• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hookset

Spinning deer hair

hookset

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

flybum

:-) did I make it look too easy? Lol. Best thing to do is shave your head first so you can't physically pull your hair out.

hookset

lol. I did just get a hair cut. Im trying to spin it behind a cone head. The cone head keeps cutting my thread. Stupid sculpin patterns. lol. what is the thread you use flybum, gel something?

flybum

... Cone head shouldn't cut your thread. When you're "spinning" the hair , you should be in the middle of the hair. 2-3 wraps and then tie off.

hookset

I try to pack the hair as close to the cone as possible. When I go finish, the thread rubs the edge of the cone and cuts. Plus the deer hair doesn't seem to spin as well as my other colours, so I'm applying more pressure to make it flare and spin. And then snap goes the the thread, and the swears start rollin off the tongue. lol.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Use gsp thread, it will make life much easier. Here's one I recently did.

post-374-0-06570500-1428569233_thumb.png

Thefishleclair

Hookset. Ill be placing a order in for some stuff. Some GSP thread on its way.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

flybum

Before GSP, I tied pretty tight deer hair, after lots of swearing and find tuning. There's s me fines if you're not using a Gel Spun thread. I used a 210 denier, but it's pretty heavy for small patterns. A 70D GSP has the smaller diameter and the strength to deal with the hair but cuts like a razor blade if you apply too much pressure(too much pressure with a 70D, GSP, isn't that much pressure)

Thefishleclair

I brought in the 200. Happy spinng!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

hookset

Ha, it's never happy spinning. Looking back, I used to spin lots of deer hair, and was actually not to shabby at it. I don't know when I lost the nack for it. Must have been the ten year break from tying that did it.