• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis Schallock

2015 Moose

eddylives

This is bound to fail.

The easy out is not going to work here.....the predators will still be wiping out the herd....hunting has a minimal impact compared to them.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

hookset

Best way imo, is for hunters to have filled a wolf, deer (doe), and bear tag before they are eligible to apply for a moose tag.

• Like 1

Guest fish9876

Anybody know when tags are avail? I need a new xmas tree decoration for this year...

thegibber

There definitely needs to be better control of the predators, but what really gets me is that the ministry would let the moose population go extinct before addressing the real problem which is the natives. If you go into Newfoundland, you can't drive 1 km without seeing a moose. Why, because they don't have natives there. I'm not trying to sound racist. I just think that they should follow the same rules as everyone else.

• Like 2

arvey

no one thing or peoples are responsible for the decline of our moose , it's a combination of everything the lead to this. including us hunters, you may not want to hear it but it's true. how many of us shot more moose then we really needed , sure we had tags for all of them but still.

or how bout the guys that shot moose for somebody else and got them to tag it . I ran into groups of 10 and 6 would have adult tags although that was years ago still it didn't help. we all thought there was lots of moose and they'll never run out surprise. then there's the man date of the liberals to bring in caribou and keep the moose numbers down ,so there's more to this than just bad management.

1 thing for sure don't push for a cancellation because ounce it's gone you'll never get it back I don't trust any politician that much . the bear hunt is a good example.

al arvelin

hookset

To touch on what al has said. I can't tell you how many times I've heard hunters say, that they don't want anymore moose, but they can't let the extra adult tags go to waste. Its a shame to hear a moose is wasted so that tag isn't. In the last 14 years I've cut a lot of moose and heard this said multiple times in a hunting season. And every year I cut less and less moose. Last year I think I've cut the most calfs I had ever cut in a season. Even when hunters know there is a problem, we can't help ourselves.

• Like 1

Monks

There definitely needs to be better control of the predators, but what really gets me is that the ministry would let the moose population go extinct before addressing the real problem which is the natives. If you go into Newfoundland, you can't drive 1 km without seeing a moose. Why, because they don't have natives there. I'm not trying to sound racist. I just think that they should follow the same rules as everyone else.

As I'm in fishing mode, left this but... its just too wrong sorry.

Newfoundland has no Natives for Racist reasons. That is a history read. They also have no wolves because of poor wildlife management. Again terrible wildlife management choices. Now they have the most unbalanced moose ecosystem in the world and the only people whom are not complaining are the hunters and or hunting providers. Have you seen the fatality and car accident stats in NFLD with moose? Non-hunters not too happy.

NFLD is the perfect example of what never to do. Kill all the predators. Sure they have a high density of moose now, just wait, they will get sick, they are already growing smaller antlers and sub coming to classic over population characteristics.

OMNR is not letting the population go extinct. Yes not a fan of the moose mgmt guidelines as of now, however at least they are doing something. Definitely cut tags and PLEASE get rid of the most ridiculous system in the world of allowing everyone who buys a tag to shoot a calf.

• Like 1

Spectre

Just a question about how this is gonna work now with only a two week calf hunting season and party hunting. So say in a party of 5, 1 person has an adult tag everyone else has calf tags, outside of those two weeks would anyone else in the party even be able to carry guns out hunting? :smiley-violent069:

dano

Of course , as long as everyone that is hunting with your party has a valid moose license.

Snotrocket

Yeah sucks to be you guys :) I always exercise my rights see you guys while your bow hunting and i got my rifle

hank

Been hunting moose for 43 yrs. and will not buy a tag this year. Instead I will get more deer tags and keep busy with them. I just can't see shooting a cow and leaving the calf to fend for itself. The deer population has had a big impact on the moose population in and around Thunder Bay, Lets reduce the deer population and see what happens. Oh, and close the season for moose for a few years and see how they do with less deer.

• Like 1

hank

Just talked to my father that is 83, he seems to remember there not being an open season back in the day for moose.There was a lot of deer around then, but few moose. Can anyone confirm this?

dano

Yep '30's to the 50's I believe, no moose season. And way more deer than we have had recently.

Travis Schallock

I've heard that from some of the old timers. Thunder Bay was traditionally deer country with few moose. There was a string of bad winters in the 50's?? that took out a lot of the deer. After that the moose population took off. As much as todays hunters don't like it, and don't remember it is going back to the traditional population trends. I could be wrong, but I remember hearing this from a biologist some time ago.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

hank

So, leaving the moose alone and hunting deer for awhile does seem to make sense. Pass the thought on to your hunting pals.

fishman1

So, leaving the moose alone and hunting deer for awhile does seem to make sense. Pass the thought on to your hunting pals.

i think the wolves have our ( former) deer problem sorted put quite nicely.

Thefishleclair

Planning a caribou hunt already for 2016 either MB or PQ

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Kaptain Kirk

It Time for Free Wolf,& Bear Tags, and Quite Spraying the new grow with the pesticides, Then may be the Moose will have a chance.

Gwhunter99

In Alberta deer and moose populations are stable together. Why the big difference here in ontario?

Thefishleclair

Possible that they hunt varmit allot. Do they still have spring bear hunting?

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Gwhunter99

Possible that they hunt varmit allot. Do they still have spring bear hunting?

Yes they do have spring bear hunt. I believe the wolf population is lower as well.

more farm land might have something to do with it?

Thefishleclair

Lots of yotes out that way. I imagine the calves must get picked off by a pack of them roaming fairly easy. Would be interesting to do some quick stats and seasons and cross referance with some dynamic graphs to see the collation between provinces and annimal populations. Hunter harvest success for all big game and estimated animal populations.

Who wanna do it?

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

dano

Out west they use completely different management for game, i.e. they actually manage their game populations. The government also doesn't have a problem closing seasons for game when they are declining or the winter was bad ( and the hunters don't whine about it either) . They also have a preference point system for some draws. It would be difficult to compare western provinces with ontario as far as game populations. How many species of big game are there out west, more than we got. And don't forget the millions of acres of private land out there that is off limits for most, unless you know someone or want to pay.