumbersome to cast if it's longer than 8 inches.

Video of it in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8ePDPbnX8

• Like 1

flybum

I've tied some similar, hoping the vast winter kill doesn't hurt the pike this spring!

SherpaJ

Winter kill? any lakes with a healthy pike population are not nearly in any danger of a winter kill. We had ice up till the 23rd of june on Wollaston Lake last year, sure doesn't seem to bother them.

flybum

I've read about some lakes in minnesota that are being devastated. I really hope there isn't any here.

Last ice off at wollaston was mid june? or completely iced until mid june?

SherpaJ

The lake was completely iced over up until the 6th(ish) but we couldn't get out of the bay till the 16th, I think, dodging ice everywhere we went. Couldn't fish the entire lake till the 23rd.