• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Bimini twist

I've been working on this knot all day, finally got it, or at least damn close (I think) I am having trouble getting the wraps started right away, I can keep them tight once I'm going but at first it's tough, any tips? Or does the knot look good so far, I used probably around 40 wraps, I noticed the more there is the more difficult, how do you guys tie it?

post-374-0-51004100-1401645228_thumb.jpg

Well I am definitely getting better at it, I've now done some with as many twists as 150, good number for me seems to be around 60-80. I can tie it pretty quick now, and have a whole bunch pre-tied. I understand the know retains 100% of its strength, but wouldn't that all be defeated by using another knot below it that doesn't retain 100% (only as strong as the weakest link). Appreciate all input, thanks!

Thanks for the tips, I've been avoiding this knot, figured might as well just learn it. Lots of information to consider. I like tying it, took me a while to get it. That's for sure.

Not sure how I was finishing it before, but it's much better now I think. This is the latest one and I think I can see improvement.

post-374-0-22469600-1401660995_thumb.jpg

I've now managed to get rid of the bump in the final knot, I wasn't putting the tag end between the two lines at the end, much better now. Smooth streamlined knot.

Castnblast

Bimini twist is a cool knot.

The Duck knows how to tie it better than anyone else I know

Castnblast

mike you should post a youtube video on the Bimini and show these guys how you do it. It' is impressive.

I have heard Mike is a knot smith. Through the grape vine of fellow fishermen. Haha.

toma-hawk

What would you use this knot for. Just curious.???

Rick T.

• Like 1

I haven't used it yet fishing, was just working on knots so when I do, I'm not learning it on the water. Basically anytime you want a loop that retains 100% line strength.

flybum

What would you use this knot for. Just curious.???

Rick T.

I use this knot for attaching my fly line to my backing. It's a loop to loop connection as long as you have a welded loop on the fly line. It's a 100%er and I NEVER worry about the connection. It's also very simple to change your fly line if needed.

Otherwise it's more commonly used in salt water when putting together shock tippets etc.

toma-hawk

Thank you both for the explanation.I will have to investigate this knot and try to tie it.

Rick T