• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest lacman

Optimax Winterization

Guest lacman

Anyone have experience doing this?

Should I follow the manual to a T or does anyone else have a procedure that has worked for them?

Jayfishin

I follow the manual and it seems best....

Jay

I was wondering if I should be putting oil in the cylinders? I heard its tough to get the plugs out though. Manual says to put a mix of stabilizer and quickleen in where the fuel filter is and let engine run. Would that be enough to prevent corrosion?

rceme74

Winterizing an Optimax is not the same as a regular 2 stroke engine. The procedure is outlined in the service manual. When doing these motors, DO NOT ADD OIL TO THE CYLINDERS. This will clog the injectors openings and could also burn the tips. To get oil into the cylinders, turn key ON. do not start engine, move shifter into gear 5 times until you hear the oil pump turn on, then wait til it stops, then switch the emergency switch off and crank engine for about 30secs. If you have any questions contact your local dealer.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Noooooo. Dont do that. That starts break in mode !! double oil consumption. Not for winterizing. Sure way to foul plugs.

I add oil and additive to my fuel filter and spray some oil in air compressor. Then idle it for a few minutes. Then use some additive in tank

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Some Old Guy

This was emailed to me.

Optimax .

Approved by Mercury to perform this operation. It does not restart the break-in cycle. That can only be restarted by the computer program. Adding oil to the fuel will clog the filters in the injectors, leaning out the cylinders. This condition I have seen all too many times. Injectors cost approx. $250 each plus install. There are 2 injectors per cylinder, 1 fuel injector and 1 Direct injector.

R Hayden
Arte et Marte
Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Lundy

I've done it that way (opening the throttle a few times and having the oil pump kick on) for the past 4 years, after doing a lot of research, and haven't had any problems. First run it for a bit with a mixture of the merc fuel treatment and stabilizer in a new filter, shut it down and do that, crank it a few times. Change lower end oil. Good to go, fire it up and go in the spring.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Okay Google "optimax winterization "

All the answers agree with my statement. Not one mention of throttle sequence.

Then Google "optimax break in mode" and it lists the throttle sequence .

Hmmmmm.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President