• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MDR

Bear pointers

MDR

Hi all.

Last year I was fortunate enough to tag out on my first deer. So this year I am considering hunting hard for a bear and was wondering if anyone could share their own recipes for success. The nice people at DNR pointed me up 527 for a spot and stalk last year but I wasn't able to make it happen, good grouse hunting though so that was a plus. I have a bit more time this year before classes start so I plan on doing some footwork to find some tracks and then put out a barrel or 5 gallon pails with some sort of bait Any pointers when it comes to what to use? I was thinking a of popcorn with some dog food/syrup mixed in. This will likely be in the Dog Lake area.

Cheers

walleyewarrior

I've heard of guys keeping the grease from their deep fryers and rubbing it on trees around their bait. Apparently the stink brings them in.

milspec

We got a boar in the spring with fish guts and strawberry jam.. so I'm sure almost any combination of food will attract a bear. I spoke with a co-worker that runs a bear outfitter and he said one thing they do is hang food up higher so the bears have to reach for it.. easier to tell from a tree stand or blind how big it is while it stand up reaching for the bait, plus it opens up the vital area. So that could be one thing to keep in consideration (mostly for bow hunting if that's your fancy)

Some people dump the grease so the bears walk on it.. when the bears leave they bring the grease with them through the bush and other bears will pick up on the scent and home in on the bait station. If I decide to go for another bear later this month, I'll probably set up a ground blind and hang a bag of fish guts up about 9-10ft on a tree branch, sit back and wait.

Good luck sir.

Guest 2112

i tried for my first bear this spring. just like milspec i used up all my smelt guts and had em coming in and no time. After that i used oatmeal and jello mix and they always came in and and ate it all up. Anywhere up armstrong highway lots of bears running around. To try my spot i set up a 5 gallon pail and hung it nice and high in the tree. Knocked down and bear crap everywhere in no time!

Guest 2112

also get some grease and dump it all over the places. Put it on trees and branches and you will come to find your bait torn to pieces. super cool

Guest 2112

milspec, you said you were going to try a ground blind? i built a ground blind at my bait in the spring out of a blow down pile but i got to admit i was a little nervous that when i shot the bear he'd come right at me in my blind. One day i came in to sit and the bear was in my blind at some point and removed my chair and dragged my rope all over the place so it didnt take long for him to know something was up. Should i be worried about this? I was thinking of going out and building a little tree stand just for that reason.

milspec

Sounds like we both have about the same experience level. It's your discretion whether or not you want to hunt on the ground or in a tree. It's nothing for them to climb the tree your in too. That's just my 2 cents. Just never go check out your bait unarmed. This photo was taken this evening, about 20 minutes before I showed up to check the card.

10313956_1461051897480418_35750612157817

milspec

Would it even be necessary over bait?

Guest 2112

i dont know if people do it over a bait or not. i wouldnt think so but maybe it would bring them in a little faster while your sitting out there. I heard they just come running in full blast looking for the call

Guest 2112

oh and sugar burns! i started by burning a mixture or koolaid, jello, marshmallows, and water and burnt the hell out of it. Huge clouds of smoke and you could smell it all over the place. I tried burning all sorts of things in the spring to see how well the smell carried and hung around. I burnt fish sauce the one day and the forest wreaked the whole time i was out there like nasty anchovies. in my first spring i learned use your imagination and start saving every single food scrap you produce.

milspec

Well let us know how that works out. Good luck. 12 more days!

MDR

I think I am going to give the grease a try on the ground as well as a fish gut bag for an initial attractant. If no luck there I'll try popcorn and some sort of sweet.

I've heard of using a predator call and have seen some videos that seem to support it. When I have asked on other forums, answers are hit and miss. I guess I'll just have to try it and see...and hope one doesn't sneak up on me.

Cheers

gsambray

Get a coffee can and stuff the bottom with a pound of bacon then fill up the rest with marshmellows. Sit it on a small camp stove and let her burn. The smell is sickly sweet and it brings in bears. Ive used this when setting up a new bait station or when signs of bears are scarce. Always worked for me. Try to chain up your stove if u want to keep it though. Ive had to spend more time findind my stove than the bear i shot

gsambray

Never tried a call but one night checking my barrel i left my gf little yappy dog in the truck. The little bugger was yippin and yappin the whole time i was gone. When i rwturned there was a bear standing on the roof of my truck. So id say it works

Thefishleclair

Burlap sac of mest scraps. I got dome beaver from past season souping up in buckets for the bear hunt. Cant wait to try the SKS.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

gsambray

I didnt know beaver was allowed for bait

Thefishleclair

I am a trapper. So i have a suply if braver meat that needs to go.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

levi64

Just put a bucket of KFC inside a cooler and sit it out anywhere, good to go.

• Like 1

Thefishleclair

Lol

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

milspec

How's your hunt going there OP?

Guest 2112

i went out to my spring bait last night, man is there ever a big boy whos just taken that over. I dont know if he's smart enough to know to wait or if he is just constantly stopping by to check. The tree I soaked in grease is now nearly completely excavated out of the ground with fresh digging visible. fresh bear crap everywhere chalked full of pin cherries. I dont know still might be a little warm to shoot him though. Sure wish i had a trail cam!

MDR

I don't have much time until late August to get out and bout but will let you all know if I see anything promising.

Cheers

Guest Derrick T

Search bear crack on YouTube. Gets stuck to their paws and the burnt sugar smell goes for quite a ways.