• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flybum

Don't be discouraged!!

flybum

Since moving here, I have realized that thunder bay is THE WORST for people being negative and having animosity towards others about fishing tips/techniques etc. Flyfishing is even worse! Here's a good article/read

http://montanamatt.com/2014/12/28/how-to-keep-your-head-up-in-the-hobby-of-fly-fishing-that-is-filled-with-jealousy-and-competitiveness-fly-fishing-is-awesome-why-be-so-uptight/

Squaretail

This is one of the main reasons I don't associate with many of the local fly fisherman or are hesitant to start. I really don't care for the "in" crowd of fly guys. Ive been fly fishing for twenty years and it's only gotten worse. Part of the reason the club never lasted. My two cents.

• Like 1

flybum

That my reason for not so much wanting a "club"... That's a 4 letter word and it makes people feel "elite" or better. I want a group... A group of people who share the passion to pass the sport on and teach people to teach others. And not be the type of person talked about in that article.

CoryCo

I've only met a couple guys off here but everyone was pretty good. I find when you meet guys out on the river is when there's animosity

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

The few fly fishermen I've met on the board have become good friends and I have ended up ice fishing with them, going for beers. If you are willing to meet new people and just go with the flow it can work out pretty well. Sure though, there are some snobs out there.

Thefishleclair

Mothly meet and greet at bars sre great. There have been a few started on this board. I for one like to go and fish with others. I wont take ya to my secret gem honey hole but I will show my favorite close to town ones that produce fish and pretty open.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

flybum

Freshwater fisherman and I were talking about something along those lines of a "beer tie" meet, greet, beer and maybe tie a fly or something... Venue is the issue...

Thefishleclair

Hmmmmmmmmm

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest mud trout

I don't know many fly fishers in the area. I rarely see anyone on the rivers or creeks that i fish. Most that i have met have been kind.

I got a few dirty looks from a couple fellows when i showed up at "their pool" one spring during steelhead season. Must have been members of the good ol boys club. I didn't even wet a line, imagine if i had stepped into their water...

I have a couple good friends that i drag out a couple times a year but they aren't into fly fishing like i am.

Cory was gracious enough to come along on one of my excursions. I don't think he mind all the hiking, we got in to some trout and it was a good day!

Mostly now I get back far from the crowds, so much so that i have water all to myself. As much as i enjoy fishing alone, it would be great to find someone who would want to get to the remote creeks and fish the way i do. There are times for company and times for solitude.

I wouldn't let others get you down, just share what you know where it is welcomed and appreciated. i have often had to bite my tongue, some people already know everything while they drop their back cast, tangle their line, snag a tree and impel a little flesh, just give them a wide berth and leave well enough alone. You'll catch fish while they struggle In all of their knowingness. I once took a freind to a favourite creek and could tell right away that he was struggling to cast his line. I tried to offer just a couple quick tips but he shot them down and suggested that he didn't want his casting to seem robotic but preferred instead to feel his way through it. I left him alone and he continues to flail away until he broke his rod. I then took his broken rod and jimmied it together ( the break was near the handle), used his and gave him my rod so that he could continue to fish. It should be noted that i had a very cheap rod at the time, i don't think i would do that today, lol. This friend has since taken the casting advice and has very much improved.

CoryCo

Yeah we definitely have to head out again in the spring mud trout.

Last summer is the first time went fishing alone more often than not because I was laid off and everybody else was working. I like finding new places to fish alone because you don't have to listen to whining if the spot is a dud.