• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mud trout

What type of fly fisher are you?

Guest mud trout

It's March and it's been way too long since I have cast a fly line. The good news is that most likely before the end of next month I'll be swinging a fly rod and livin large.

In the mean time, amuse me. I thought a good idea would be to find out what type of fly fishers we've all been communicating with here on the board. So here is a little muliple choice. Feel free to expand upon your answers.

What type of fly fisher are you?

1-You prefer to fish

A- dry flies

B- streamers

C- nymphs

D- traditional wets (includes winged and soft hackle wets)

E- poppers

2- your target mostly

A- brook trout

B- rainbow/steelhead

C- salmon

D-northern Pike

E- Bass

F-browns (because they are in the Arrow river)

3- type of rod you mostly fish

A- graphite

B- fiberglass

C- cane

4- your preferred rod action

A - fast

B- fast to medium

C- medium

D-slow

5- your preferred rod length

A-5 to 7 foot small creek rods

B- 7 1/2 to 8'

C- the all purpose 9'

D- 10 foot nymph/ mending rod

E- 11 to 12' switch rods

F- longer than 12' spey rods

6- the water you mostly fish

A - Lake Superior

B- inland lakes

C- large rivers ( Nipigon, Kam, Black Sturgeon etc)

D- Medium size rivers

E- small trout creeks

I'm sure there is much more I could think of but it's late....

Feel free to expand upon your ansrews, should make for great conversation. Please suggest other questions/catagories as well.

I'll post my answers after you guys have had a chance.

flybum

Alright... Here we go...

First off, Ya jerk!!! Going fishin....

1) I prefer anything that's visually active. Streamers, poppers and dries. I don't "Spey" or "swing" really, I'll try to stay away from that cult...

2) I'll go after anythig that has bad intentions. If anythig wants to eat a streamer or a big dry/popper, I'm good to go for that. Bass and pike are somemofy favs. I'm going to strip some big streamers down deep for lakers this year.

3)graphite and glass, I REALLY love glass, but I like graphite as well... I like fishing, so I'll uae whatever. Not familiar with came so I don't know...

4) all of the above. Currently saving my pennies for a Epic 990 Fast Glass.

5) 7 1/2- 9ft... I have a 10ft 8wt and just don't use it enough. I should be getting a switch Rod shortly, we shall see how that goes.

6) anywhere that I can do all of the above mentioned styles and types of fishing ! Fishing is my life, it's what I do and whats on my mind 90% of my days. Go away snow!!!!!!!

Guest mud trout

Whoa, where is this coming from, jerk fishin.... Cult talk..... LOL

You've been indoors way too long...

#5 - if you get that switch rod, you'll be swingin and speyin tell the pike come home. But I wouldn't get sucked in to that cult. :)

flybum

CULT!!!!!

The only reason I would be "switching" is because the rod is free... I've never wanted to get one or get into it. That being said, I'm almost anti-steelhead. I can go on forever about it, but I wont. :-) I also understand that it can be used for other fish instead of steelhead. I'm interested to try it and get good at it just to have it and the techniques under my belt.

Cult *cough cough*

brookiebuster

1) I'm a meat chucker kind of guy. Love fishing streamers. When the time is right I use drys.

2) By far brook trout are my favourite. Nothing as beautiful and fun to catch as a big wild brookie. Did quite a few bass trips last summer which were fun too. Also been trying for Browns had a few close calls this past year.

3)graphite

4)fast/medium

5)9ft

6)Mostly inland lakes/beaver ponds and small to medium rivers. Love going out and exploring river systems out in the bush and finding those honey holes.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Thefishleclair

I chuck dry and nymphs. Fish for brookies and bows. Run a startup graphite rod. 7 foot i think. Graphite. Was wondering how slipery the banks might be on the Nipigon River this time of year?

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

hookset

1. Every year its different. It's more of what I'm intrested in tying during the winter. I have become a huge fan of streamers.

2. Mostly brook trout, and rainbow.

3. I'm the kind of guy who gets attached to his rods. I've been casting the same graphite for 20 years. So graphite.

I would like to find a vintage Fenwick 7wt glass for my next rod.

4. Medium, only because of the previous question and thats all I know.

5. Mine is a 8', so I'll go with that.

6. Mid sized river, and small brook trout steam. I have two streams I'm itching to

explore more this summer.

7. Why fly fishing?

For me its the challenge. From trying to tie and mimic a river dwelling bug. Reading the currents and getting the pefect drift.

The strike when something I've created fools a brookie. To the action even a small brook trout in a current can deliver. And just being on the river.

While the winter carries on, I play the Fly Fishing Simulator app on my iphone. It kinda helps.

Guest mud trout

I like fishing for mutiple species. Used and own many rod lenghts and weights. Have fly fished lakes, many rivers and streams. But, I have a preference for small stream Brook trout fishing. I mean, I likely frequent my backwoods creeks at least 80% of my time spent fly fishing. A 12" in some of these small waters is a true trophy and rarer than 20+ out of the Nipigon river. It's all a matter of perspective.

1- dries, there's something about a rising Brookie, especially when it's to a fly of your own making.

2- as mentioned, Brook trout, is there a more beautiful fish in fresh water? I think not.

3-graphite.

4- medium fast, the best of both worlds.

5-prefer 9' - when used right, very few places that a 9' won't work. For the other places, i don't bother trying, or if it looks really promising, there is the option of using half of the rod or coming back another day with a shorter rod.

6- small stream, creeks, brooks, by whatever name.... Those wonderful little blue lines on topographical maps that get ignored by the vast majority of anglers.

7- I'm going to borrow Hooksets - why fly fishing-

I was just a wee lad... Actually, true story, my dad took we out to a small trout creek. He gave me a super long bamboo pole and put a worm on a bare hook. I swung that worm out over the creek and as soon as the worm touched the water a small brook trout met it at the surface. I took the trout on the rise, i was amazed.

I wanted it to happen over and over, but that was the only trout for the day. That image has stuck with me as my first angling experience. It wasn't until i discovered fly fishing that I finally got to witness the rise over and over again to my own hook. Only this time it's dry flies cast with a fly rod. Aside from all of this there is a relaxing solitude to the quiet hidden away places where brook trout live. I fly fish to get away. I swing a fly rod because it involves so much more than just fishing. It's something to do when I get away. Maybe it's just the excuse I need for getting out into the bush, far from the maddening crowd. It isn't my life, and I'm not sure I consider it a sport.

It is however the best fun I can think of in the great outdoors.

toma-hawk

Been fly fishing since I was 14 years old, am now 62 have lots of bad habits still can get the line out lol. First rod was a fiberglass (heddon 7wt) used it for years .My son has it still.I use graphite rods now. Like to fish small and large streams and stocked lakes for specks and rainbows and splake. Also like fishing for steelhead but I really don't like the politics of it.Enjoy tying my own flies but not very good at it , nice to catch fish on your own ties.Dry flies are hard for me to small hard to see lol.Will fish until I can't any more its In my blood (God willing) I have a 6 yr. old grand daughter that can tie her own woolly bugger now that really makes me happy. My grandson likes to cast lures off a dock for those darn bass geez i don't no where he got that from lol. No interest for fly fishing yet. Hope everyone has a good year fly fishing.

Rick

Guest scavs

thanks phellas. I am working in BC this winter and as beautiful as it is here all I'm thinking about is the north shore and getting home for April-May-June. What is the weather like in tbay, earlier melt than 2014?