• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
eyelander

Indian Rubber Balls-anybody remember these things?

eyelander

used to be common 40 years ago. They were made of rubber from India. The running joke was when playing baseball with them what park could they not be hit out of?

The answer was Quetico.

Any idea where I can get some of these, or anybody still have some kicking around?

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Retriever

I loved playing with these India rubber balls, especially bouncing them off the asphalt and on to the school wall and catching them. A great one person activity.

This was in the late 1950s.

Now, I've only seen the red ones with the seam - likely used as a cricket ball.

The balls I used were smooth and dark coloured. I've been looking for them as well but have been unsuccessful.

eyelander

Nope, these things were more the size of a squash ball.

arvey

I remember these balls to be about the size of a regular ball . then something called a super ball came out and also one called a high bouncer ,both of these were around the size of a squash ball . boy did they fly.

ralphthedog

I think you are referring to a lacrosse ball. Have you checked Play It Again Sports?

eyelander

No, these things were not lacrosse balls.

Guest 2112

When i was young I made the mistake of using an indian rubber ball while playing road hockey. Took a shot square on my satchel. When down hard.. I think its still bruised.

WalleyeWayne

I can relate 2112. We used tennis balls for road hockey until they all split....then we used the white Indian rubber balls. Boy did those suckers leave some memorable brusies! They made quick work of the garage door and any window nearby also. LOL!

eyelander

I don't remember the white ones, can they still be aquired somewhere?

johnr

I used these things my whole life for solo infield practice during my ball playing days! Throw it against the school at varying speeds and you will quickly learn footwork and eye/hand to field, transfer and throw accurately from all angles. Don't know what a "satchel" is but can tell you these things made you learn in a hurry to follow the ball into the glove. Take one of these things in the "luggage" and you will either get good or quit! Sorry Eyelander that I can't help you and for wandering off topic but you brought back many fond memories....thanks

eyelander

Satchel.... luggage.... same thing ie: nutsack!!! LOL!!!!

WalleyeWayne

Check Play-It-Again Sports. If he doesn't have he may be able to order them for you.

eyelander

OK, Play It Again Sports does not carry them any more, but the lady at the counter told me to check out this place......

Arella's Quality Dollar & Import Store 292 Bay St, Thunder Bay, ON P7B 1R8
I had to pick up my prescription from Jansens right next door anyways, so I checked them out. They do supply them, but it is a seasonal item. They won't have any until spring. Lots of neat stuff in this store though.