• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
juststarting

Fly fishing gear advice

juststarting

Hey guys,

If you've got a few minutes to share some thoughts on upgrading gear, I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Last spring i got a starter rod/reel combo set - perfect for getting out and learning to cast and catch a few small rainbows. Had a good time with it all summer, hooked lots of branches and put some new holes in my hat.

Thinking of starting to slowly upgrade my gear, not wanting to spend a ton of money but might as well start to get some better stuff.

So, what i'm asking is where would you recommend i begin? Should i invest in a better rod? reel? upgraded line? etc...

Thanks,

Shawn

Thefishleclair

A nice rod and quality line are great combo. I used to run some cheap combis and found when I went to better rod and line I was able to cast better and aim better. Proper tippets are key too. Im looking to possibly upgrade to the next level and see if the extra $$$ does make more of a impact to preformance then my rod line combo now. I only fish for brookies and bows with the rod i got now.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

flybum

The fancy reels are primarily just expensive line holders. That being said, I have a few 400$ line holders. It's a preference there.

No need for a crazy expensive reel unless you're going for saltwater stuff, most freshwater fish rarely test the drag.

For smaller creek stuff and lighter weight reels. Something with a low startup inertia on the drag to protect the lighter tippets.

Depending on YOUR skill level, a high end faster tapered rod can be a hinderence more than help. If you can't load that Rod it's worth nothing to you.

Line wise, your Rod will tell you a lot. Close quarter stream fishing might require a DT line for easier loading. If you need longer casts, a good WF line with a braided core is gunna be key. I can go an for a while.

I have slow action glass rods which I love and fast action graphite which I also love. Most have their time and place.

Guest mud trout

If you're not sure where to start, and you know your line is lower end, then buy a new line. It could make all the difference. Rio, Cortland, airflow, etc all make great lines. I prefer Rio lines followed by Airflow. If you would like to save money on a line, try Cabelas prestige line. It may be one of the best for the money. Don't buy it from a US Cabelas because now with frt and duty, you may as well pick up the higher priced lines.

Once you get out with the new line you may realize the rod you're using is plenty good enough. I know back when i first wNted to upgrade i did so with the line a couple of times over a couple of years before buying a new rod. A good line can make your rod perform to the potential you provide for while continueing to practice your casting. A bad line and the whole outfit feels like garbage.

There are a ton of good rods out there and many can suggest different brands but if you're putting up somewhere between 150 to 200 on a good recognized brand then you'll get a decent to very good rod. But i would seriously just upgrade the line first and see what happens.

If you would like to have an idea for brands, specific lines and types just pm me and i can help. I have tossed most brands in many line wts and types.

Guest Beamer

My advice is buy the best gear you can afford, that being said all of the components have their place, situation and application. For example on small streams and fish yes the reel is simply a line holder so you can make due with a cheaper reel, but go after steelhead, big brook trout or salmon and nothing could be farther from the truth, and a reel with a smooth drag is a must or you will be standing there wondering what happened. Same applies to the line and rod, I have had countless people use my gear and their first comment is always how nice the rod feels and casts, good rods and line make casting a lot easier. There are lots of great buys out there but my advice again is buy the best gear you can afford.

juststarting

Thanks all. Lots to think about. I like that suggestion to upgrade the line first, primarily cause its easy and relatively cheap. Would you suggest getting a cheap reel to hold that new line on and just leave the reel/line i've got already spooled as an extra?

Guest mud trout

Getting a new reel is up to you, it's something I would do for a number of reasons.

First because there are a lot of reasonable priced reels out there, some with very good drags. But don't bother with a good drag system if you're fishing creeks for Brookies and rainbows. The better drag is only needed for the larger hard fighting fish.

Secondly, if your new reel packs it in unexpectedly, you have a backup.

Also you will eventually have a collection if you're serious about fly fishing so you may as well start now.

As well, at sometime you will likely have line, rod and reel all upgraded and wala, a loner outfit to take a freind along and introduce to fly fishing.

Castnblast

I'd say start with a good rod and a nice line.

They make for nice fishing...

The longer you fish, the larger fish you will want to catch.

When you start hooking bigger fish, the quality of your reel will become an immediate priority.

When that starts to happen, there is alot of good quality used gear on the market for sale at a fraction of retail price.

Good luck with your fishing!

fishman1
On Thursday, February 05, 2015 at 2:04 PM, flybum said:

The fancy reels are primarily just expensive line holders. That being said, I have a few 400$ line holders. It's a preference there.

No need for a crazy expensive reel unless you're going for saltwater stuff, most freshwater fish rarely test the drag.

For smaller creek stuff and lighter weight reels. Something with a low startup inertia on the drag to protect the lighter tippets.

Depending on YOUR skill level, a high end faster tapered rod can be a hinderence more than help. If you can't load that Rod it's worth nothing to you.

Line wise, your Rod will tell you a lot. Close quarter stream fishing might require a DT line for easier loading. If you need longer casts, a good WF line with a braided core is gunna be key. I can go an for a while.

I have slow action glass rods which I love and fast action graphite which I also love. Most have their time and place.of course a reel wih a good drag is crucial.  Tie ino a 20 pound steelhead and see if your drag isnt tested?