• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bighotdog

Legal or Illegal

Bighotdog

I will be going down to the local office in town here but thought till then maybe my question can get answered sooner. I have friend that wants to hunt with me but to make a long story short he took all the courses last year and passed everything. He applied for the moose draw and deer draw and he purchased a small game license as well. The only problem is that he didn't get his Pal because of a previous charge and the ban of firearms till next year. Now my question is if he came hunting with me and he doesn't touch a gun can I shoot his tags and his limits in small game. I honestly don't know if that is legit or not. He is telling me one thing but I am not about to take any chances also to geopradise my future. So there you have it my little question. Like I said I am going to be going to the local office this week when I get a chance to anyway.

Guest Patch

I'm no expert but here's my thoughts on this; it's legal to party hunt for moose and deer, anyone in that party can tag any number of animals as long as there are tags for them. So for the moose and deer I don't see a problem, as long as your buddy and his tag is there I think you're good to go. I'm not sure about the small game though. I would guess that again, as long as he is there with you, you could fill his possession limit.

Like I said though, I'm no expert and don't take this as gospel. If you do speak with a CO please post the correct answer.

Some Old Guy

MNR Answer: A firearm prohibition could come from several sources. A person may have been convicted under provincial law (Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act) or under federal law (Criminal Code of Canada). Either way, you need to find out from your friend what the specific wording of the prohibition is. Is he prevented from acquiring, possessing and being in association with anyone with firearms? If it is the latter, then he cannot even be with you when you hunt even though he doesn’t carry a firearm.

A person may hunt moose, deer or bear in a party with one or more other persons who each hold a valid licence to hunt moose, deer or bear if the person hunts in accordance with the party hunting rules. One of the rules of party hunting is that all members of the party, including the person who holds the seal that is valid for the wildlife that the party is hunting, actively participate in the hunt and hunt co-operatively. The definition of “hunt” under the act includes lying in wait for, searching for, being on the trail of, pursuing, chasing or shooting at wildlife, whether or not the wildlife is killed, injured, captured or harassed. So a person who held a current licence for moose, deer or bear could participate in the hunt without having a firearm and someone who was party hunting with him could harvest the animal.

You cannot party hunt for small game. (grouse, hare etc) ie you harvest your own.

Ross Johnston

Community Liaison

Conservation Officer

Suite B001, 435 S. James St.

Thunder Bay, ON P7E 6S8

Telephone: 807-475-1521

Facsimile: 807-475-1527

Email: ross.johnston@ontario.ca

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bighotdog

Thanks everyone for the info, I had already gone down to the local MNR office and the local Police station the the local Opp detachment to get the answers I needed. Let this be a lesson that even though someone may think they know what they are talking about sometimes we must not assume. Lukily for myself and the rest of my hunting party we could have made some wrong choices leading to a nasty end. Anyway thanks to all and like I said never assume when in doubt just take a few minutes and ask the PROS.