• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Canoehead

anyone use an sks for deer?

Mr. Canoehead

I picked up a russian sks this summer and its a pretty good shooter. its as accurate as my .308 with open sights and me doing the shooting. Ive decided its my bushwacking gun since my old model 100 has no finish left on the stock and it gouges easily. Also that gun is usually sporting a scope. im confident for hunting with the stock iron sights out to about 150 yards freehand. It can do more but for hunting that all I would attempt. The 7.62 x39 125gr sp ammo is legal for hunting deer and I read it is about 10% less power than a 30-30. Havent shot anything wih it yet though.

Anyways im curious if anyone else owns one, hunts with one or has modifications to theirs etc. Really sweet rifle for the price and rugged.

Guest buckshotbadass

They are a decent brush gun for deer. Rugged, compact, accurate and enough power to take a deer within 100-125 yards for sure, but myself I'm not sure if I would want to push it much further than that just because it's such a small cartridge. I was told to treat them as a hundred yard gun for hunting.

GMK used to have 7.62x39 hunting rounds at about $20-$25 a box I think

Mr. Canoehead

I got 10 $ a box sp hunting ammo from gmk.

Mr. Canoehead

And I was basing the range on my ability to hit paper so good point on the lack of power.

I shot my deer with an SKS this year. I was gonna take the fancy gun out but ended up leaving it home because I didn't want to get it wet and dirty. Deer dropped at 50 yards. But not the same hit by a freight train stone cold dead like a 30/06. No exit wound. I used 10 dollar a box tula ammo from GMK. It's now my favorite deer rifle. I don't worry about abusing it. I would go with the 100 yard rule for sure.

Skol_Vikings

Havent tried a SKS for deer but they are fun to shoot.

I have one with no mods and this one with a Dark Earth Stock on it.

Bought 1000 rounds of non corrosive for about $300 last summer.

Super fun.

post-1202-0-28181600-1422657915_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mr. Canoehead

That looks awesome Skol! And I bet that shed a couple pounds? I found that removing my bayonet reduced weight and made the rifle balance better for freehand shooting. Mods I would like to do to mine are a stock like yours and the Tech Sights rear aperture sight.

I have read in online forums that if you remove the bayonet, you need to sight in again. Not sure how true that is.

Mr. Canoehead

I have read in online forums that if you remove the bayonet, you need to sight in again. Not sure how true that is.

Did not make any noticeable change on mine.

Skol_Vikings

That looks awesome Skol! And I bet that shed a couple pounds? I found that removing my bayonet reduced weight and made the rifle balance better for freehand shooting. Mods I would like to do to mine are a stock like yours and the Tech Sights rear aperture sight.

It is a lot lighter! I haven't actually been able to take it to the range yet to test it out though. When it gets a little warmer I will let you know how it shoots.