• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Trevor Zimak

Mercury proves to be the BEST once again :)

Trevor Zimak

Check out Mercury Marine and Mercury Racing to see 2 of Mercury newest motors. The Verado 350 and Verado 400R. Both built off the standard Verado 2.6L Block -- 400 Ponies off that -- Go baby go!!! Wow!

http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboards/engines/verado-400r/

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/unleashed/

Can't wait to see one of these on a bass boat! LOL

Awesome!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

well it comes in a 20 shaft, and there are a few bass boats with an unlimited hp rating.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Trevor Zimak

A cool photo of the 400hp

post-56-0-23645700-1423858857_thumb.jpg

Iron Ranger

Congrats on your Merc million HP motor. I question the best however. There are many others that don't boast a million HP. They just put together a good motor that starts and is dependable. We are in FL for the winter and just a casual look about survey and I would say it is Yamaha 75%, Evinrude 10%, Hondas5% and then the balance Mercs. Just an observance. Guide boats are almost all Yamahas.

Like I said congrats to Merc for a million HP motor.

FYI, I'm an old timer that started with a green Johnson 2 1/2 HP and a 12' boat. I battled huge waves to get out to my spots and feel the small boat and motor helped me in the long run to learn how to deal with conditions

Have fun with the million HP motor until you loose control of it.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Some Old Guy

If you are an MMA fighter and they develop a weight class for ya because you stand 7' 8" tall and you weigh 540 lbs and ripped and you are the only one in it???? Ummmm guess what..... you're the champ!

But that aside I understand it's racing motor. And it comes with HEFTY PRICE TAG TOO!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Trevor Zimak

FYI, I'm an old timer that started with a green Johnson 2 1/2 HP and a 12' boat. I battled huge waves to get out to my spots and feel the small boat and motor helped me in the long run to learn how to deal with conditions

Have fun with the million HP motor until you loose control of it.

Ya Ya Ya... When I am 80 years old... I'll be saying, "sonny, when I was your age we used to drive down the lake 75mph with a 250HP and that was good enough... now you young whipper snappers drive like maniacs with your 1500HP Cold Fusion, Krytonite Super Charger High Octane motors...

And Iron Man .... back in your day, I bet you also walked to school in the snow 10 miles, barefoot and uphill both ways :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Iron Ranger

Ya Ya Ya... When I am 80 years old... I'll be saying, "sonny, when I was your age we used to drive down the lake 75mph with a 250HP and that was good enough... now you young whipper snappers drive like maniacs with your 1500HP Cold Fusion, Krytonite Super Charger High Octane motors...

And Iron Man .... back in your day, I bet you also walked to school in the snow 10 miles, barefoot and uphill both ways :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sorry if I was a bit terse and I apologize for that. I just see the whole fishing industry (yes it is an industry now) turning to the fastest boat, computers on the boats etc. I guess at my age I am sad to see that. I like going down or up the lake slow and taking in the beauty while I go from spot to spot. I'm not eighty years old and I embrace tech. Heck I'm on a computer! I do have a good depth finder and GPS. I do use them sometimes. My son uses them all the time.

I do miss some of the old days sometimes.

Again I apologize if I offended you and the new million HP motors.

BTW, I only had to walk a 1/2 mile to catch the bus in to Hibbing and my father built a shack for us to sit in until the bus came by.

Have a good day sir.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Monks

More HP no innovation. Merc seems to be slipping. No new innovation so let's make a bigger motor.

• Like 1

Trevor Zimak

Monks, I agree. Maybe I should change the title of the topic to just "Mercury displays new motors" LOL.

I knew Mercury was working on something for a good while now and thought that maybe they were going to come up with a new verado. Well... I was right about that, but I really thought their would have motor some improvements to the weight of these motors. At 630+ lbs for the Verado Pro and 660 for the standard Verado, I am sure their engineers could have found a way to reduce the weight without sacrificing anything. As for innovation... as much as I hate to say this... I have to say Evinrude has lead the way on that one the last year. By my God... are those G2's FUGLY!.

Iron Ranger.... no hard feelings taking. I like to get the pot stirring. It gets Roger more hits on his site. lol :) :)

Monks

Yes I thought Merc would respound to the G2 etecs with an improved 2 stroke Merc Opti. As for the new etecs it's a bold statement and by the current sales most are finding the new model and option to colour Match very appealing. It's a new look and design and the new Etecs have set the bar.

Lyle Reiner

The g2s are ugly as sin. But have absolutely set the bar high, I'm curious to see if yamaha or Honda will come out with something to compete...

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Monks

Love or hate the design. Many heads have been turned. Nice too see a Canadian company competing at the top level. I for one buy Canadian.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Etec and opti are Still a 2 stroke.whether they are deemed Reliable or not the cylinders are ported so increased wear will occur regardless of mpg it gets . And will not last like 4 stroke .

Getting excited about a new 2 stroke is like getting excited about a new typewriter.

The g2's claim of 500 hours with no scheduled maitenance is a joke . fuel filters thermostats .lower unit oil . Ya run those for 5 years.

they advertise better mpg and power than competition but only do comparisons to 4 strokes ?? Of course you get better mpg than a 4 stroke. But factor in cost of oil and it's worse.

and what dealer wants to sell an outboard that requires no maitenance for 5 Years? Hmmmmm

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Monks

Etec and opti are Still a 2 stroke.whether they are deemed Reliable or not the cylinders are ported so increased wear will occur regardless of mpg it gets . And will not last like 4 stroke .

Getting excited about a new 2 stroke is like getting excited about a new typewriter.

The g2's claim of 500 hours with no scheduled maitenance is a joke . fuel filters thermostats .lower unit oil . Ya run those for 5 years.

they advertise better mpg and power than competition but only do comparisons to 4 strokes ?? Of course you get better mpg than a 4 stroke. But factor in cost of oil and it's worse.

and what dealer wants to sell an outboard that requires no maitenance for 5 Years? Hmmmmm

Heard that same speech at GWC?! Quoting old technology is well old... like the amount of $ you dumped into your old merc. Enough said chum ;).

Yes the Evinrude etec makes the claim because the new technology works. Unfortunately some think otherwise and that they need to service a motor every year. It is nice saving a couple hundred bucks every spring. Innovation...

Squaretail

If you think an etec or any outboard for that matter will go 500 hours with no service you need to open your eyes. This is a marketing sceme that they use to improve sales. The sad part is on average the warranty period is past before the motors go in for there first service to find the lower unit is ground to pieces because no oil available will last long enough to sustain this service period. This gives etecs a worse reputation then they should have. In result you have an angry customer. Long story short if you own or plan on owning a outboard it needs yearly service. Whether you do it yourself or have it done professionally.

PRO V

I think as of now there are only a few companies that are able to hang the 350, it will be interesting to see what the boat manufactures have on the drawing table for the 400. There are grumblings in regards to reliability, for the weekend warriors it might do, but for the guys who ride them hard it might be a different story. .............If it comes out in a tiller I might consider it. :D

WalleyeWayne

It's interesting that motor size is getting any emphasis at all....especially when not long ago many tournaments were considering limiting motor size to 150hp to allow a more competitive field....? I make a living in the R&D world so I certainly understand the conceptual development begins 3-5 yrs before product development can reach retail status, but I find it hard to believe that this isn't just a market ploy on who's the biggest until they can really come up with something truly innovative. Without a doubt Evinrude's primary focus appeared to be on advancing technology.....and in parallel attempted to enhance that with a revolutionary cowling design to garner more attention.

• Like 1

Monks

If you think an etec or any outboard for that matter will go 500 hours with no service you need to open your eyes. This is a marketing sceme that they use to improve sales. The sad part is on average the warranty period is past before the motors go in for there first service to find the lower unit is ground to pieces because no oil available will last long enough to sustain this service period. This gives etecs a worse reputation then they should have. In result you have an angry customer. Long story short if you own or plan on owning a outboard it needs yearly service. Whether you do it yourself or have it done professionally.

I will assume you have never owned an Etec? Obviously not. Thanks for further claryfing my previous comment. Technology has improved. Etecs had one bad year with an injector design. It was fixed. I cannot tell you how many merc owners I know with a coil problem among other things.

As for a marketing scheme... really. Please post your current motor and experience with owning a newer 2 stroke.

Squaretail

Actually I have owned them in the past. But I have worked on them for about ten years as a licensed marine mechanic. Yes merc and etecs both have had issues but by far etecs have had many more issues. Don't get me wrong there are some etec models that are great runners and are reliable but the bad models plaque the etec name. Not just one year of injector failures approx 6. Just to clarify the coil issue with merc was a bad vendor issue and mercury handled quite well to strain out the bad coils and replace with new better built ones. This coil issue has now lapsed. I'm just saying a lot of issues etec have are related to lack of maintenance. And usually the customers are off warranty when the issues arise.

No outboard is perfect I just prefer the ones that give the most trouble free boating, mercury and Yamaha second.

CountDupu

Lol well monks weres that responce everyone is waiting for ?? Cat got your tongue ?

Trevor Zimak

Hey Monks,

Do the new ETEC's come with a built in fire extinguisher? :fire::fire: lol lol :)

• Like 1

Monks

Nice burn Zmax. Almost as good as all the gas you burnt towing that Pro XS of yours back and forth to Fort Frances.

• Like 1

Monks

Nope sorry CountDupu my tongue was busy elsewhere.

Mechanics know best. Of course they tend to promote the brand their certified to sale at their shop.

• Like 1