• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BenjisGrandpa

STEELHEAD!!

James01

I was jus jokin, sorry.

No harm done... and no offense taken. Perhaps what I should have written was "No wife, hence the reason I can spend a Monday night... drinking and tying roe bags." ;)

I was going to make a joke about getting drunk and waking up smelling like fish, but...

Cheers

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

shmanks

No harm done... and no offense taken. Perhaps what I should have written was "No wife, hence the reason I can spend a Monday night... drinking and tying roe bags." ;)

I was going to make a joke about getting drunk and waking up smelling like fish, but...

Cheers

Don't worry we have all gotten drunk and smelt like fish in the morning

ahhhhhh I can't wait for smelt fishing haha

kbrest

well that escalated quickly.

• Like 1

spindilla1

It always does round here.

tronnyd88

the mac if looking good took a walk today ice comming off the bottom and lots of water flowing

Monks

Drove by the Wolf today, flowing like a river of chocolate milk, no ice from what I could see, for this interested in snagging a few trout ;). . . Kidding of course, go barbless :).

CoryCo

I hit a deer last night heading to the wolf lol. Not a good way to start steelie season

manthew

McKenzie was open and flowing good. Mouth has a massive ice jam/whirlpool. Hopefully the bay will open up soon.

scandiman

Not sure where the whole "eating consistency" thing comes from with respects to wild vs. store bought. I find the wild steel to taste amazing and will take one over store bought any day of the week

• Like 1

tronnyd88

drove by the current river today above bulivard is breaking up nice. seen someone putting waders on down at the mouth also

James01

I watched an Otter on Lake Tamblyn today, sitting on the ice contently eating a big sucker it caught, and going in and out of the water through a hole in the ice, rubbing itself on the ice, chasing off the crows, and doing other Otter 'stuff'. It was nice to see, and if it weren't for some idiotic university students I probably could have watched it all afternoon. My point is that, like the Otter, I am tempted to try for even suckers at this point. I could drop a line at the edge of the ice on Lake Tamblyn, who knows...

Up around the university the MacIntyre open and flowing fast. Although Lake Tamblyn is still covered in ice (as I mentioned in my above tale about the Otter and Sucker and idiotic university students). McVicars is flowing well as well.

Is there a water temp. that the rivers/creeks need to hit to get the Steelhead running? I used to judge the time to start fishing Steelhead by the presence of an old portugese guy along McVicars, ususally carrying a large Steelhead to his truck. I may be a little more 'scientific' this year.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

bin fishin lots

I believe it needs to be 40 degree before there running and active. I could be wrong tho.

bin fishin lots

Darker water heats up quicker than gin clear water if that helps

eyelander

I watched an Otter on Lake Tamblyn today, sitting on the ice contently eating a big sucker it caught, and going in and out of the water through a hole in the ice, rubbing itself on the ice, chasing off the crows, and doing other Otter 'stuff'. It was nice to see, and if it weren't for some idiotic university students I probably could have watched it all afternoon. My point is that, like the Otter, I am tempted to try for even suckers at this point. I could drop a line at the edge of the ice on Lake Tamblyn, who knows...

Up around the university the MacIntyre open and flowing fast. Although Lake Tamblyn is still covered in ice (as I mentioned in my above tale about the Otter and Sucker and idiotic university students). McVicars is flowing well as well.

Is there a water temp. that the rivers/creeks need to hit to get the Steelhead running? I used to judge the time to start fishing Steelhead by the presence of an old portugese guy along McVicars, ususally carrying a large Steelhead to his truck. I may be a little more 'scientific' this year.

That sucker was probably a resident of Lake Tamblyn and not one out of Superior. I work at the university and see them in the lake in the summer.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Thefishleclair

Wonder if my spot has water to fish in?

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

James01

That sucker was probably a resident of Lake Tamblyn and not one out of Superior. I work at the university and see them in the lake in the summer.

I was assuming that... I can't see a sucker making it up the fish ladder. And me too... except, I have never actually watched a sucker swimming around Tamblyn. I have watched schools of minnows (or small fish) though, enough that I have been tempted to throw a minnow trap in.

- Henry David Thoreau

Mykiss

Suckers from Lake Superior migrate up the fishway at Lake Tamblyn and above the expressway.

eyelander

I was assuming that... I can't see a sucker making it up the fish ladder. And me too... except, I have never actually watched a sucker swimming around Tamblyn. I have watched schools of minnows (or small fish) though, enough that I have been tempted to throw a minnow trap in.

They can make it up the fish ladder because I have seen them do it, and they can also get through the gates at the other dam when it is opened on occasion. The suckers in Tamblyn are probably from Superior originally, but most are probably year round residents now spawning and breeding upstream.

James01

They can make it up the fish ladder because I have seen them do it, and they can also get through the gates at the other dam when it is opened on occasion. The suckers in Tamblyn are probably from Superior originally, but most are probably year round residents now spawning and breeding upstream.

Wow... who knew? Well, you obviously. I just gained a whole new respect for suckers.

Behold, the mighty sucker:

northern_hogsucker_close.jpg

Spawn in the Spring - check. Able to leap from the water - check. Readily available - check. Fight hard - check.

Heck, who needs Steelhead? That is, other than a couple for the smoker.

• Like 1

- Henry David Thoreau

fisherdude

That's crazy I never knew they got past the ladder at tamblyn. I figured some could cuz I've seen the odd one higher up but didn't think most got up that high even. What other dam?

eyelander

That's crazy I never knew they got past the ladder at tamblyn. I figured some could cuz I've seen the odd one higher up but didn't think most got up that high even. What other dam?

The other dam is the one that has gates. In a high water year they can be opened to release water to keep Tamblyn at a specific level. The conservation authority is responsible for it I believe.

fisherdude

Ohh yeah ok I know what your talking about now. Couldn't think of it for the life of me. Totally forgot that was there