• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
eddylives

Does anyone here have a 2012 25hp merc?

eddylives

My father purchased a new merc 25 from smiths but the warranty is over now.

He has noticed there is a strange wheezing air type noise at idle this season and its really noticeable when shutting it down.

Now smiths claims this is normal while others feel it is not normal......other dealers claim it is not normal (a small motor guy heard it and asked whats up lol?)

He has attempted video and sound recordings of this issue but I have not seen them yet. (should have them in a few days)

He would like to hear the same motor running even if he has to drive out to someones camp to do it lol.....he does not want to bring it in for servicing if this is normal for this motor... (it is an ordeal to get the motor from its location to town lmao)

It is a 2012 mercury seapro 25HP 2 stroke

Thanks for any input

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Adrian

I have a 2006 25 with a similar noise. I have worked at marinas as a mechanic for some years in the past, and have never heard the noise before. I thought it may be a bearing starting to seize, and I spent a lot of time trying to trace the noise, but no luck. My motor started to make the noise when it was about 2 years old, and still does it. It still runs perfectly, so I am not worrying abut it right now. I have put a few hundred hours on it since it started to make the noise. I would love to hear what others say about this. One funny thing about this, is that the 2006 motor and the 2012 motor are different.

Guest fishinbuddy

I have the exact same motor and use it all the time. I had it converted to a thirty horse at the dealer when I bought it.I have not had any issues with it and no wheezing noise.

Sean

Squaretail

Without hearing can't say for sure but those motors do have a whine to them most recognized at idle. Have heard a lot of them and they all do it.

eddylives

Thanks for the input

I see the thoughts on it range from normal to somethings wrong lol.

It looks like he is going to bring it in a few weeks and have it looked at

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it