• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hookset

Pike Flies

hookset

I've attempted to tie them before with out much luck. This time around I went to youtube and google and found a few patterns I liked. I orderd up what materials I would need, and when they arrived I got to work. I'm still on a learning curve with this slinky fiber and tying big flies in general. After five attempts I think I'm on my way of somewhat getting it. I have work to do on my proportions, and spacing.

post-1600-0-22871800-1398908109_thumb.jp

post-1600-0-63970000-1398908259_thumb.jp

hookset

All five side by side

post-1600-0-20780200-1398908331_thumb.jp

flybum

Nice job man. Depending on what fibre it is, they can be a bugger to cast(they foul often) they look great tho, i would eat em!

Squaretail

Nice job. That's a fly that you could catch every species on. Especially a brook trout.

fisherdude

Just remember, your tying a pike fly it doesn't have to be perfect. They look good though, they'll work. Let us know.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

You'll do just fine for pike. Flies look good. They will fish, that's for sure.

brookiebuster

A lot better than my pike flies aha. Great stuff.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

flybum

in regards to the above comment about what they have to look like... I'm a firm believer in that you NEED to have confidence in your flies. i can honestly say i have at least a dozen BIG flies, with expensive materials that i will probably NEVER use. if you don't like it, don't settle with it. Confidence is KEY!

Once again, nice ties.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I also find it helps me when I have confidence in my flies. I have a ton of flies I will never fish and I will most likely strip the hooks and reuse if I need to. I tie flies for a few reasons. It cuts cost to tie your own. I could hardly imagine paying for 100 glo bugs at a shop. When I can tie that many for 15 bucks. Also, I like catching fish on something I create. It's an awesome feeling. Third, I find fly tying to be an art, and I find myself tying for my eye more so than the fish sometimes. I will scrap a whole fly if I mess something up at the end. I got time, I'm in no rush. I like looking at pretty flies. Needless to say, all the flies posted here so far in these threads have been awesome. I'd be proud to fish any of them.

flybum

1 for the Lake Superior northerns who like to chase smelt. And one for any other big girl who likes to eat the clown.

post-1898-0-85300900-1399572710_thumb.jp

post-1898-0-33822600-1399572732_thumb.jp

Guest mud trout

Very nice Brian! When we going pike fishing? I don't even know if ice is out on any of the lakes yet. I know I want to chase Brookies on a creek really soon, but it's even early for that yet this year.

hookset

I tie for the same reason as you freshwater as I'm sure most of us do. I'm a bigger critic on my flies than the fish are. Digging those flies Brian. I just got some black and I was going to tie some black and grey. I don't think I could ever tie a grizzely hackle into a pike fly. I'm to cheap. What matterial went into them.

flybum

All bucktail. The Smelt has some material called "funky fibre" for the iridescent back. The clown is all bucktail with some hackles. All reverse tied as well.

flybum

All bucktail. The Smelt has some material called "funky fibre" for the iridescent back. The clown is all bucktail with some hackles. All reverse tied as well.