• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
brookiebuster

Macintyre/Current river fishing

brookiebuster

There was a great thread last summer on fly fishing the Macintyre and current river. Thought Id start a new thread here to post info. Ill start off with catching some brookies in the mac a few weeks ago. Drifting a size 8 stonefly nymph, biggest brookie was just a shy over 12". Was fishing by the golf course. I will be hitting the mac and current lots with the fly rod this summer.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I can add some CR reports. Waters been high, I haven't been able to wade to the island yet. However, I seen a doe and a fawn chilling over on the island. I've only been able to fish the mouths and haven't been able to venture inward. I've got one pike, and got it on video. I was using an articulated double bunny with red head an white body. Maybe 28 inches. I haven't even got so much as a sniff from bass, perch, rainbow, or walleye, I've tried nymphs, dries, streamers, no luck. I feel as the water level evens out you will see more fish. I know I can get more but I simply can't get to them without risking a good soaking, hopefully in a week things will even out and we can get back to normal levels.

hookset

I've been waiting to fish the current. Water levels are to high. To hard to fish the fly. If I were to "cheat" and take out the spin cast with a lucky stripe silver. Well then, I'd be all over that.

I've been fishing it on the fly. It isn't ideal, but that has a lot to do with lake levels rather than river levels, I've got fish. I've now got 1 pike 2 walleye and a wack of little bows. I would prefer if the river dropped about 2 inches, but no more then that, I find when the levels are really low you can find an early season stock of fish but it fizzes out midsummer, with slightly higher water I find more fish moving in and out. A steady supply of decent fish. I keep going to check daily and fish but I'm waiting for the dam to cut back on flow. I just hope they don't drain the river too low because that has more of an impact on my success then high water does. Now is the time to get the pike on the fly, they can move further up the mouth and are taking advantage of the extra water.

hookset

The current is the first river I ever fished, spinner and fly. I've always fished futher up. For me the water need to come down at least a foot. Not only to make it more fly friendly, but also so I can cross and fish mid stream. Even mid summer there are places that are to fast to fish and cross. I'm not to impressed with this rain. I'm just getting back into fly fishing and have been waiting all winter, a long, lonnng winter at that, to fish the Current. I want it to be ideal for the first trip.

brookiebuster

Going to hit the mac at some point tomorrow. Ill post results.

Went to CR tonight. Got 3 pike. One about 10 lbs. Got it on a popper using the fly rod. Was a crazy fight. Jumps, runs, you name it. Got it on video as well. Second one was about 6 lbs so didn't bother filming. 3rd one was also about 10 lbs but when I was trying to walk closer to shore to turn my camera on it snapped the line. Price of trying to get the fish on film I guess. I need a camera man. The one man show complicates things. Tried other stuff but they would only hit on surface flies. What a good hour of fishing.

brookiebuster

Nice!

Here's the pike and a shot of it running half out of the water.

post-374-0-91816500-1403489480_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-26531000-1403489508_thumb.jpg

brookiebuster

Deadly shots!!

brookiebuster

Went to the mouth of the current river instead. Tossed a big pike fly out there and lost a decent sized pike. Had it on for 10 seconds then it bit through my leader. There was also a pretty decent caddis hatch going on.

tronnyd88

I hope to get the fly rod out on the cr on friday. I was at the mouth lastnight but didnt bring the fly rod. caught a nice pickeral tho(about 5 pounds released after a quick picture) was a nice surprise. how is the brook trout fishing up river in the trowbridge area?

brookiebuster

Was further up onion lake road last week and got a few little guys. Also some good spots up 527.

Ask kbrest, he's spent some time hiking the upper stretches, me I've only been focusing on the mouth so far this season.

hookset

How was the water levels further up the Current. I was thinking of going on monday.

brookiebuster

Levels weren't too bad. They are fishable.

Water levels at the mouth are about 4 inches above yesterday. No action tonight. Lake was like glass.