• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Spectre

Birds

Spectre

Went out saturday got 6 and went on the quad on sunday and only got 1, they seemed to be a lot more spooked when I was on the quad than in the truck...

RH.

Went out saturday got 6 and went on the quad on sunday and only got 1, they seemed to be a lot more spooked when I was on the quad than in the truck... [

I agree, driving a truck spooks birds far less compared to a ATV, atvs are much louder

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Anyone else noticing way more red meat. I never get spruce hens but now I can't tell them from grouse?? .no red above eyes. Same feathers Got a dozen or so with bow while moose hunting. All identical outside. But over half of em red meat. This was near jellicoe

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

gsambray

I've heard of cross breed from spruce and rugged grouse. Probably what they are

Guest StatusCard2014

I was out 2 weekends ago. I seen like 15 of them together in the middle of the road. I shot 4 of them. Coulda took more but didn't want to take out their whole tribe. I never seen that before

brookiebuster

Great day today for birds. Hiked down a trail on some high ground and got my limit. Lots of fun with the 22.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

johnr

Ditto with the species confusion....Flock of ten and first bird shot was obvious and unmistakably ruffled. Some flew to trees some ran. The treed birds were unmistakably by appearance spruce hens [which are great in spaghetti sauce]. Found it odd that the species were together but took four...two of each and didn't give another thought until cleaning the birds. One had normal white flesh and one had dark red flesh while the other two were somewhere between ......not complaining, just saying!

Guest cm961

I need to find some new spots. I've been out 4 times, probably 14+ hours in the bush and only brought home two birds so far with not many more spotted...

Wopfisher

Where are you hunting?

scandiman

Was out Saturday with a buddy, saw 22 birds, two limits shot. Chickens everywhere. Certainly a better season this year than last, at least where I have been hunting

Guest cm961

Oh man I was out for hours and only saw (and shot) one bird. At lease I actually hit it in the air with my 12 gauge, first time ever. But I definitely need to find some new spots. Any tips on what to look for when selecting a spot?

Wopfisher

Cm961 I sent you a message but was out Saturday seen close to 30 3 limits shot all birds were good size to

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

You want mixed Bush. The uglier the better. Sheltered from wind. Not wide open or high ground. Not reforested or tall pines.

10-noon then 530-7 best times for me. Any time it's gets sunny after a wet morning brings them out in droves to get some sun. If its too windy numbers will be low.

Hope that helps

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

MDR

I went out deer hunting Sunday and so did everyone else it seemed. I am waiting on a buck I saw a few days ago and didn't take the shot on (neck only). Needless to say after the third orange blob walked down the trail I was watching I said to heck with it and went for a bird hunt. Got my limit which was nice for a change.

Also while cleaning one, I saw a pretty gross green and hard mass in the breast. Looks like it had been shot and was recovering from a pellet that just grazed through. I thought it was neat how it was healing itself considering it was otherwise healthy and even flushed.

PRO V

Was out Sunday shot the first bird at 8:25, by 8:45 had limit. Within the next hour chased 34 birds off the road mostly spruce.

Mike

brookiebuster

Limited out today. Lots of birds seen today.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent