• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NWO

*HELP* 2005 Yamaha 4-stroke 60hp Tiller- won't start due to tiller handle "neutral position"

NWO
Re: 2005 Yamaha 4-stroke 60hp Tiller

Ok....let me see if I can explain this.....

From time to time, if I had my tiller in neutral and went to start it......*occasionally*, I'd get nothing. But just a tiny giggle the shifter handle (with key turned right over to start position) and *VROOM*, starts up right away. So, something is loose or possible wearing out.

So today, I went to test start it in the back yard and NOTHING. No amount of giggling will get it to turn over, although it did try to engage for a millisecond.

Anyone know if there is a contact part in the handle that can wear out? I'm guessing whatever safety feature that let's the motor know it's in neutral is no longer working.

Any direction to a part and/or fix would be appreciated!

Thanks Gang

Tom

NWO

I'm guessing it's the neutral starting safety switch. Now I just gotta find out where it is and why it ain't working. If can't be fixed, gotta get a new part I suppose.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

go to dealer , order a neutral saftey switch.
yours failed...finallly.
it wont be in handle (i will be shocked if it is), should be on starboard side of block. it will be attached to one the parts that moves when shifting into gear on a rod or a cable . 2 wires on it one or both wires should be brown. should be like a 10-15 min job to change.

do not bypass neutral switch!!, bad things can happen.

i am somewhat confident you can perform this repair without the wha wha happen

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

NWO

go to dealer , order a neutral saftey switch.

yours failed...finallly.

it wont be in handle (i will be shocked if it is), should be on starboard side of block. it will be attached to one the parts that moves when shifting into gear on a rod or a cable . 2 wires on it one or both wires should be brown. should be like a 10-15 min job to change.

do not bypass neutral switch!!, bad things can happen.

i am somewhat confident you can perform this repair without the wha wha happen

I'll stick my head in the motor (again) tonight and see what I can see. I read online that in 2004 they moved the switch from the area you described to the handle.

Regardless, I'll poke around and see if I can ID it. I may even post a pic here.

Thanks bro-bro.

Brad Rissanen

The neutral safety switch went in my 2004 F75 tiller. It's location, low on the left side at the front of the motor, made it difficult to change, but with a lot of patience and swearing I was able to do it. I did run the motor with the switch jumped out until I could get the part and get it replaced, but as Stud said it is dangerous if you forget to put the motor in neutral before you shut it down.

NWO

So here's a pic I snapped over the lunch hour.

I see the brown lead wire there with a cream coloured one........and I followed them up to a big taped up bundle of wires. Couldn't see what was at the end of the rainbow though.

This is it then? Whatever is at the end of the brown/cream coloured wires?

20140825_113839_resized_zps1c4afe1b.jpg

I checked some online catelogs with exploded views......Brad......does #16 ring a bell? (STAY, NEUTRAL SWITCH)

ELECTRICAL_3.png

NWO

That's what mine looked like.

Last night I followed the wires that I thought were correct.......and didn't find that on the other end.

So, from that brown wire........do I head up toward the Head of the motor or go back towards the handle to find the worn out part?

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

one of those wires goes to starter relay (i guess brown), starter realy is easy to find, big red and black wires from starter connect to relay

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Brad Rissanen

To find mine I had the motor cover off and shifted the motor from neutral to forward and looked for the linkages that move inside the motor compartment. Once I found the moving linkages, I looked for a small switch (like your picture) that would be depressed when the linkages move. On my motor it was on the front of the motor down low and a little left of center looking at it from the tiller handle. To confirm it's the problem when you find the switch, undo the two quick connects on the wires from the switch and stick the two on the engine together. You should be able to turn the motor over after doing this.

NWO

Our long National nightmare is over.

Got it done. GIT 'ER DONE.

5 out of 10 on the pain in the rear end scale. About 45 minutes as Brad said.

Thanks for all the guidance men! And you too Ms. Ryan!