• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DarrenRackShack

Hunter Etiquitte - Am I in the wrong?

Guest DarrenRackShack

So, I have a quick question but it has some backstory. I am a bow hunter and I have been very successful with the city controlled deer hunt here in Thunder Bay. I've harvested a few deer per year since it opened up and I have been hunting the same property to do so. When I first started it was my brothers father in law that got the permission slips signed to hunt a property a friend of his owns. Now, his son was going to get into archery but with limited time and funds he wasn't able to do so. He does have a bow but hasn't taken the time to properly tune it and be ready to hunt. We talked a few days ago about how things are going and leave it at that.

Fast forward to today.

I get a message saying that he was in my stand, using my feed and had a 9 pt buck come in that I was tracking feeding times using my trail cam.

Yes, he does have permission to hunt that property but I'm not a guide. I sit countless hours in the wet and cold so I can harvest game to put on the table. I guess lesson learned, lie about your hunt, whats coming around and what you are doing.

Its like having a secret lake, lake nunya, but on a way more personal level.

So my question...Is it right of me to be a little pissed off?

gsambray

Yes and no. If that makes sense lol. Both have permission to hunt the property. So that means you both have the right to be there. As for using your equipment, its not fare that you pay for it all but both use it. It might be worth making an agreement before the season on what's what. I would be pissed to but what can you really do. I had the same situation happen to me when I found another hunter helping themself to my feed that I paid for. He didn't care even though in my mind it was theft.

Guest DarrenRackShack

And therein lies my predicament. Yes he does have permission from the land owner but to not be involved in the season until asking if I'm seeing anyhting then going out and having an easy go at it....its just not right, morally. I wouldn't care less if he was active on the property and contributing to the season, but hes not.

I put it this way.

You might get an invite to a potluck dinner, but you can't eat for free. You either bring something to the table and enjoy what everyone has to offer, or, stay home.

Maybe I'm just frustrated. I just wanna bag a deer then get on with ice fishing season. LOL.

hunt or be hunted

I agree with both being upset and not, u both have permission to hunt the land so it's a joint understanding that u both want to harvest animals, now sayn that, it sounds like u have invested some time into ur area and done ur homework, so for him to just walk in and jump right up into ur set up without permission to use ur gear I would be upset about that yes indeed, sit him down and come up with a common ground agreement for a hunting solution, like mabey he brings in his own stand and set it up somewhere else or splits the costs of feed with you. Communication is KEY in this situation to prevent further problems and if he's really not willing to agree then u could always go to a portable tree stand and or remove the ladder each time u leave so he can't use it but obviously u don't want it to get that far. Now the part that actully would get me pissed off is the that he's up their hunting with a bow not tuned up and not enough practice and skill set to make an ethical shot on an animal! The last thing anyone wants is a wounded deer. Try and be mentor to the fellow hunter and be his teacher and show him the right way. We had to learn from someone or if u didnt at least steered in the right direction of right or wrong! Just my 2 cents ! Cheers and happy hunting !

Fishbum

I'd say you can't get to mad at him.. hey you knew he wasn't inviolved to much in the pre hunt, yet when he asked what your seeing you told him knowing he has permission... kinda your fault should have put two and two togeather figureing he would try and hunt if you said it was good and forth it As for the stand... ya i'd give em a little bones.. like wtf you never asked to hunt "my" spot you knew it was my stand there.

still not as bad as the complete stranger driving up to you in a cut and wanting to drive past and hunt it.. when clearly you were there first! then pissed off when you say no.. hahaha makes me laugh!

Guest DarrenRackShack

Yeah, I'm not asking if I have the right to be mad, or that he shouldn't be there or that I need to sit down and have a chit chat. I'm getting at Eddiquite, do you hunt someone elses spot if you know its hot, do you use their stuff.

I was thinking no...

Just wanted to know if others would feel the same as I do. It hasn't been an easy season so maybe I'm taking it harder then I should. And with less then a week left, I'm feeling the pressure...no time to move now, just gotta deal with it.

Mr. Canoehead

I think since you are on private property you guys should have the ability to sit down and come up with your own ground rules. On Crown land where I hunt that is simply not possible. And let me tell you you're not the only one getting robbed this year. I had decent a six pointer taken from right under my nose by some guys who randomly drove up on me! But at least you have some recourse in your situation. Hope you fill your tags this weekend, I will be out hunting too... and if it's brown it's down!

Guest DarrenRackShack

And that's it, he's been allowed to hunt that property with me for 3 years but has yet to step foot on it. I've harvested a few deer from there and have done it all on my own. It just rubs me the wrong way that he thinks it's ok to come in with 5 days left in the season and set up. I went there today and almost directly across the field he has a stand set up with a feed pile.

arvey

sounds like you do the ground work he's looking for the glory. i'd tell him to set up his own stand and feeder somewhere else and leave mine alone. i'm sure the property is large enough for both. I also seen this sort of thing when the 2 hunters started bantering over who should be doing and what, the property owner got pissed and said get lost.

arvey

Guest DarrenRackShack

That's exactly it, if we were a hunting party and worked together, no big deal. I've also brought buddies out to hunt with because I have two set ups. But for him to think it's ok just to go and start hunting now because he has permission really makes me doubt his character and morals. I don't own the deer, or the property, but I do have my pride.

Cribby

LMAO, back to feeders are we. Sorry to hear about your missed opportunity, But even if it was his first day on the property it wouldn't take long to figure out where the deer are, feed or no feed.. You have made the deer's habits repetitive and I bet the two set ups have the most deer traffic around them. As a hunter you hunt these high traffic areas because you have a better chance to fill your tag. Not his fault you feed them and create this opportunity, or you put your feed where there was a natural high traffic area. You should take your stand down when you don't use it, or make it so he can't access it from the ground without his own ladder or pegs. He would probably just stand on the ground and have the same success. Would you still be pissed if he did that?

As for his bow, he may have took your advice since you last spoke and had it tuned and practiced like crazy for his big day. He put the animal down right? It must have been an ethical shot and hit its mark.

So what I'm saying with this is, Don't use feed or don't get pissed if someone shoots a deer in that high traffic area. You knew he was thinking about going out, but you thought telling him he's not ready would stop him. You already kind of knew this was going to happen, but did nothing to prevent it. Accept tell him what you've seen in "your spots" which is the reason he headed there. So suck it up butter cup.

Be safe, only a few more days left. Keep your spirits high, and I don't mean get drunk and go hunting. Lol

Regards

Cribby

Monks

Don't "feed" the Cribby troll. He don't like people feeding deer or hunting within the regs.

• Like 3

Monks

As for your situation. Sounds like this guy may not be aware that he even did anything wrong. Have a chat with him and let him know how you feel. He sounds like a new hunter and to him he probably did nothing wrong. Everyone has differing views on hunting etiquette, unless you speak with him he won't know yours. Just ask Cribaby I mean Cribby... His hunting etiquette trumps everyone.

• Like 4

Guest DarrenRackShack

No, he's not a new hunter...he's just the type of person that benefits off other people's hard work. I should have saw the signs when his moose hunting party dumped him because he would go out there for a week and loaf off of them.

He didn't shoot anything, just him being there frustrated me. It's like you go to moose camp for a week and spend your time calling in moose and getting everything set up. Then you work one day and you are excited because you are getting some calls back and seeing signs. You tell your buddy and he sneaks out there and cashes in...it's a piss off, and I think the buddy is in the wrong. That's all.

Weather he has permission to be there or not, he shouldn't have the privilege to take a walk down easy street.

So tuesday he used my stand, wednesday he put out his own with feed and a cam 50 yards from me. Now today he cleaned up all his feed, took down his cam but left his stand. Not sure what his deal is...just stay away for 4 days and keep it peaceful in there. Lol

Monks

Well you have your answer then...if this is his conduct normally you should not expect it to change. Ya its frustrating for sure when you do all the work. Just ask Rogers wife. Oops damn spell check.

The guy will never change. Adjust and find new hunting areas. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Cribby

As for your situation. Sounds like this guy may not be aware that he even did anything wrong. Have a chat with him and let him know how you feel. He sounds like a new hunter and to him he probably did nothing wrong. Everyone has differing views on hunting etiquette, unless you speak with him he won't know yours. Just ask Cribaby I mean Cribby... His hunting etiquette trumps everyone.

Mr Monks, It feels great that you still remember me. I feel like were BFF's on this site now. And with your last sentence you understand me too.

Merry Christmas Mr Monks, I would ask what you want under the tree,but I already know because your my BFF. It's a bag of deer chow am I right? And a feeder with a timer so you don't have to go out everyday and put chow. Not saying your LAZY, but one might think that.

Don't worry I'll defend your ethics if anyone say bad things about you. That's what a BFF does.

Three more days left and its going to be warm out all weekend take advantage if you have a tag left.. Good luck to all fellow hunters and especially my BFF "Mr Monks"

Cribby

Mr. Canoehead

No, he's not a new hunter...he's just the type of person that benefits off other people's hard work. I should have saw the signs when his moose hunting party dumped him because he would go out there for a week and loaf off of them.

He didn't shoot anything, just him being there frustrated me. It's like you go to moose camp for a week and spend your time calling in moose and getting everything set up. Then you work one day and you are excited because you are getting some calls back and seeing signs. You tell your buddy and he sneaks out there and cashes in...it's a piss off, and I think the buddy is in the wrong. That's all.

Weather he has permission to be there or not, he shouldn't have the privilege to take a walk down easy street.

So tuesday he used my stand, wednesday he put out his own with feed and a cam 50 yards from me. Now today he cleaned up all his feed, took down his cam but left his stand. Not sure what his deal is...just stay away for 4 days and keep it peaceful in there. Lol

I've had these types of individuals in various parts of my life. They just take take take. One guy asked me to help him fix something in his house every weekend for a good while there...but whenever i ask him for a hand he is busy doing something stupid with his wife. So I cut him out of the picture. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt but eventually once they have shown who they are you just have to move on and realize that people don't usually change.

• Like 2

gsambray

Mr Monks, It feels great that you still remember me. I feel like were BFF's on this site now. And with your last sentence you understand me too.

Merry Christmas Mr Monks, I would ask what you want under the tree,but I already know because your my BFF. It's a bag of deer chow am I right? And a feeder with a timer so you don't have to go out everyday and put chow. Not saying your LAZY, but one might think that.

Don't worry I'll defend your ethics if anyone say bad things about you. That's what a BFF does.

Three more days left and its going to be warm out all weekend take advantage if you have a tag left.. Good luck to all fellow hunters and especially my BFF "Mr Monks"

Cribby

I'd love a bag of deer chow under the Christmas tree. Plus a feeder with a timer, wow what a generous person. You can be my bff cribby no matter how arrogant you are. Happy holidays.

• Like 2

Iron Ranger

Cribby

I'll be your BFF Mr. crybaby. However BFF takes on another meaning with you.

You certainly are an arrogant poster. Your posts make me want to go out and bait deer just to spite you.

• Like 2

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Cribby

gsambray, sorry my tree is full this year with BFF's, but I will let you be my LBFN (Little Buddy For Now). When I get an opening your first on the list.

I see you feel left out Iron Ranger. I will talk to santa and he might see you to.

Cribby

MDR

I don't think the OP was in the wrong at all to be upset. It was your feed and your stand. I know if I had put in the effort to track and pattern a deer as well as the cost of baiting, I would be upset if someone tried to swoop in and benefit from my hard work. Much like the workplace, someone does all the work and others piggyback until you tell them to stop being a freeloader. As for baiting or not, bait away, just because someone else doesn't agree with your style...who cares. It is what works for YOU and as long as it is within the boundaries of the law by all means go ahead.

• Like 1

robbo

3 days into our hunt, many hours in the blind, cuts watched and cruised, we come across a beautiful 8 pt. rutting (dumb as a post) buck standing broadside 40 yds to our left in wide open flat land. I'm riding shotgun, my buddy driving and other good pal in backseat behind him, so i'm the only shooter from the concealed side of the truck. Unbelievable luck but of course we're going to take advantage.

I gently climb out (he's watching the whole time but like I said, young, dumb and horny) slowly load my clip and pull the slide on my semi-auto as quietly as possible. As I'm taking a brief view at this fantastic animal while using the hood corner as an elbow rest, (he wasn't going anywhere so I wanted to take a nice look at him standing there seeing as he pretty much gave himself to us), a fmzncndiejdncing cannon goes off on the other side of the truck and I see through my scope the buck's shoulder buckle and back arch.

WTF, my finger is at half pull and I'm wondering what the hell is happening. I didn't shoot and obviously my pals are still in the truck watching me harvest this animal. NOT! My pal in the back had thrown his door open, jumped out, bolted a round and punched a bullet right in front of me. Are you fusjwnhhing serious! He spends the rest of the week carrying on about the buck he put down like he birthed it himself.

This year's hunt, great pals for 20 yrs, through gritted teeth I congratulated him on his first buck, so pissed! Anyone else would've got the butt of my rifle in the bridge of their nose. If only I'd known we were "speed hunting." S.O.B.

going fishing is okay, going catching is great!

Iron Ranger

gsambray, sorry my tree is full this year with BFF's, but I will let you be my LBFN (Little Buddy For Now). When I get an opening your first on the list.

I see you feel left out Iron Ranger. I will talk to santa and he might see you to.

Cribby

I rest my case cribaby,

You have proven you are nothing more than a little troll. Heck, Santa's elves could probably handle you easily.

Have fun being a so called mentor to someone else. You sure are full of yourself and seem to enjoy ripping others regarding the way they hunt.

"If you think you have any credibility, try ordering someone else's dog what to do".

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Some Old Guy

What's BFF mean? Big fat "fbomb"?

Roger

• Like 2

R.T.R. Respect the resource!