• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hookset

Dry Flies

hookset

I've always fished nymphs and streamers. I never got into dry flies or how to fish them. I always fished faster water and any dry I would use would get pulled under. I'm looking for a couple good patterns that work well around here and can take a little faster flow. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I use elk hair caddis the most. Mending becomes very important as you typically need zero drag. I also have success with Adams, Mosquitos, royal coachman, I actually haven't tried a dry that hasn't caught a couple specks in our area. I prefer sizes 14 for the EHC.

hookset

When I adjust to try and eliminate drag, I always pull the fly under. I think I need to shorten up my run and my approach to the slow side of the rapid I'm trying to fish. I've tried from the side, from the back and from the top. The only dry I like to fish is the humpy, and if it does go under, I find the brookies like to nail it if I slowly bring it to the surface like a emerger. Sort of a duel action fly. Thanks for the advise, I'll have to whip a few EHC up and just be patient and adjust my approach. Do you use any dry fly floatant.

Lineguy

Hookset don't do it. Don't get lured in to the dry fly. Your life will change forever...You'll never be the same man...you'll never leave the rivers edge....It's not the dry fly so to say, it's the sudden eruption of the waters clam and the rod bending with a tight line that gets you...once it happens your Hooked.

Tight Lines,

Scotty

• Like 1

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

A.F. & A.M.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

The "S" cast is a good one, works well if fishing a dry directly up or down stream as well, which in some cases may be your best option.

Guest mud trout

The EHC is a great fly, you can fish it well in slow or fast water, maybe tie some with heavier hackle for the faster water.

The Wullf series was designed by Lee Wulff specifically for fast water. Royal Wullfs are great for brookies fished in slack or fast water it doesn't matter.

Some of the best dry fly action to be had is on " damp" flies along the edges of and down through the middle of quiet pools. Try parachute patterns, emergers or caddis patterns tied without hackle for this. Ants and beetles are very good in slack water as well.

I would suggest putting a little more distance between your fly line and fly when fishing drys, unless of coarse you already fish with a long leader.

brookiebuster

I usually only use dries in lakes or slow pools/ponds. Mostly use elk hair caddis' or orange stimulators. Love fishing dries when the water is dead calm and brookies are rising. Biggest rush next to sight fishing with streamers.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Heisenberg

Two thumbs up for the EHC and parachute patterns. I've also had good luck with various terrestrial patterns such as hoppers, but mostly later in the season. And yes on the floatant also. I use a gel on the fly and the tippet as well. If your leader/tippet gets pulled under your fly will follow.

H.