• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tracker

Moose Management- Need input- EBR 012-3413

tracker

Here you go boys, we have until March 9 to submit our concerns regarding the proposed regulation changes

ebr posting

Regulation Proposal Notice: EBR Registry Number: 012-3413

Title:
Amendment to regulations under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act for moose hunting in northern Ontario

Ministry:
Ministry of Natural Resources
Date Proposal loaded to the Registry:
February 06, 2015

Keyword(s): Fish and Wildlife
Comment Period: 31 days: submissions may be made between February 06, 2015 and March 09, 2015.

Description of Regulation:

Moose play an important role in Ontario’s ecosystems and are an integral component of the province’s rich biodiversity. Moose contribute economic and ecological benefits to the people of Ontario, and are highly valued by Aboriginal Peoples. Recent population surveys showed declines in moose populations in many parts of northern Ontario, a trend also being seen in other North American jurisdictions.

The Moose Project was undertaken to explore potential management actions to address or mitigate pressures on moose populations such as harvest, predation, parasites, climate and changing habitat. During the first phase of consultations, opportunities for early action to support healthy and resilient moose populations in Ontario were identified. In response, as an initial step and beginning in 2015, the following moose harvest management strategy is being proposed: limiting the calf moose hunting season across northern Ontario to a two week period.

In addition, Ontario will continue to extend opportunities to discuss new moose population objectives and, based on input received, will address the broader range of pressures on the moose population (such as climate change, diseases and interactions with other species (i.e., deer, bear and wolf populations)).

There will be further opportunity to discuss and comment on additional actions in coming months.

Harvest management strategy proposed for implementation beginning in 2015:

• Establish a two-week resident and non-resident open hunting season for calf and adult moose across northern Ontario, beginning on the Saturday closest to October 22; all allowable firearms (as per existing seasons) could be used during this season. Outside of this two-week season, calf moose could not be harvested. Hunting for an adult moose would still be permitted for the remainder of the open season with a valid moose licence and in accordance with existing rules.

For implementation in 2016:

• Delay the start of resident and non-resident moose hunting seasons across much of northern Ontario by one week.

To implement the proposed changes, amendments to various regulations under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA) would be required to establish new seasons based on age or other factors, change the seasons for resident and non-resident moose hunting and make associated consequential amendments:

A) In Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) 1A, 1C, 1D, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7A, 7B, 8, 9A, 9B, 11A, 11B, 12A, 12B, 13, 14, 15A, 15B, 16A, 16B, 16C, 17, 18A, 18B, 19, 21A, 21B, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 42
i. establish an open season for calf and adult moose which would begin the Saturday closest to October 22 and end on the second following Friday, in any year; all allowable firearms could be used during this season.

B) Beginning in 2016, change the opening date of the resident and non-resident moose hunting seasons in WMUs 5, 6, 7A, 7B, 8, 9A, 9B, 11A, 11B, 12A, 12B, 13, 14, 15A, 15B, 19, 21A, 21B, 22, 23, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 42 to begin one week later.

Purpose of Regulation:
To consult on proposed amendments to moose hunting regulations as part of the Moose Project, in order to support healthy and resilient moose populations that provide ecological, social, economic and cultural benefits to the people of Ontario.

Other Information:
The following web links provide additional (or supporting) information:
• E-Laws – O. Reg. 665/98 (Hunting). The current regulatory provisions regarding the hunting of moose and other big game species are found in O. Reg. 665/98.
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_980665_e.htm
• E-Laws – O. Reg. 670/98 (Open Seasons – Wildlife). The current regulatory provisions regarding open seasons for moose and other game species are found in O. Reg 670/98.
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_980670_e.htm
• A table of the Proposed Open Moose Hunting Seasons for 2015. http://apps.mnr.gov.on.ca/public/files/er/2015-proposed-moose-seasons.pdf
• A table of the Proposed Open Moose Hunting Seasons for 2016. http://apps.mnr.gov.on.ca/public/files/er/2016-proposed-moose-seasons.pdf
Background information available at www.ontario.ca/moose:
• Moose Resource Reports providing information on the status and health of moose populations, as well as basic information on: moose policy and management, habitat, trends in moose hunters, tag quotas and licensed harvest.
• Cervid Ecological Framework which provides strategic policy for how moose, deer and elk are managed in relation to each other, including broad population and habitat guidance.
• Moose Management Policy and Moose Harvest Management Guidelines that provide an overview of the range of harvest management actions and tools that can be employed to help meet ecologically-based moose population goals.

Public Consultation:

This proposal has been posted for a 31 day public review and comment period starting February 06, 2015. If you have any questions, or would like to submit your comments, please do so by March 09, 2015 to the individual listed under "Contact". Additionally, you may submit your comments on-line.
All comments received prior to March 09, 2015 will be considered as part of the decision-making process by the Ministry of Natural Resources if they are submitted in writing or electronically using the form provided in this notice and reference EBR Registry number 012-3413.

Please Note: All comments and submissions received will become part of the public record. You will not receive a formal response to your comment, however, relevant comments received as part of the public participation process for this proposal will be considered by the decision maker for this proposal.

Other Public Consultation Opportunities:

The Ministry has engaged stakeholder groups, as well as members of the public with a range of interests related to moose (e.g., hunting, tourism operations, business owners) through a series of meetings in order to gather their insights and input on factors affecting moose populations and potential management actions to support healthy moose populations and provide benefits to Ontarians.

A random sample of 2,700 resident moose hunters across the province was also surveyed to help determine hunter activities and opinions towards moose populations and changes to hunting regulations, and to assess the economic aspects of moose hunting.

As part of the ongoing Moose Project, there will be further opportunities for public input as moose population objectives are considered and other potential management actions to address the pressures facing moose are considered for future implementation.

Regulatory Impact Statement:

The anticipated environmental consequences of the proposal are positive. It is intended to mitigate pressures on the moose population to ensure it remains healthy and resilient. The proposed harvest management strategy changes are consistent with Ontario’s mandate related to the sustainable management of Ontario’s natural resources.

The anticipated social consequences of the proposal are neutral. The proposed harvest management strategies are included as available tools in Ontario’s Moose Harvest Management Strategy Guidelines (2009), developed in consultation with the public.

The ministry has also recently engaged stakeholders, Aboriginal groups and communities and the public in discussions about potential management actions; in particular, the proposed shortened calf moose season was generally supported as a way to help address moose population concerns without significantly restricting overall moose hunting opportunities available. Over the longer term, the anticipated social consequences of the proposal will be positive as it is intended to mitigate pressures on the moose population to ensure it remains healthy and resilient.

The anticipated economic consequences of the proposal are generally neutral. A shortened calf moose season and shortened adult moose season in parts of Ontario do not significantly restrict overall hunting opportunities available, although they may shift the timing of hunting activity by hunters or a reduction in the number of days hunted. As such, these strategies are not anticipated to significantly impact economic benefits associated with hunting activity, and are not expected to significantly impact the tourist industry. Over the longer term, the anticipated economic consequences of the proposal are expected to be positive as it is intended to mitigate pressures on the moose population to ensure it remains healthy and resilient.

All comments on this proposal must be directed to:

Wildlife Policy Section
PUBLIC INPUT COORDINATOR
Ministry of Natural Resources
Policy Division
Biodiversity Branch
Wildlife Policy Section
300 Water Street
PO Box 7000
Peterborough Ontario
K9J 8M5
Phone: (705) 755-1940
Fax: (705) 755-1957

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

pbear

Some big changes. I'm curious if there has been any studies conducted that examined the mortality rate of calves that are orphaned during the hunting season? If a cow was taken prior to the snowfall would they have a reasonable chance of survival? I'm not suggesting they should eliminate cow hunting, but maybe they should link cow hunting and calf hunting tags together for the non- calf hunting portions of the proposed season.

They should also look at some of the regulations involving wolves and bears. The spring bear hunt should be reinstituted for all WMU's where the population of moose is being decimated and the bear population is on the rise. I have no issues shooting a bear because bear sausages and bear burgers are fantastic. I don't hunt wolves because I don't eat them. I wouldn't know what to do with the fur of a wolf if I did shoot one. That being said I saw more bears and wolves this season than I did moose. I only saw two cows in the two weekends I hunted moose this year but saw several bears and two wolves.

If deer populations are exploding across the province in traditional moose areas, why not have a dual tag system where you can shoot a doe or a buck with one tag and strictly a doe with the other. Two tags for the price of one. I am not an expert on the subject but many people save their buck/doe tag they get in the lottery to shoot a buck rather than take a doe early in the season. Some states in the US require you to shoot a doe prior to shooting a buck. Im not sure if deer densities in the 11, 12,13,15b WMUS would support this type of hunting (I don't suspect they would).

These ideas I'm suggesting aren't based on any scientific research, just one hunter's opinion. Hopefully some other hunters can weigh in on this and shoot these ideas out of the water and come up with some better ones.

• Like 1

gsambray

go back to how it was for tags. 2 tags per animal. bull cow or calf it cuts down the amount of animals being harvested and cut down theamount of wasted animals left in the bush after he/she sht not knowing what they were shooting at.

naden

The proposed regulations and tables are very poorly worded. So to sum it up for 2015 adult season same as usual, reduced calf season. 2016 delay the start of the season by 1 week as well as a reduced calf season. Am I reading this right? Would it not have made more sense to say Adult only moose open oct 10 to the dec 15th, calves may only be harvested oct 24 to nov 6?

Why even have the calf harvest at all if it is reduced to such a short time period?

Some Old Guy

Would shorter hunting season would this not "cram" hunters up? Meaning way more people all at once in hunting areas?

I work at DNR and hear all sorts of horror stories as hunting groups encounter each other already.

When I read stuff like this it reminds me of the beginning of the end.

The real problem is not looked at whatsoever.

We never had deer where I live 15 years ago. Saw at least one or two moose a week. Now you never see a moose (not for twelve years now. Saw a set of tracks this year) all uou see is deer and lots!

Always the harvesters get looked at. And rules changed and worded so bad that interpretation is wide open so it gets confusing.

The seasons will get shorter and shorter until they're gone.

Roger.

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Hunter

So if you don't get an adult tag your hunt is 10 to 12 days on calves for the same cost as someone that got an adult tag. It's all about the money for the MNR. There is nothing there to help the moose population.

arvey

the way Mauro talked on the news everything was taken care of so why the public consultation. they have already made their decision and our input will fall on deaf ears. as roger said the real problem has not been addressed wolves and bears. I don't like the idea of party hunting 10 hunters looking for a moose have a better chance at success than 2 and don't forget all the rest of your party of 10 will have calf tags. the reason for not putting a stop to the party hunting is money , they are trying to keep as many hunters involved as possible for

licence fees . Mauro mentioned all groups were involved when working out the details of these new regs. does that mean the natives are on board with this? without addressing all the issues that have to do with the decline of our moose this is another program that is set up to fail.

you can shorten our season all you want wolves hunt all year round and bears from the time they wakeup in the spring till they go to sleep in the fall.

al arvelin

Resource Pimp

Some act as if hunting is a god given right and don't want change in the way they can hunt. Maybe it is a god given right, So is clean drinking water, but if you pi$$ in your own well what can you expect? Time for drastic change, no calves and bull only for a few years. I'm willing to sacrafice today for a better tomorrow.

• Like 2

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

naden

I agree roger seems like the beginning of the end to me. I'm all for a reduction in tags or season length if that is what its going to take to bring back the old days of moose hunting but I don't believe overharvest is the only thing affecting moose populations. No time or money is spent on studying the moose populations to determine what is happening, the easiest and quickest thing to do is limit hunting, which in my opinion will only delay the demise of the moose if it it is other factors affecting their health.

As far as hunting calves I could really care less if there was a calf season, I rarely see calves and our group hasn't harvested a calf in many years.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

I did the online survey.

Was glad to read season delay was start of gun season. Dont know whether that would mean longer archery season or 1 week break.

We dont hunt last week of archery due to extra traffic from gun hunters really shuts them down . Extended season would be awesome

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Guest LifeisGood

I have to agree with Rogers post that this is the beginning of the end for moose hunting. Opening the season around October 22 will end the fly-in moose hunts as weather dictates the hunt in northern WMAs. Lakes and rivers start to freeze at this time of year . The hunters from southern ontario will be more apt to encounter inclement weather and throw the towel in.

toma-hawk

One question on new regs, Is a yearling moose an adult moose or is he any moose in the new regs .I think I see a grey area here.

Rick.

Gwhunter99

I believe I'm going to save my 50$ and not apply this year. Only seen 2 moose in 6 years anyway

arvey

I believe I'm going to save my 50$ and not apply this year. Only seen 2 moose in 6 years anyway

i'm thinking the same. tired of giving them money , get an adult every 5 to 6 years,take my money and send it to the u.s. and employ some one else and then let everything go down the toilet. also looking at not buying an extra deer tag which I have since it started .

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Hunting regs have gone unchanged for decades. But times have changed. There was an uproar when walleye went from 6 to 4 that it would kill the industry. Camping, boat and RV sales haven't been higher.

We have the longest big game seasons around.I can target big game from mid august to dec 15th. Most places only have a week or two to fill a tag .

And as for inclement weather. You want cold weather . Meat spoilage reduces and game movement increases. Bugs go away natural food sources depleted visibility increases.

a one week delay should allow more rut activity to take place . making the hunt that much better every year.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

arvey

I have no problem with a later start to the season. in fact if they shut it down for a season or 2 i'd except that. but to not address the other issues killing our moose is what i'm not happy with. Mauro and the mnr are not worried about the moose because if they were they would address the problem . it's your cash they want . remember it's the politicians and the mnr that have come up with the regs. all along and look were it got us. unfortunately the mnr takes a lot of heat for things like this . when it's the guiding hand of the government that tells them what to do. a clear case of somebody who knows nothing giving direction to somebody that does.

toma-hawk

I would not like to see bull only hunting because I believe there is a shortage of bulls to service the cows now.There has to be a serviceable balance between cows and bulls so they can make the calves.there are a lot of problems and they all have to be addressed if you what a sustainable moose herd.

Rick

Gwhunter99

If coyote populations were reducing deer #'s in Iowa do you think their dnr would respond? I just wish our ministry saw the same value in our big game animals as our southern friends do. They make sure their resources are profitable and sustainable.... Reducing seasons is clearly not the answer here.

Lundy

I can't say I agree with calling this the beginning of the end. I think these first steps they've made are in the right direction and at least shows they're somewhat addressing this issue FINALLY, even if changes are long overdue. We all know there is more factors affecting the moose population than hunter harvest, which it seems they have chosen first to address. I think these steps will limit calf harvest and overall harvest, as well it will stop those years of rifle season opening in the peak of the rut when some of the moose are most vulnerable. A step in the right direction. One problem I can see is after the calf season, a hunter has a cow tag and comes across a cow and calf and shoots the cow. You aren't going to be allowed to shoot the calf so it is orphaned and left with slim to no chance of survival. If the calf recruitment is as low as they say it is right now, I don't see the number of orphaned calves being very high in this area.

From what I understand the hunter harvest management is part of Phase 1 of the Moose Project. Apparently Phase 2, which is supposed to address other issues such as predatation and habitat quality, is to follow shortly. So I think all we can do as a group right now is everyone put forth their ideas/input and hope the MNR actually does something with it.

tracker

Here is what John Kaplanis will be posting on our facebook page. Any questions can be directed to him on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Northwestern-Ontario-Sportsmens-Alliance/532907713473330

NOSA Welcomes Changes to Moose Management In North

There is some reaction and media response coming in already in regards to the EBR posting that went out on Friday Feb. 6th by OMNRF re: moose harvest strategy changes for northern Ontario. Generally, the response by hunters is positive. There has been some misinterpretation of the intended proposals, but generally a second read makes it a bit more clear. Here is some of the general media feedback I am giving to provide reasons why NOSA cautiously supports the Minister’s direction:

- In light of the new harvest management strategies being proposed under the Moose Project, the Northwestern Ontario Sportsmen's Alliance (NOSA) supports the Minister's decision to take action toward turning around a declining moose population in the northwest. However no single moose management strategy alone will affect moose sustainability over the long term, therefore we are also encouraged by Minister Mauro's commitment to also address other factors that are impacting moose populations in the northwest. NOSA looks forward to working with the Minister on that next phase of the Moose Project.

- the one week delay to starting moose hunting season is a balanced proposal that was considered along with many other season date change options, many of which would have limited hunting opportunities for northern residents specifically. This was opposed by NOSA strongly, so we see these current proposals as a much more acceptable approach to the moose harvest strategy. The one week delayed start was the one measure that made sense, in that it will take some pressure off prime breeding bulls during a time when they are most vulnerable, thus allowing for a more complete rut/breeding phase, with optimum calf drop timing in the following spring ..... which should help bolster calf survival in the longer term. Late calf drops are one of the theories being pitched on poor calf survival.... if this is true, then the one week delayed start should influence better calf survival as a result of them dropping in early spring.

- the two week calf harvest period starting two weeks after the gun opener this fall, will take significant pressure off calves ..... this is a major change from what is currently allowed in northern Ontario. So basically there will be no more calf hunting for 3 months straight. Again this is in response to concerns over a low number of calves making it to the mid winter (Moose Aerial Inventory) count. The delay to the start of the calf season will likely see many groups of moose hunters leaving northern Ontario with their adult moose tags filled in first week, while not willing to wait until week three to calf hunt.

- In 2016 however there will be only a one week between rifle opener for adults and the two week calf season which will start Sat. Closest to Oct. 22....then after the calf hunt is over...it’s adults only until end of the season ... DEC. 15.

Keep in mind also, the proposal calls for public comment. I would encourage intelligent commentary, with sound rationale provided as to any additional measures that OMNR might consider as we go forward. In all, these changes are very minor in overall scale of impacting hunting opportunities. I believe we can be comfortable going forward with the measures, to see if they have any effect on moose population...of course OMNR will need to track this. This is Phase I of a process aimed at changing how moose are managed on the landscape. Phase II will include predator and habitat management measures. Certainly a full return to the Spring Bear Hunt will expedite moose calf survivability in the spring and NOSA remains committed to lobbying this change. So we need to be patient and optimistic that things will improve. I certainly don’t think with these measures, that things will get worse for moose. But clearly more work needs to be done. There is no magic bullet. Moose population across much of the northwest is down by nearly 20% in most WMU’s.....and this trend is growing in other WMU’s also. This is undeniable.

NOSA wishes to thank Hon. Minister of Natural Resources/Forestry Bill Mauro for facilitating the changes we are witnessing. This is a slow process but the Minister seems to be enacting appropriate measures to get the ball rolling on moose management.

Thanks. Any comments or thoughts as we go forth, bring them to me directly or share here in our Face Book page.

John C. Kaplanis, Executive Director

Northwestern Ontario Sportsmen's Alliance

807-624-6143c kaplanis@tbaytel.net

• Like 1

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Kaptain Kirk

I think i am Going out of town. Go where they Manage the Game and not the Hunters. South & West

• Like 1

hunt or be hunted

So almost every point has been brought up on the board so far .....wolves,bears, low calfs numbers,general moose numbers down and so on . The point I don't see anything being addressed on is a aboriginal hunting ? Are they going to cut back their harvest at all ? Their allowed to hunt moose in the rut with a rifle and take as many as they choose to and want so why isn't this being addressed as an issue for less hunting pressure as well ?

• Like 1