• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
randomheroj

Any tips for spring bear hunt?

randomheroj

Just looking for a tips on spring bear hunting. Thanks

gsambray

Find or make a food source and sit and wait. Springtime plus food source equals hungry bears

Guest TheRealSaltwaterFisherman

Bears love marlin. You're gonna wanna go to Lake Superior on May 7th at exactly 4:29pm. At this time you will see the great bear elder. He will then tell you that he is the great elder bear. He will prepare a marlin feast for you in celebration of your arrival. After your stomach is full, discuss with him recent politics and events. Then when he goes to prepare marlin dessert you stab him in the back with your knife. He will exclaim, "You stabbed the great elder bear in the back!" Then your bear hunt will be truly successful.

gsambray

WTF?????

randomheroj

Bears love marlin. You're gonna wanna go to Lake Superior on May 7th at exactly 4:29pm. At this time you will see the great bear elder. He will then tell you that he is the great elder bear. He will prepare a marlin feast for you in celebration of your arrival. After your stomach is full, discuss with him recent politics and events. Then when he goes to prepare marlin dessert you stab him in the back with your knife. He will exclaim, "You stabbed the great elder bear in the back!" Then your bear hunt will be truly successful.

somebodies had to much peyote

Guest 2112

i tried bear hunting for the first time last spring. I learned one thing, if you bait them, they will come. I basically just started saving food scraps and leaving them in a 5 gallon home depot bucket. I also burnt sugar alot. Also, fryer grease!

pbear

I wonder if they will open up hunting to all wmus this year or just 13&14?

Guest 2112

i thought they were going to leave it as it was last year. it was a 2 year pilot project.

pbear

I see that in last year's . New regs should be out soon.

toma-hawk

You better get out and enjoy it this year,it might not be on next year the way they set it up you almost think it was done that way so it would fail.Hope fully the OFAH and NOSA will keep lobbying the MNRF to fully instate it next year.

Rick

MDR

I'm looking forward to getting out for bear this spring, going to be my first shot at a spring bear and I have been saving my bacon grease :)

gsambray

Is using roadkill deer legal for use as bear bait

Jelly Belly

Don't be discouraged when you start baiting if it takes a bit it may get hit then not then hit before it really picks up. When starting a bait I use to take liquid smoke and put it in a spray bottle you van but these new. Put it on stream and spray all around and as high as you can on some trees around you bait. I would do this till the bait started getting hit good. higher the better as wind really puts the scent out there.

Guest fish9876

Baiting is a lot of work. The way I do it is ill make several bait sites and just keep checking daily to see which ones are getting hit first. If some havent been hit within a week Ill remove the bait and move it to the baits that are being hit. Meat is the best bait for bears hands down but bread corn and basically any other food will also work. In order to keep several bears on a bait site you will need to constantly be baiting so you need LOTS of bait to keep them on your site otherwise they're going to move on. If you have a hunting partner for bears it will make life a heck of a lot easier bcuz you can take turns baiting everyday or every two days bcuz like I said bear baiting is A LOT of work and is very time consuming. Start with 3-4 baits ( no too close together) then monitor which ones get hit and which ones dont and just focus on the baits that are being hit.

fishman1

Best bait hands down is sweets, donuts cakes etc. it's also easier on their stomachs, they don't want anything to hard to digest early in the spring while their stomachs aren't good after the long winter.

Guest 2112

oatmeal, strawberry jello, marsh mellows and buttery maple syrup. dump some hot water on that and make it the consistency of thick but eatable oatmeal. they lick it clean!

Guest 2112

Is using roadkill deer legal for use as bait?

im sure it is. you have to call the mnr and report it and you should be good to go.

Guest fish9876

Hmm thats really weird Ive never heard that about spring bears not wanting meat or rotting meat. My cousin put me onto using rotting meat last year ( i usually use doughnuts, corn and apples) for the fall hunt but I used meat on top of all of that last spring and fall and usually the meat was the first item consumed at the bait by the bears in both spring and fall. My cousin has done very well for big spring bears in alberta since he moved there baiting ONLY with expired meat from the edmonton area butcher shops so I thought I'd give it a try last season here in Thunder Bay...will be doing it again this year thats for sure the trail cams were littered with bear pics. Hopefully I can find time away from work this spring unlike last year.

MDR

Nothing but dog food, syrup and bacon burns for me. Hope that tempts yogi to come for a look.

Thefishleclair

I see lots of doughnut trees.

Best bait for em is meat. They are used to feeding on rotting flesh. And also taking down calves and cripple moose and deer. That meat is not consumed all at once most times. My best memories bear hunting waswhen I was 6-7 learning to drive the 14 boat with the ole 4 hp envinrude. Old man at the bow and about 200 lbs of rotting magety laden burlap sacs of meat seperating us. Then draginf the sacs up the shores to the tripods that were the bait stations. This year Ill be trying to do a spring bear hunt. Skinned beaver will be fillin my station.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Kaptain Kirk

SKINNED BEAVERS IS WHAT I USE, AND I HAVE HAD GOOD SUCCESS WITH THEM.

SherpaJ

When setting up baits, chose an area with relatively high elevation so that the wind will carry the scent better. Ridges where deciduous and thick evergreen bush meets is an ideal location for a bait since big boars can be wary of baits during the daylight. The evergreens cover will make wary bears feel safer, meaning they'll likely come to the bait earlier (in the evenings).

It's also very advantageous to run a "stink bait", especially when establishing a new bait. A stink bait is pretty much any rotting meat (I use fish guts since they're the most pungent) hung in a five gallon pail between two trees as high as you can get it. This will attract bears from a much further radius than just a standard bait. And as long as you have LOTS of bait, you will keep those bears around. If they can't sit there and feed for hours till they're full, then they'll wonder off elsewhere.

What to bait with has been discussed ad nauseam online but one point thats been missed here is DON'T PUT YOUR BAITS TOO CLOSE TOGETHER! Whats "too close"? Thats debated between some but 10kms between baits is my minimum. Most of the guys I know don't run baits closer than that either.

One year, had a cinnamon bear at one bait in the morning and he was shot at a bait 9.6kms away (on the opposite side of the lake) that evening! They aren't afraid to travel great distances for food.

Guest fish9876

Good luck and safe hunting to everyone thats going bear hunting this spring! Its on!