• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pbear

Game Processing

pbear

As an earlier post stated, it appears that sausage Pros is closed for business. If this fall is a warm one, where could you take a moose/deer/bear to be butchered. Some of the local meat shops do cut wild game but it might be a good idea to get a list going just in case summer reappears in October.

Thefishleclair

630-0642. Ron is his name

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

fishingfinn

I just brought a deer to Franks meat on Lithium Dr. It's my first time bringing something there, because I used to go to Sausage Pros. It is nice because they're open 7 days a week, I shot my deer Saturday morning and brought it straight to Franks, no worrying about spoiling meat.

• Like 1

naden

Does franks process meat I always thought it was just a meat locker?

fishingfinn

Does franks process meat I always thought it was just a meat locker?

Yes they process meat. They're cutting up my deer, and they said they make sausages so I'm trying a small batch.

hunt or be hunted

Franks has been processing wild game for years and have or used to have one of the best prices in town for cutting up by the pound, they used to charge around 35 cents a pound but it's been about 4-5 years since I brought meat their as I cut and wrap all my own now.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

i do my own now , except for sauage.

just did a smoked hind today for first time.l WOW turned out awesome

aged meat 6 days in fridge, de-boned the quarter (2 pieces), marinated in red wine, steak spice garlic powder fresh dill and cilantro for 20-30 hours, put foil on racks of smoker and tented meat in foil to keep it wet .smoked for 3.5 hours at 220 , internal temp 140,
unplugged smoker and let sit for 1 hour .

amazing cuts of meat, just mouth watering

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Monks

I've been going to Tim's Meats for 12 years. Take your moose or deer and you get "YOUR" animal back not a mix of everyone else's. His prices are not the cheapest, but the cuts are good and sausage and peppertes are fantastic. He doesn't use cheap pork cuts to make his sausage and such. My group has tried 3 other places for part of our meat just to compare and still going to Tim's.

SherpaJ

European meats makes excellent sausages....the best I've ever had. That being said, it is probably the most poorly managed butcher ever.

Me and a friend brought both our deer to them at the same time. My deer was cut and wrapped (including sausages) within 3 days, price was right, and I was happy. As with any butcher I've seen though, they don't trim the fat off before they cut it (a pet peeve of mine, but I've come to accept it from any butcher). My friend called them after I got my deer, asking when his would be ready (his should have been quicker since he didn't want sausages), they claimed that he never brought a deer in to them. He then battled with them over the course of about two months, presenting his receipt for them taking the deer and all they could say is "sorry, we've somehow lost it". Absolute B.S.! Then on top of that, I ended up finding several pieces of cooper and lead in different packages of hamburger, which means two things: 1. it wasn't my deer since mine was taken by bow and 2. they were throwing spoiled/bruised meat in with the hamburger!!!!!!!

That was the final straw....I'm going back to cutting my own deer again....

naden

European meats makes excellent sausages....the best I've ever had. That being said, it is probably the most poorly managed butcher ever.

Me and a friend brought both our deer to them at the same time. My deer was cut and wrapped (including sausages) within 3 days, price was right, and I was happy. As with any butcher I've seen though, they don't trim the fat off before they cut it (a pet peeve of mine, but I've come to accept it from any butcher). My friend called them after I got my deer, asking when his would be ready (his should have been quicker since he didn't want sausages), they claimed that he never brought a deer in to them. He then battled with them over the course of about two months, presenting his receipt for them taking the deer and all they could say is "sorry, we've somehow lost it". Absolute B.S.! Then on top of that, I ended up finding several pieces of cooper and lead in different packages of hamburger, which means two things: 1. it wasn't my deer since mine was taken by bow and 2. they were throwing spoiled/bruised meat in with the hamburger!!!!!!!

That was the final straw....I'm going back to cutting my own deer again....

ive been hearing stories like this about european meats for years. Your right their sausages are good but likely not your meat.

Our group has had mixed results from different shops. We've had good meat from the commisary and the same year got a batch from there that would so bad you couldnt eat them. Also had some pretty bad batches from north country and others that were not too bad. By far the best tasting sausage and most consistant sausages we had tried were from sausage pros.

Anything Ive tried from Tims meats seems to be pretty good but like already stated it seems to be pretty expensive.

We've never taken anything to strawberry creek, anyone have an opinion on them? Is simpson meats still processing meats?

fishingfinn

ive been hearing stories like this about european meats for years. Your right their sausages are good but likely not your meat.

Our group has had mixed results from different shops. We've had good meat from the commisary and the same year got a batch from there that would so bad you couldnt eat them. Also had some pretty bad batches from north country and others that were not too bad. By far the best tasting sausage and most consistant sausages we had tried were from sausage pros.

Anything Ive tried from Tims meats seems to be pretty good but like already stated it seems to be pretty expensive.

We've never taken anything to strawberry creek, anyone have an opinion on them? Is simpson meats still processing meats?

I've tried moose sausages (smokies) from strawberry creek, they were absolutely disgusting. Maybe it was a bad batch, but I landed up giving them away I couldn't eat them they were that bad.

levi64

I use european meats just for moose sausage. Very good Sausage.

Lyle Reiner

Last year European had an issue with a grinder losing chunks of metal. My friend is a meat inspector as she did all the reporting on it. One of his grinders failed. I'd expect that's where your metal came from

That said. The seasoning European uses has fallen off for what it was in years past.

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Jayfishin

Strawberry meats has been very good for us for the last few years. Went to Tim's once for moose butchering and was treated like crap. He had a bunch on kids doing the cutting and handling. Not impressed with handling practices either and never been back.

Jay

Jayfishin

Strawberry meats has been very good for us for the last few years. Went to Tim's once for moose butchering and was treated like crap. He had a bunch on kids doing the cutting and handling. Not impressed with handling practices either and never been back.

Jay

naden

Strawberry meats has been very good for us for the last few years. Went to Tim's once for moose butchering and was treated like Don't you hate it when people don't clean up after their dogs and you step in it?. He had a bunch on kids doing the cutting and handling. Not impressed with handling practices either and never been back.

Jay

I also didnt care for the service at Tims. I called there a few years ago and inquired about the prices to butcher a moose. When I asked if the price included vacuum wrapping or not the guy on the phone gave me a big lecture and how he has to make money and nothing is for free blah blah blah. I know a guy who took a bear there and it cost over 1000 bucks.........that to me is more than a little pricey especially if the service is not great.

Thefishleclair

1000$ to prcess a bear. Pfffffftttt

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Thefishleclair

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Thefishleclair

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

AB

There are many excellent video's available that cover everything from field dressing to butchering and wrapping, and sausage making. I'd encourage everyone to at least watch one sometime.

Now I realize it is very convenient to drop of an animal at a processing place and pick it up a few days later all wrapped up ready for the freezer. But for about the same investment you can acquire the knives, cutting boards, meat tubs, a grinder and vacuum sealer to do it on your own.

The results are much better than any commercial butcher because you have total control. It takes some time yes, but you learn a heck of a lot to. Turn it into a social event with your hunting partners.

There are a ton of different sausage making kits and recipes out there, and many great books on the craft. There are even classes available every fall at one of the kitchen stores here in Tbay. It's a great way to learn from the pro's.

What you learn is that after grinding, the seasoning of the meat may take some tinkering to get exactly the flavor your looking for. Nothing gets packed into casings until it passes YOUR taste test, not someone else's.

I will still take an animal to a commercial butcher if I'm pressed for time. But I must say that the meats my family cuts and prepares ourselves is as good as or better than anything we've ever gotten back from the 3 commercial operations we've taken animals to in the past.

Its not as hard as you think.

iceman

scandiman

There are many excellent video's available that cover everything from field dressing to butchering and wrapping, and sausage making. I'd encourage everyone to at least watch one sometime.

Now I realize it is very convenient to drop of an animal at a processing place and pick it up a few days later all wrapped up ready for the freezer. But for about the same investment you can acquire the knives, cutting boards, meat tubs, a grinder and vacuum sealer to do it on your own.

The results are much better than any commercial butcher because you have total control. It takes some time yes, but you learn a heck of a lot to. Turn it into a social event with your hunting partners.

There are a ton of different sausage making kits and recipes out there, and many great books on the craft. There are even classes available every fall at one of the kitchen stores here in Tbay. It's a great way to learn from the pro's.

What you learn is that after grinding, the seasoning of the meat may take some tinkering to get exactly the flavor your looking for. Nothing gets packed into casings until it passes YOUR taste test, not someone else's.

I will still take an animal to a commercial butcher if I'm pressed for time. But I must say that the meats my family cuts and prepares ourselves is as good as or better than anything we've ever gotten back from the 3 commercial operations we've taken animals to in the past.

Its not as hard as you think.

iceman

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this subject Iceman. I have field dressed, butchered and wrapped all of the deer that I have harvested in my life thus far. While it may take some time, the rewards far outweigh the effort.

It really makes the experience incredibly rich when you can go from the field to the table with any animal, and know that you did it all.

Cheers,

Markus

pbear

I usually cut up my own deer when the temperature is low enough to hang it outside. What temperature does everyone think is too high to shoot an animal if you don't have a refrigerated location to hang it? I haven't hunted anything yet this year because I was concerned about spoilage. Next week's temperatures look a little bit more promising.

AB

I hang my venison indoors, in a garage. I don't start hunting for deer until the overnight lows are going to be below 4C and the day time highs stay under 12C.

I can always add heat, but it's tough to keep things cool if it's getting to warm during the day.

4C is about where most fridges run. The idea is to keep bacteria growth to a minimum as the meat ages.

Good luck!

Iceman