• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flybum

No DNR fly shop, no problem!!!

flybum

Kidding, it sucks not having the fly materals there. I went out today to grab some stuff and figured I would show alternative places for materials etc.

Blue stuff is called "Clawsome furry leg warmers" and is like extra select craft fur with tinsel/flag built in. (Party city next to toys R us 15$ but there's LOTS there)

2 packs of white marabou plumes, not too notch quality, but work great for buggers and smaller baitfish patterns. (Michaels 3$ each)

Craft sticks that are awesome when using glues etc so you don't have to use your bodkins(michaels 2$)

6m pearl beads. I use them for articulation beads. (3$ at michaels)

2 packs of needles. 2 extra long "soft sculpture doll needles" that are essentially bodkins without handles and the other pack is standard needle with EXTRA large eyelets for pulling rubber legs through foam poppers or deer hair divers (5$ at fabric land )

All together, about 30$. If you bought 2 packs of marabou and a name brand "leg puller" you would be at that price already.

post-1898-0-28699300-1423846586_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thefishleclair

Dollarama for some hackles. $1.25 for the bag.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Dollarama has a few items I regularly use but the feathers seem to be far from ideal. I'd say 95 percent of what I've seen I couldn't use on a fly.

Iron Ranger

You are absolutely right about alternative's to a fly shop or online. I have tagged along with my wife to her craft stores and found many similar materials to tie my jigs for many dollars less than online or a fly shop.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

#One

If you guys are looking for Fly Tying materials and gear Rockwood Baits and Silver Minnow Bait Shop carries a pretty good sized selection of stuff in his new location 361C Hodder Ave the old Village Market on Hodder Ave a couple blocks down from the tavern.

Go check it out! Also if there is anything you want that he doesn't have in stock or on display he can order anything just ask him.

His hours are currently Tues-Fri 8:30am-6pm and Saturdays 8am-2:30pm Closed Sundays and Mondays until the middle of May when he goes back to his Summer hours.

Walleye Man