• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flybum

End of season cleanup

flybum

As the water solidifies, most of us are packing it in(including myself). I cleaned out and organized some of my boxes and cannibalized quite a few flies.

I tear down flies at the end of every season. Mostly flies that I tied and was unsure about. I've said it multiple time, I won't fish something if I don't have confidence in it. I'll only tear down the flies that have a hook that I want to re-use or some barbel eyes that ican salvage. Here's the haul from today's tear down.

post-1898-0-90709700-1415829133_thumb.jp

hookset

I should salvage some hooks from my scrap fly pile. Some flies I used a ton of glue during the assembly, and they are a pain to clean off.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I dunno, some say fire messes with the integrity of the hook, I've used a butane lighter and have even done bend tests and notice no difference in strength, maybe some hooks are different, but fires fast when glue is involved, if it is just thread and material I still just use a box cutter.

flybum

I have a scrap piece of wood and a Lg exacto blade. Put the fly with the hook eye down( resting on the wood) starting at the bend(or wherever the material is) with constant pressure and a slight sawing motion it will take care of the glue. I had no issue with some lg epoxy heads. Just watch your fingers!!!

If you weren't going to fish the fly anyways, there's no point of losing a finger. If it's too tough, just leave it.

Lyle Reiner

Heat will harden and strengthen metal. But it can also make steel more brittle. Depends on the length of heat, how long it takes to cool etc

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada