• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heisenberg

Do I need (want?) a glass rod?

Heisenberg

Went fishing for stocked specks with my boys on the weekend and did quite well. Then somehow my brand new St. Croix 5wt (overkill, I know) lost its tip between the canoe and the truck :wacko:

Looks like I'm in the market for a replacement. I've been wondering about glass rods. Most carbon rods I've tried (Redington & St. Croix) seem to be faster action than I would like. The other feature is the LOW cost of some of the offerings. It would make sense when fly fishing with a 9 and 12 year old. In particular I'm thinking of an Eagle Claw Featherweight. Or three, for the price!

Thoughts?

H.

flybum

YES you need and want one!

once you go glass, its tough to go back!

its makes you slow right down. its great for kids and adults!

i love glass rods.

brookiebuster

Thinking of picking up a blue halo rod. They look absolutely deadly rods. Possibly order one this week.... And beautiful rod flybum!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

flybum

Thinking of picking up a blue halo rod. They look absolutely deadly rods. Possibly order one this week.... And beautiful rod flybum!

Thank you sir.

That's actually a blue halo 1st gen blank. Great blanks!

Heisenberg

That is a beautiful rod!

Not sure the Blue Halo price tag is something I'll take canoeing with the kids, lol.
Lesson learned.

H.

flybum

I've wrangled quite a few brookies on my featherweight.

The ONLY downside to the featherweight is that some of them have aren't really spined correctly... They're a different style of glass. They're also 2 PC. But for 30$, I shouldn't complain!!! Blue halos are probably te best bang for your buck if you want those colours. Otherwise I personally would chose te new echo Glass rods that are priced at 199.99$.

Heisenberg

I've got an 8' 5/6WT coming for $40 to the door via Fleabay. I'll post my impressions.

H.

• Like 1