• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Bobber Down

2014 Smelts Smelts and everything Smelts

Bobber Down

Place to post anything and everything about Smelts. It may be a tad early yet but others need to know. Are they running yet and where? Any special techniques or advice. What size will they be this year?

post-1835-0-63790500-1398340360_thumb.jp

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Zackcorbin1401

Can't wait to get out this year, last year around May 15-25 they were running in the Mckenzie river.

Bobber Down

Here's a spot many are aware of. Soon to be full of eager smelters. Watched the falls a bit today. Didn't notice anything trying to make the jump. Too early most likely.

post-1835-0-44266500-1398370008_thumb.jp

post-1835-0-04493300-1398370058_thumb.jp

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Zackcorbin1401

I still think we got 2 weeks before the smelts start swimming up the rivers.

RLK

Was in Duluth this past weekend and they were advertising a smelt fry on the tv.

Iron Ranger

Our Daughter, Husband and the two Grandkids just went to Smelt fry in the Cities. Five dollars each, all you can eat plus fries. The Lions club put it on. They have done that for years.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Beeman

I just ate my last dozen, I managed to keep a few in the freezer to last until this season. Usually by the overpass to the harbour I have good luck, last year there were a few days with tons of smelters and no smelt but I still would get gallons pretty easy on other days.. But McKenzie was better, the year before I didn't have luck at McKenzie so who knows,, the water needs to warm up a bit still before they will be running here.

Bunnyfoofoo

I will be hunting them this year i have never tried to catch them before.

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

Zackcorbin1401

I have about a dozen left in the fridge that will be gone this week. This is my second year going for smelts

Bobber Down

I've been eating the smelts for 60 years. Now I look like this..............

post-1835-0-80565100-1398720656_thumb.jp

Zackcorbin1401

I am about to eat the last dozen or so now:)):)

shmanks

so what are your guys' favorite recipes for these little buggers? And whats the best way to freeze em i hear its best to do in some water?

Zackcorbin1401

i like to fry them in shore lunch original recipe. I freeze them in water, whole then i gut them when i eat them. i probably should gut them before but I'm lazy.

Bunnyfoofoo

i like to fry them in shore lunch original recipe. I freeze them in water, whole then i gut them when i eat them. i probably should gut them before but I'm lazy.

i like an honest person lol made me laugh because that is what i would do because I'm lazy lol

but will gut them, is their a limit the mnr says nothing about them that i can find

i like this video is it like this

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o9jC_1dXvQ

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

ghart

No limits on smelt here - Back east they were almost fished to extinction in some rivers, now there's a limit of 30 per person, coupled with no fishing from Thursday to Sunday night - the rivers now are choked with them - 30 fish is one scoop when dumping back 60-100.

Its rare to get them during the day - I know a small creek which I've gotten them in during the day after rainbow fishing. But typically night time.

Go out around dusk to 1 hour after , people will start showing up at known smelt locations usually just after dusk.

http://www.thunderbayfishing.com/fish/rainbow-smelt/

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

Zackcorbin1401

i usually head out around 11pm when i do go never have seen them in the day though

pbear

I saw them once in the daytime at mcvicars. No steelhead that morning but there were clouds of grey smelts in the eddies. A guy caught them in his wooden trout net. Sure some fell through the larger holes but it was still neat to see.

Zackcorbin1401

I'm going to make it my goal to catch them during the day.

sinker7

Saw them once years ago during the day at Current River. It was during the height of the run for everything. One eddy was holding a school of smelt, a couple walleye, a steelhead and even a spec. We managed to get a dozen or so smelts to bite a small piece of worm along with a walleye and the spec but we had to leave the steelhead for the pros to catch.

• Like 1

Snotrocket

They started in Blind River should be soon :)

Zackcorbin1401

where is the blind river?

eddylives

So who has caught more than smelts in their dip nets?

I have caught a rainbow.....almost lost the net lmao , was not expecting a 5 lb fish to run with the net.

Also a few different little fish and lamprey.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

ghart

Atlantic salmon - absolutely destroyed the smelting net (Back East)

Rainbows, brook trout up here

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

McGinnis_Fishing

No limits on smelt here - Back east they were almost fished to extinction in some rivers, now there's a limit of 30 per person, coupled with no fishing from Thursday to Sunday night - the rivers now are choked with them - 30 fish is one scoop when dumping back 60-100.

Its rare to get them during the day - I know a small creek which I've gotten them in during the day after rainbow fishing. But typically night time.

Go out around dusk to 1 hour after , people will start showing up at known smelt locations usually just after dusk.

http://www.thunderbayfishing.com/fish/rainbow-smelt/

I think i know what creek you are talking about. I was there last year and one scoop filled a 5 gallon pale in the middle of the day. It was amazing! It takes away from the fun of catch them though cuz you get all a person could want in one scoop. What im doing this year is going mckenzie with my biddys to have fun then go amd get my smelts later on.