• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tbchance

Salmon

Tbchance

Looking to get out on superior this year. I have a 16.5 deep and wide lund. I had succes on nip river in the fall and have heard of people doing well not far from the marina. Any advice on somewhere close to Thunder Bay would be appreciated.

Thefishleclair

Outside the breakwall sometimes works.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

pastor norm

Been wondering when this thread would show up.

I haven't been out yet. While I have caught salmon trolling

outside of the breakwater and the Welcomes, my favourite

place to fish for them is from Silver Islet. The boat launch is

looking a little shady despite the 5 dollar fee, however.

Thefishleclair

Yeah. Where does the money go?

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

McGinnis_Fishing

Just thought id bump this thread up to see how everyone is doing out on superior? I wont be able to get out on the big lake for a few weeks but always like to hear how the bite has been! Anyone been out lately?

Guest fish9876

Not as good this spring as previous years. Hit 4 so far biggest just under 6lbs two about 2lbs and another just over 4lbs. Have aabout 8 nasty boys left and they have been caught on red and blue so far. Fishing the t bay area. Giving superior a bit of a break this weekend and going to Ignace for lakers and eyes.

McGinnis_Fishing

Not as good this spring as previous years. Hit 4 so far biggest just under 6lbs two about 2lbs and another just over 4lbs. Have aabout 8 nasty boys left and they have been caught on red and blue so far. Fishing the t bay area. Giving superior a bit of a break this weekend and going to Ignace for lakers and eyes.

On my way down to ignace tomorrow myself! Stayin on sandbar lake and maybe doing a day trip somewher else on sunday!

Jelly Belly

Marathon has been on and off. I have got 35 so far this year. My buddy was on Lake today and got 10. They went 30 km east of marathon on the big lake today for them.

fishman1

Marathon has been on and off. I have got 35 so far this year. My buddy was on Lake today and got 10. They went 30 km east of marathon on the big lake today for them.

10 is a fantastic day.

It's always on and off for the salmon, they are feeding machines and chase the bait.

Jelly Belly

Yes they should be at the pic river very soon. We have been chasing then down east of the pic. We found last year it's east before they hold up at the pic for a bit. After that I'll go to wawa chase them there. Then nipigon is Sept then it's done for me. Wow did I just make summer seem short.

Jelly Belly

Not sure of others do this or not but we run a smelt in a anchovie meat head and have good success. Just thought I'd pass on something I do when I fish for them

fishman1

Not sure of others do this or not but we run a smelt in a anchovie meat head and have good success. Just thought I'd pass on something I do when I fish for them

are you running a flasher in front of that?

Thunder Bay Area seems to be more of a spoon fishery.

Jelly Belly

No will start running spin doctors in a couple weeks though

Jelly Belly

For lures our main lures are northern king monkey puke and northern king antifreeze

Junior

I was out on Black Bay on Saturday. We managed to pick up 2 Lakers and 2 Salmon. Both salmon were around 4-5 lbs. Missed one salmon 50' behind the boat when it spit the hook.

I wasn't marking much for fish or bait balls and the action was a little slow but I'm thinking it will start to pick up soon. The fish seemed to like the orange monkey puke and the bloody nose spoons.

Next week I will try using the anchovies behind the flasher to see if that improves the success rate.

Jelly Belly

We run 4 riggers and if 3 people on boat two dipsys. At all times 2 lines will have meat.

pastor norm

There are salmon in the bay. At least better than last year. However I haven't had a chance to get out yet.

I think when it comes to choosing either flutter spoons or bait pinned in teaser heads behind flasher, water

clarity makes a difference. If the water is crystal, you better be trolling fast so that the fish strike out of reaction

and haven't had the leisure time to inspect your bait/spoon from far away. Clear water for me means

exclusively trolling flutter spoons. Flashers also put a lot of strain in the tackle if it's trolled fast.

I have had some good success trolling flashers with teaser heads. On the west coast, bait trolled slow is the

best way to bring in the larger chinooks. I am pretty certain it would also hold true for the larger salmon here.

Gord Ellis seconded that opinion in an article he wrote years ago. But because rigging heavier with bait is more

complicated and not really compatible with spoon trolling (different speeds), I have just simplified and gone to

spoons only. I will save my heavier gear for my next trip to the coast in September.

If you think I just made a mistake by going with spoons only, give me a private msg. Love to hear your

reasons.

fishman1

Orange monkey puke IS the go to lure in black bay. Never had much ( any ) luck with meat.

That being said, I have never caught a fish, of any kind with a lure in my tackle box. For some strange reason, it has to be in the water. Haha.

The hot lure always seems to be the one tied on your line. Although they may seem to key in on a particular colour or bait, they are feeding machines and ( almost) anything will produce a strike when going thru a school of feeding fish.

I have heard of the odd good report, but these individuals are putting in long long hours to achieve these results.

Jelly Belly

Good read. Everyone uses what they have the most success doing. I'll try anything. If someone is using a red devil I'll try and give a red devil a chance. I never troll faster then 2.7 I've even went down to 1.8 and had tremendous success. Now my dollars spent are way more then fish caught. Last year all year I was lucky to catch 76 total for the year. Started using meat last year near the end. This year I'm at 35 aND still got to end of Sept. No offence to magazines but I don't get caught up to much in reading them. Just thought I'd pass on a few things I use.

• Like 1

pastor norm

Hey JB.... you usually fishing in ultra-clear water or a little green or brown?

Jelly Belly

If I in clear water I'll put the lures or even the flashers 60 sometimes even a hundred feet past the balls

McGinnis_Fishing

This is all good information and always fun trying new things! I usualy stick with my blue nasty boys on atleast one line. Then usualy a plumb, monkey puke, watermelon on the others. Always seem to be my go to colours for spoons. Never tried trolling with meat though! Might have to give it a try this season!

Squaretail

I find one thing that works on a slow bight is if you are marking bait balls and are showing fish around the bait ball target a large variance in speed can cause a strike. I usually troll 2.5 but will try slowing slightly and increase to 5 before returning to 2-3 would not believe how many times this has worked in black bay or marina area. Sometimes double headers.

Guest fish9876

Does anybody use those squid lookin things behind flashers and dodgers? I try them every year and cant seem to catch salmon on them unless im near Rossport.I agree that the fish in the t bay area hit different stuff than the ones in the rest of the lake. Ive learned a few things the past few years when it comes to salmon. I usually troll between 1. 5 and 2. 0 but have had great luck trolling over 3 certain days. And by had great luck I mean not this year lol. Also I like the idea of trolling 4 riggers. Ive learned to hate stackers but like having 4rods on 4 lines instead of sliding a cheater onto a mainline because we had days last year where we wouldnt have got double headers had we not had a line on its own rod.