• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  

gas or electric for a 16 foot canoe

Im trying to decide whats better for my canoe a gas or electric trolling motor. I will use it for trolling not travelling so small and light weight would be first choice as i my have to carry it into some lakes. Electric motors are light but batteries are heavy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Monks

I would go gas. A little 4 horse is much lighter, compared to an electric tiller and batteries. And you can bring a little gas can and still be much lighter.

thanks thats what i was figuring. Im looking at a Honda 2.3 it sounds like a good motor for what i want.

hookset

ive always wanted to put a bow mount on a canoe. that way its hands free and would have way better control of the canoe in the wind. I feel to cramped up trying to use a motor on a canoe.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

for what its worth I just used an electric 45lb on my 16ft flatback canoe. just powered it off my booster pack. ( not ideal for long runs but very compact)

prefect for small lakes like a mile long. wouldn't wanna run much faster in a canoe. moves boat way faster than anyone could paddle
Light and easy to cary in ,
silent
never stalls, or floods or needs to be started.
actually has reverse not like a small outboard that just turns around
multiple tilt angles
adjustable height.
indestructible prop
extendable tiller
and im sure way cheaper than an outboard
plus booster pack charges with cigarette plug on drive home . or even a small wheelchair battery would work even better.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Adrian

I have done a lot of fishing from a canoe, and I troll using one hand on my paddle, and fishing rod in the other. I paddle backwards while fishing. I place the top of the paddle against the back of my right shoulder and pull the paddle with my right hand towards the bow moving the canoe backwards. I have done this for extended periods of time, a few hours easily. Steering is easy, and when you get a fish, put the paddle in the canoe and have fun. Many lakes I fished like this were a couple days and several portages in. Carrying any kind of motor was out of the question. Usually my wife is with me and no issues with both of us fishing from the canoe in this fashion. I usually use my bent paddle (from XY Paddles in Atikokan). It works a little better than a straight paddle.