• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Derrick T

Need a deer rifle

Guest Derrick T

So my old lady finally got her pal. And she doesn't like shooting my 30-06, too much kick for her liking. Looking for a 270 or 30-30 something light she can get used to hitting a target with.

SherpaJ

If the 30-06 is too much for her, the 270 will likely be too. I'd say a 308 is your best bet.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

7mm-08
or .308
all same case but the smaller bores will have less recoil.

some ppl actually cosnider the .308 to have recoil, 7-08 should have next to nothing and .243 even less. all will kill stuff.

honestly the best to start with is a 22. to get proper non flinching gun practice

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

pbear

.308 semi would work...pm me if you're interested. But with a new shooter a bolt/lever/pump might be a better choice. The exhaust gases lessen the recoil but make it louder for the shooter in my opinion.

Jayfishin

Rifle weight will also make a difference. My Tikka 270 T3 kicks more than my 30-06 Tikka Whitetail. Muzzle break helps. Start as small cal as legal for game then work her up till she finds the perfect match that is comfortable.

Jay

AB

Rifle weight will also make a difference. My Tikka 270 T3 kicks more than my 30-06 Tikka Whitetail. Muzzle break helps. Start as small cal as legal for game then work her up till she finds the perfect match that is comfortable.

Good Advice!

Get her in a good gun shop, with someone who knows how to properly fit a rifle.

With the correct length and weight, she might find she's comfortable shooting a larger caliber than you think. AND make sure she's dressed for the occasion with what she is likely going to be wearing out hunting - makes a difference.

My wife is not all of the 5'-2" she insists she is. Her shotgun and rifle have both been adapted to her frame. No complaints since.

iceman

levi64

7mm-08

or .308

all same case but the smaller bores will have less recoil.

some ppl actually cosnider the .308 to have recoil, 7-08 should have next to nothing and .243 even less. all will kill stuff.

honestly the best to start with is a 22. to get proper non flinching gun practice

X 2 on starting with the 22 for practice.

Guest Derrick T

Yeah I've had her out shooting the 22. She does well keeping it grouped . Just looking for something used that's light enough for her and won't kick too much when she finds a deer. 22 is fun to practice on but it won't put deer meat in the freeze lol

levi64

I'd get her into a 243 Win. About the lightest recoil your going to get on a deer rifle.

levi64

I think Arnones sells consignments, Never know what they may have.

oneshot

You can get a brand new .243 Savage for around $400 plus tax, Maybe $600 when the smoke clears. A very nice shooting gun.

Gone8to1248

I have many guns and the one I like to use most back when I hunted was my Remington Model 700ADL in the .243 caliber mounted with a Weaver 4X scope on see through raised mounting rings. The rings allow you to look under the scope and use my iron sites when working up close. This gun has very little kick to it. I have even taken bears up in Canada with this gun. If you know of anyone who has one and would let your wife fire it I think she would be very happy with it and very comfortable.

post-10-0-56626300-1411913811_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-12191200-1411913859_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-12373200-1411913882_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-05635100-1411913918_thumb.jpg

SherpaJ

Bernie....That buck on the far right is absolutely ridiculous! The most non-typical rack I've ever seen! How old was that thing?

Gone8to1248

According to our DNR down here who looked and did a study on that deer it was 8 years old. It also has a flop ear with a tine growing out of it and had a club foot that made it look like it was wounded when it walked.. I shot it at 300 yards with my .243 with a 80grain boated soft boat tail slug with 1 shot. They also thought it might have been mentally retarded.

levi64

According to our DNR down here who looked and did a study on that deer it was 8 years old. It also has a flop ear with a tine growing out of it and had a club foot that made it look like it was wounded when it walked.. I shot it at 300 yards with my .243 with a 80grain boated soft boat tail slug with 1 shot. They also thought it might have been mentally retarded.

hhmmm, for a minute there I thought you met my ex-wife.

• Like 1

Gone8to1248

LOL That was a good one Levi!

BirchPoint2014

some nice deer you got there bernie very nice

BirchPoint2014

CEO & COO of Birch Point Resort 

Kashabowie, ON

Kaptain Kirk

243 is a good Caliber I started my son off with it he was shooting it at 11 years old no Problem,

very Little Kick and i Believe DNR has them in Stock in Savage Brand.

Hunter456

Hey there Derrick not sure if you are still looking, I may be interested in selling my remington VTR chambered in .308. It has very little recoil

Cribby

I purchased a 300 wsm for my daughter. Its the browning with the BOSS on it. This allows me to screw on the muzzle brake or straight end. I also for 40.00 dollars put a limb saver. And with both kicks like my 22-250 and without muzzle break a tinny bit more. She's 18 and weights 100-110 and no problem.

I shoot 165 gr loaded up with hand loads or vital shok by federal

, 1 inch high at 100yrds is 0 at 200yrds with a crap load of knock down power. (with no kick)

I feel your wife would be great with anything and a limbsaver is what I'm saying., and I'm not a promoter of things that don't work. 30-06 just unscrew stock recoil pad and add limbsaver. GOOD TO GO.

Hope she enjoys

gsambray

I'm looking into a .243. I use a 7mm mag now but it can be a bit big at times. With a bigger rifle I find a neck shot to be best as the animal goes down instantly with little loss of meat.

nwodeerhunter

I shoot a Tikka T3 in .243 with a 95Gr. Winchester XP3 bullet, great for deer, I haven't had to track one more then 50-60 yards.

Tikka T3 Stainless/Laminate 300 WSM
Tikka T3 Stainless/Synthetic .243Win
Benelli Supernova RealTree APG 12Ga.

Cribby

Not sure what factory ammo offers, but a 130 gr out of any caliber is a great deer bullet. still need to make a good shot placement, but little meat wasted even if shot is off a bit. I have a 22-250 I load with a 60 GR V-Max and it does awesome damage. Even had a pass through at 200 yards with them. Pin hole entry with a 1 inch exit. On an adult deer.