• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hookset

Chossing a fly line.

hookset

Its time for a new line. My rod is a 5-6wt.The rod follows aftma standards, and after doing some research on modern lines. I'm thinking on going with a wf5f line. I rarely cast long distances, fishing mid sized rivers and streams. At first I was going to go with a 6wt. After reading how new lines have slightly gone out of the traditional aftma standard, and are slightly heavier, I'm going to go with the 5wt. Any suggestions on line brands would be appreciated.

flybum

I'm an Airflo guy, lots of different tapers. Depends on your main style of fishing.

hookset

After reading a little, I think I'm going to go with a airflo line. Main factor is the easy maintenance. Soap and water. I had a SA line that I bought a cleaning kit for and after 2 years the line was cracked. http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2011/06/15/caddis-fly-shop-rio-airflo-sa-fly-lines-review-product-guide/. A little info if anyone is interested. I was leaning towards Rio before I read this blog. And it will come down to price. If I can find a good deal on either line in the wt and tapper then I will buy what I think is the best deal. Thanks for the info flybum. Now I have more of a choice.

hookset

Guest mud trout

I have mostly Rio lines, includung the gold trout line. I like it for all around trout fishing, smaller rivers and creeks. It is great for delicate cast and accuracy and when needed you can punch out some distance. I have used Airflow lines as well and like them very much. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Both brands are top notch!

I have also had problems with SA lines and won't be buying another unless there is a super cheap clearance sale.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I have the super dry elite air Flo line, 6wt line on my 6 wt rod. Awesome line. Cast great short or long.

hookset

Hows the presentation on the smaller size flies? I'm going to try and fish #16 wet and dries this summer. My rod is a 5-6. I haven't run 6wt yet. So I would like the power to cast heavier flies but still the finesse for the dries. I know. I want my cake and to eat it too. As they say.

flybum

Castling them wouldn't be a problem, a subtle presentation would be the other thing. Slow your casting stroke and open your loops and it shouldn't be an issue. I've foshed sz14 dries with my 7wt and Airflo fourtyplus WFF line.

hookset

I'm pretty good at my presentation. I had to use my pike rig once when I forgot my trout rod at camp. I was able to somewhat cast a small dry. Keeping the 4 pound tippet intact was a different story. I ask more questions and do more research when choosing a line than when I buy a truck.

Guest mud trout

Yeah, too bad you can't test drive a fly line. That would be cool!

Years ago i had a cortland clear creek line, it had an extra long front taper. I didn't like the line at first but when I got used to it I realized it was truely a very good line. Great for delicate presentation. I don't know if they still make the line.

The Rio gold is very good as well, you can lay out small flies that float to the surface as long as the cast isn't too fast or too long. It's currently my go to line for small creeks.

brookiebuster

I have rio gold 6wff. Great line. Use it mainly for streamers but cast dries and nymphs no problem.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

toma-hawk

I use cortland line floating wf and sink tip for years on my single hand fly rods and rio line on my 2 Spey rods. Both lines work well for me. I regularly clean my lines it really helps.

Rick

hookset

One feature that keeps me swaying toward the rio line is the colour change in the line. So you know where you are on the head and taper. I've casted fine all these years without this system. But something about it has caught my intrest. I feel both lines are more than capable in what I'm looking for. Its just going to come down to colour.

flybum

The fish don't care what color!!!

Having the color change for head, I can understand, it's kinda nice. But anymore color change that isn't functional is kind of a moot point in my mind. But that's just my opinion. The more you focus on the colors and sections in your line, less you're going to focus on the actual casting.

hookset

I'll be watching the line instead of watching where I'm trying to cast to. lol. The rio line I'm looking at has like zero stretch. I'm affraid I'll be snapping the ends of my tippets without stretch in the line.

Guest mud trout

The colour change is so that you know you have the optimal length of line out to load your rod properly. It helps, it isn't necessary to cast your line but it helps for a little distance, less line out and you may not have loaded your rod quite enough, more line and you may have overloaded the rod.