• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mud trout

Tippet Size

Guest mud trout

I've tied a bunch of flys for Pike this past winter and will be swinging these with my 8 wt as well as my 7 wt Switch rod. I have never had need to fish larger than a size 6 streamer before and always got away with 8lb tippet or less. What are you guys using for a tippet size with big bulky streamer?

Guest mud trout

Thanks Duck, i purchased some 13 lb Maxima green this year, i was wondering if this was a bit heavy. I always try to use the smallest i can get away with for trout, but with big flies for Pike i think I'll have to take different attitude.

Have you ever tried braided line for bite tippet since? I know it's hard to cut so maybe it will resist Pike teeth? I'm not sure if it would work well to turn over the big flies since it is such small diameter.

SherpaJ

Don't bother using braid tippet unless you're fine with losing your flies (and fish). #20 - #35 tie-able steel wire is the best bet. Cortland is my favourite stuff.

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Cortland-Toothy-Critter-Tie-Able-Stainless-Steel-Leader-Material

I too use a loop knot to tie to the fly.

Guest mud trout

I'll have to get some wire bite tippet...

Any idea if Bill stocks this at River's Edge?