• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flybum

Tying season 3

flybum

Tying season 3 is upon us... Weather is cold, winter is coming(Game of thrones haha) and the boxes are getting kinda skinny(atleast mine are) this pattern killed it for me this year, in white. Kelly galoupe's "bottoms up". Lost quite a few to some over excited pike, so here's a few more. More color patterns to come.

Cheers all!

-Bryan

post-1898-0-05338600-1412903953_thumb.jp

post-1898-0-52378300-1412904012_thumb.jp

post-1898-0-75972700-1412904269_thumb.jp

flybum

This is 2 mixed... A barely-legal and a bottoms up, in perch colors.

post-1898-0-98524100-1412989746_thumb.jp

brookiebuster

Deadly patterns!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

hookset

Looking like a good start to next year.

• Like 1

Guest mud trout

What is the fly tying world coming too? .LOL.

Looks like a ton of action built right in. Gallop tie these for bass? Thay would likely make great bass flies.

So how does this work? Head sink while the butt floats? Do they dive and slide when stripped? Just curious, I may tie some up for bass.

You always seem to find creative and new patterns, well done!

flybum

They dip and dive and swim all over! I give em' about a 5 count and start stripping them in pretty aggressively. I used them on kashabowie and a few other lakes with great success on bass(shebandowan a few weeks ago). Fly fishermans equivalent to a jerk bait or a slash bait, In my mind. The ones pictured above Ned to be tossed with no less than a 7wt. They're about 5.5-6" long, dual 1/0 gamakatsu B10s hooks.

><> chuck and duck <><

• Like 1

brookiebuster

Great for trout too!

Guest mud trout

1/0 is much larger than anything i am used to. I usually tie and fish suze 6 as my largest streamer. I have some size 4s but they rarely see the water. I'll try some scaled down version and see how that works.

Seems like a great idea though!!

brookiebuster

Have used these in size 4 on brookies. A little large for most situations but they work great. Usually use non articulated flies in size 4-8 depending on the water I'm fishing.

flybum

1/0 is much larger than anything i am used to. I usually tie and fish suze 6 as my largest streamer. I have some size 4s but they rarely see the water. I'll try some scaled down version and see how that works.

Seems like a great idea though!!

In the tying video, I believe he ties them on a Sz 2. They can be tied in almost ANY size, just use custom cut foam for the rear!

flybum

Also, even when tying small streamers, I HIGHLY recommend gamakatsu B10s hooks. Just in the past few months, they expanded their sz range, from sz14 to 2/0. Phenomenal hooks.

flybum

large "game changer" style, 10+", 4 articulations and a 4/0 heavy cover (gamakatsu) worm hook. Man do these look amazing in the water!!!

post-1898-0-23868300-1413946100_thumb.jp

brookiebuster

Pike candy! Make sure to use a wire leader so you don't lose it lol.

flybum

Pike candy! Make sure to use a wire leader so you don't lose it lol.

I rarely use wire actually. If I'm fishing for bass and get some interest from pike, I use 20-25lb maxima ultra green. If I'm targeting pike specifically, I run 40-60lb fluoro.

flybum

If you ever get the chance to try these Diver heads from rainys, do it! :-)

post-1898-0-14820200-1418323147_thumb.jp

flybum

Flyfishfood's bruiser blend dubbing, doing some work in the new year.

post-1898-0-09073000-1420131819_thumb.jp

brookiebuster

Looks good!

flybum

Stacked and spun deer hair head, trimmed in a slight wedge. Fur feather flash with a big ol' glass rattle(in Mylar tube) hanging out the rear.

post-1898-0-87569200-1422402115_thumb.jp

Guest mud trout

Very nice! I've been tying up way too many muddler heads lately. I think I'm getting a little lazy as well, taking short cut and spinning up a full head from one clump of deer hair, lol. Know of any place I can pick up a few prespun heads? Wait, that just might be the next big thing in tying supplies, I'd buy some... After all you can buy fish skulls, hopper legs, ant bodies.... Who really needs to tie anymore, just fasten down the premade parts...

Sorry, almost started to rant.

That streamer looks buggy, I'm beginning to think everything you tie has a ton of built in action!!

brookiebuster

Looking good!

flybum

Thanks gents, that streamer has a few "working" parts to it.

1) the wedge style head will give it an erratic diving action

2) the collar coming off of the head(green part) "tames" the bucktail behind it and pushes lots of water causing the turbulence needed to make the hackle/ flash dance and the bucktail pulsate.

Without the reverse tied tail and collar coming off the head it would collapse and have a "snake-like" profile, which I'm not really shootin for.. :-p

hookset

So febuary consists of streamers, wet flies#12#14#16, dry flies#12#14#16 only because I just placed orders for materials. Mid march and april will be articulated streamer month. Can't shake them off the brain. Watched flybum tie some beauties and learned a few techniques. Some I can use in my trout steamers.

• Like 1