• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
clu__82

Non-Resident, Black Bear Hunting in WMU 13

clu__82

Hello,

I recently asked a question in this forum re: Non-Resident Hunting Moose in WMU 13 and since learning about the reduction in tags etc in this area, I am potentially thinking of shifting gears for this upcoming hunting season. My family is coming to Thunder Bay in October over Thanksgiving week/weekend, I again am seeking some direction in the pursuit of having my Father and my Brother-In-Laws from British Columbia hunting with me in WMU 13 for Black Bear.

In reviewing the Bear hunting information re: Non-Residents, it appears that the regulations are slightly different then the Moose regulations. The information for hunting Black Bear reads:

Requirement for a Licence Validation Certificate

A non-resident who wishes to hunt a black bear in Ontario must have a Non-Resident Black Bear Hunting Licence Validation Certificate (white copy) to validate their non-resident black bear hunting licence.

This certificate can be obtained from a bear operator (operator of a tourist establishment, guide or air carrier) licensed in Ontario to provide black bear hunting services to non-residents.

The following non-residents are not required to use a licensed bear operator:

-A non-resident hunting with an immediate relative who is an Ontario resident licensed to hunt a black bear in a Wildlife Management Unit that has an open season for non-residents. An immediate relative is a person’s grandparent, parent, spouse, child, sibling or grandchild

*It goes on to provide further information that would not apply to my situation*

- Taken from Pg 77: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@fw/documents/document/239850.pdf

As I read things, my Father would once again fall under the immediate relative definition (so that is good) but once again my Brother-in-law would not. However, it appears that the biggest difference in regards to Bear hunting VS Moose hunting is that I would be able to purchase a guide license and my Brother-in-law would be able to hunt under me, allowing him to hunt with my dad and I. In my reading, it appears that nowhere in the regulations does it state that a Non-Resident Black Bear hunter must hunt through a tourist operator like Moose hunting. Is this correct? Please see below:

This certificate can be obtained from a bear operator (operator of a tourist establishment, guide or air carrier) licensed in Ontario to provide black bear hunting services to non-residents.

- Taken from Pg 77: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@fw/documents/document/239850.pdf

If this is correct, what is the process of obtaining a guide license? I believe I can just purchase the license at the government building on James st., is this correct. If so, would this allow my Brother-in-law to hunt with me (under the guide definition) and my dad to hunt with me (under the immediate relative definition) when they are here?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this entry. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely.

Clu