• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bunnyfoofoo

I want to fly fish But.....

Guest Bunnyfoofoo

Well with some trout i caught last year I was thinking i am going to get into fly fishing

I am just wondering with all to choose from what would be a good beginers kit to setup, the dreaded walmart rod.......

I mostly fish in small creeks/rivers (if i am looking for trout ) like vikkers and the mac i also like to adventure....

If you know of any good deals or have any gear ( you dont use anymore) that you might want to toss my way let me know would be great and much thanks.

Send me a pm

flybum

If you spend 180-200$ you can have a good little setup. I am a HUGE FAN of Echo fly rods and reels. DNR just for some combos in, I believe they're in the price range states above. Lifetime warranty. I don't suggest going super cheap and dirty for your first setup. The cheaper rods are just tossed together "willie-nillie" and are cheap for a reason. It will make your experience on the water terrible. You would be hard pressed for someone to toss a rod/reel at ya! Lol. Not much out there for used gear either. Good luck man!

Guest mud trout

Cabela's has some good beginner outfits that won't break the bank. I bought my son the Three forks combo and he leart to cast with it quit well. the beginner rods have a slower action than more advanced fly rods but this is good for beginners since the rods are a little more forgiving on casting errors. It would be a good idea to start with a 9' 5wt outfit for trout. this is a good weight and lenght to learn to cast with. If you can find a rod and line for less then an outfit cost (buy a weight forward floating line), I have a good reel you can have.

flybum

you can always go with a fibreglass rod... the Eagle claw Featherweight rod is very inexpensive and a blast to fish with.

Bunnyfoofoo

alot more in depth with fly fishing than open water normal fishing. Lifetime warranty on a rod wow. I think i need to learn to cast first so a rod that would be good for that then i can graduate to a better one. This year will be a learning year for the fly. mud send me a pm

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

Guest Swan_Dive

I started out buying a started rod/combo from basspro and it was a 6 wt. I still have the rod and still use it and actually bought the same combo in an 8wt and they have both served me well. I think the combo is about $150. I used both combos for years and have since upgraded but I got my monies worth.

Swany

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I also got a combo from dnr. Redington. I must admit I did upgrade the reel to a Ross reel which costed me about 125 which I am pretty happy with. The original reel had a pretty brutal drag. So I would not recommend that combo simply because of the reel. The rod I do like, don't have much to compare it to but after a full day my arms not sore, my casts go where I want them to, (for the most part) and I can see improvement so I know it's not holding me back. I wonder if maybe I just got a faulty reel, but either way, I'm happy I upgraded the reel as early as I did.

Bunnyfoofoo

will the number of the rod hold me back or improve me there is a few, my one friend said get a heavy one for big fish number 8 or something like that i really didn't know what to say. SD you have a 6 & 8 you like. i figure different manufactures make them a little different from one number to the next. i will be going to D'n'R tomorrow to see the selection.

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

A rod wt is pretty standard I think. I use a 6 wt and a big steelhead in fast water does push it to its limit but I've managed just fine. I picked my 6 because I felt it was a good start.

brookiebuster

A 6wt will cover pretty much all the fishing around here except when targeting larger fish such as pike/chinooks with large flys/sinktips etc.. I also started out with one of the Redington combos and still use it from time to time. Good rod for starting out.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

AB

You really need to give us a little more detail on where it is you anticipate you are going to fly fish and what you will be fly fishing for. There has to be a certain species and time of the year that has you jonesing for fur and feathers over garden hackle and a bobber.

Small streams and rivers looking for trout is a little vague. Are you looking at specs (6" to 14") or chasing rainbows (6"-28"). Both can be found in small streams and rivers albeit at different times of the year.

If you are just getting into fly fishing, it really helps to put together an outfit that will be forgiving, but capable of getting the fly out to where the fishes are so that you get some success under your belt.

Fly fishing outfits, classified by weights as a starting point describe the line weight and rod combination used to get the fly over the water. Fishing size 14 dry flies for wiggler size specs is a lot different then tossing 2/0 streamers for pike and will require a different set up.

You want to avoid under or over gunning yourself with a rod that will not give you ability to learn to cast the flies to the fish you want to fish for. You'll get frustrated with the whole works and miss out on a great method of angling because it just isn't doing what you thought it would. Set yourself up for some successes with the fish to keep you going, because it will be frustrating at first.

To learn to cast, which is the first fundamental you need to come to terms with, a double tapered, full floating line is a good place to start. It won't be fancy, or cost to much. It will give you the chance to learn to cast properly whether you are on the water or the lawn. Stay away from sink tips, quad tips, full sinking lines until you have established the basics of casting. You can worry about the various line types and tapers later. Those are things you will graduate to when you are ready.

So if you don't mind sharing, what species and where do you want to start?

iceman

Bunnyfoofoo

I am looking at specs (6" to 14") or chasing rainbows (6"-28"). Both can be found in small streams and rivers albeit at different times of the year.

I am looking to learn more @ first how to fly fish but like you said i don't want to set myself up for disaster, Trout is the main target if their is a hungry fish that takes the fly then OK with me but streams and rivers will be my main focus love specs haven't caught much rainbows ( soon to change) But learning is the best step right now i can watch all the you-tube vids in the world but doing it is completely different just want to have fun and maybe put a meal on the table from time to time and pass this wonderful sport on to my boys and girls.

Gone8to1248

Bunny

Your right about watching a video and actually casting being different. Your best bet is to find someone who is a good fly fisherman and pay them a couple of bucks for some fly casting lessons. If you try to teach yourself and pickup bad habits they are hard to break. I would strongly recommend going with a 9 foot 8wt rod for up there. it's the perfect all around rod. Once you get hooked on fly fishing you will want to chase after bass and pike for the real thrill. For fish that run you will want a LARGE ARBOR REEL for faster retrievals. It will also handle small flies or bigger ones. Go with a weight forward tapered line floating because you can always add a sink tip if needed. If you haven't gotten a rod or learned how to cast one by the time I come up there I would be happy to take you out and give you some on the water lessons casting off my boat. I have several rods of different makes and weights you can actually try out to see what weights you like. I have #5wt,#8wt,#9wt with different lines and reels. I normal bring a couple of them with me with my flies. Just let me know what you do.

Bernie

Squaretail

A 6wt is definetly the best rod to learn the art of casting. You want to make sure you don't get a "stick" that ends up teaching you the wrong way to cast right off the hop. TFO and st. Croix are my favorites for there entry level series. Fly fishing doesn't have to be expensive nor should be. So find one that fits your budget and have fun.

Bunnyfoofoo

well i have caught smaller trout 12" and under ,if bigger grabs it then hay i wont complain. A 6 wt will be a good choice to start i think as i have the tendency to fish smaller creeks and streams, then an 8 wt later sounds like a plan.

Guest MachoManFisherMan

I also got a combo from dnr. Redington. I must admit I did upgrade the reel to a Ross reel which costed me about 125 which I am pretty happy with. The original reel had a pretty brutal drag. So I would not recommend that combo simply because of the reel. The rod I do like, don't have much to compare it to but after a full day my arms not sore, my casts go where I want them to, (for the most part) and I can see improvement so I know it's not holding me back. I wonder if maybe I just got a faulty reel, but either way, I'm happy I upgraded the reel as early as I did.

I also just bought that setup (redington) from Dnr. The reel is very hard to use, and the line comes out terribly. Spent 4 hours on the mac learning to use it and am still very frustrated with it.

AB

You really shouldn't expect to much out of the reel from a combo outfit. The bulk of the technology is tilted in the rod's favour. Any graphite body reel is going to do an adequate job as a line storage device, but the drag systems are in general, pretty flimsy.

If you have been spin fishing, have you noticed the difference in performance between a cheap (<$30) spinning reel and one that is more moderately priced ($75 - $125)? You should notice a difference.

Good fly reels are going to be more expensive than a spinning reel. The materials and manufacturing process are much more expensive to put out a quality fly reel.

Keep in mind that down the road a good fly reel is going to retain much of its value. Fly reels don't typically burn out like a spinning reel will and you can usually replace the drag systems.

Keep your eye on the fly!

iceman

Bunnyfoofoo

well i know i need new line mine is like plastic and is not forgiving.......

AB

Well I HOPE it's like plastic because that is what they are made of......

it is supposed to be fairly stiff, and thick, and coated in some form of "plastic....

If the fly line was pre-spooled on the reel when you purchased it, or was sitting in it's original box, it has developed some memory and comes off in a slightly coiled fashion.

This is okay, it happens all the time. Low temperatures will make a fly line a little stiffer to and the coils are a little tought to get through the guides .

To help make the fly line a little more manageable, especially if it hasn't been out fishing for a while its a good idea to straighten it out.

Pull all the line out from the reel until the knot that connects the backing to the fly line is out of the rod tip.

With two hands, start at the backing knot, hold the fly line at least shoulder width apart with both hands and apply a little tension. You don't want to over stretch it and damage the coating, just enough force to remove any of the coiled memory in the line.

Go through the entire fly line like this right up to (and sometimes including) the leader.

Rewind the whole thing back onto your reel. It should come off the reel straighter next time. You should notice a difference when you are shooting line through the guides as you lengthen your casting distance.

iceman

gsambray

This is a good read as i am also looking to get back into fly fishing. I started about ten or more years ago with a walmart combo. And like said above all it did was frustrate me and made me put it down to collect dust. Ive been looking at the eagle claw rods and like the feel of them. Rockwood Baits and Silver Minnow Bait Shop has a decent selection. As for reels i have an old fly reel but will be looking at a new one. Instead of a combo im gonna pick up that eagle claw in a 7wt but there are a few different lengths to choose from. And then look for a reel. Are there any clubs in town for the fly? Or if not I may have to give a shout out to see if anyone has the patients to give a noob a few pointers.

gsambray

This is a good read as i am also looking to get back into fly fishing. I started about ten or more years ago with a walmart combo. And like said above all it did was frustrate me and made me put it down to collect dust. Ive been looking at the eagle claw rods and like the feel of them. Rockwood Baits and Silver Minnow Bait Shop has a decent selection. As for reels i have an old fly reel but will be looking at a new one. Instead of a combo im gonna pick up that eagle claw in a 7wt but there are a few different lengths to choose from. And then look for a reel. Are there any clubs in town for the fly? Or if not I may have to give a shout out to see if anyone has the patients to give a noob a few pointers.

Club in the works. Keep an eye on the thread "Thunder Bay fly angler" in the Spey and fly fishing section. It is in regards to the club.