• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest 2112

Beginner Fly Patterns

Guest 2112

So I hiked into my first stocked lake for specs and ended up having a blast hitting them on a slip bobber, but it got me thinking Id like to get out there with my fly pole. I have had it for years, am not good at all so it would be a good chance to practice. I also used to tie my own flies for fun while working at a call centre and was ok at it. What I am getting at is Id like to tie a fly that is easy-moderate in building and easy to fish with. Thanks for any advice

brookiebuster

Woolly buggers and zonker (rabbit strip) flys are defiantly really easy to tie and deadly on brookies.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Squaretail

A basic muddler pattern tied with a deer hair wing with peacock hearl and a wool head very easy tie. Very effective. It also doesn't matter how the deer spun head looks if having trouble spinning deer hair. The uglier the better for the fish.

flybum

i have had very good luck with a Sz 8 XL hook, 1.5' strip of black zonker and an orange estaz head. takes about 1 minute to tie and hammers the specs. wrap the shank in lead if you want a bit of a sink.

Squaretail

When we were kids starting out we used to tie a fly called the "bailey". One of the most effective. The fly was tied with dog hair "baileys hair" and tied to a size 6 hook. Many 5lb plus brookies on the this fly. Let's just say the dog brush was always clean.

• Like 1

Guest 2112

awesome. thanks so much for the advice. Ill be out this weekend giving it a try. successfully made the wooly bugger!

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

If you made the wooly bugger then you already know the wooly worm, two for one deal, just shorten the tail a whole bunch.