• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toma-hawk

Fly tying vise

toma-hawk

Just wondering what type of vise do you use.Pros & Cons?

flybum

Well, I have 2.

I'll start this off by saying I will NEVER use a "non-rotary" vise , ever again. :-p

My favourite is my Peak rotary vise. Hold a hook like a bear trap, won't let go. The construction is great. Comes with C-clamp or weighted base. Cam-lock design with a super smooth rotary feature. My number one choice(I'm currently waiting on a pet for it, I was a bit rough a little while back)

I also have an Apex Anvil , simple, rotary and cam lock design. It doesn't have a bearing for the rotary feature, but still works great but for 50$ more, you can have 10x the vise by going to a Peak.

wampa

Best vise for your dollar is the Danica Danvice. Full rotary and under $100. As good as any vise costing 3 times as much.

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

TroutHunter

Best vise for your dollar is the Danica Danvice. Full rotary and under $100. As good as any vise costing 3 times as much.

Where did you pick up yours? I'm needing to upgrade from my first cheap vise i bought at Walmart haha...

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

wampa

Where did you pick up yours? I'm needing to upgrade from my first cheap vise i bought at Walmart haha...

Amazon.ca

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Guest mud trout

I have a Danvise and like it very much. It is now acting up a bit, not holding hooks as well as it once did but i have been using it for many years. I know there are many commercial tyers who use them, so they have to be good enough....

I may be in the market for a new vise soon.

wampa

You can get a new jaw for the Danvise, as they can become damaged if you set the tension too high for the hook. One of the only knocks I've read about them. I like mine very much. Rotary is the way to go especially if you are new to tying as you will just learn to work that way from the beginning.

GC 54

Well I HAD a vise

• Like 1

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Thefishleclair

George Ill take a look at it.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

wampa

I was at Rompaii's today and noticed that they had a Danica Danvise and the optional extension arm (it makes tying larger flys easier) for sale.

TroutHunter

Just purchased the Griffin Mongoose rotary vise... Anyone use one? Haven't tied anything yet as I'm still awaiting shipping. Found a good deal on eBay and couldn't resist!!

Tight lines!

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

flybum

Heard a lot of good things of that vise. I've used many and have a favourite. I've used vises from 35$ to 400$, hell, i started on a 35$ bass pro and tied some decent flies!! Whatever you get youll make it work and develop a routine that works for you.

I believe the guys at flyfishfood.com did a review on it as well.

Good luck and tight wraps!

pastor norm

I bought one last year and I have been tying everything from tiny cronnies to big deceivers with tandem hooks. The vice tightens in a two step process (little screw holds the hook first and the big screw tightens it... the reverse when you want the hook out of the jaws). That seemed odd and cumbersome to me at first but within a few flies it became natural and the jaws do hold the hook securely. Because I haven't owned a rotary vice before, I keep forgetting to turn the fly itself rather than wrapping over and under. So I haven't used the full potential yet. I am happy with the product and it didn't break the bank.

TroutHunter

I've been tying (began 4yrs ago) with a $50 walmart vise... I've since improved (or so i think haha) in my tying and want to see how a quality vise compares. I'm sure it'll take me some time go get used to being the first rotary vise i've owned... looking forward to trying it out!

Cheers

Thefishleclair

I find tying to be relaxing! Enjoy the new vice.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

It's awesome. I recently picked up the peak. Amazing difference! More fun to tie, more relaxing, less frustrations, and my hooks NEVER slip which is a welcome change from my old vice.

Guest Beamer

I have a Renzetti traveller, great vise handles any hook size from 18's to 2/0 with out changing anything. Also is a quick change over for tying tube flies